Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: THE reason Ebid is slow to load

Default Re: THE reason Ebid is slow to load

Quote Originally Posted by bluejellybaby
    fast as anything 4 me, then i have broadband :lol:
    me too!!

hmm, this was an older post.

There are two main reasons for things being slow...

If an image is linked without height and width being specified in the link, then MSIE will have to download the image before it knows how big it is. When that image is in a table (as most pages are) then it waits until it knows about everything in the table before drawing it.

This is why you can sit with just the ebid logo at the top for ages, and then everything appears suddenly.

Opera (and I think netscape, as used by AOL - long time since I used NS) is a bit more clever, and will show a placeholder instead of the image of a size equal to the "alt" text (the tooltip text you get if you point at an image and wait). This means that when the image finally arrives, it might have to adjust the display, causing some flickering and things moving about.

Opera believes that you want to see as much as possible as quick as possible; MSIE prefers to wait until it knows it can draw it "correctly".

The solution? Ensure every image has height and width tags on it. (Of course, with images called from remote web sites, this can be a bit tricky..)

In the case of thumbnails, these do have the sizes defined - to resize the original image to a smaller one. But it's still the 30-40K image that people uploaded for the auction itself, so because the filesize is big, it still takes forever to load when you have a listing page with ~100 of them on it, especially on dial-up. Only advantage this has is if you click on one, it'll still be in cache, so the auction page itself will load quite quickly!

The darkside got around this with their ipix system - you upload your graphic to them of whatever size it is, and they resize it to a thumbnail for the gallery and slightly bigger pic for the listings. You don't get any control over picture size yourself at all.

Personally, being on broadband and using Opera, I don't have any problems viewing the site,

How to get around this one would be when you submit an auction, ebid servers pull the image you refer to at that point, and create a local thumbnail for use on list pages. You still get to refer to your own externally hosted image for the big one in your listing. (this saving eBid their bandwidth).

Not sure I'd want to have to start paying for thumbnails though - the main selling point of eBid is that it's free, and to start charging for what is currently a free option wouldn't go down well with many people.

If an image is linked without height and width being specified in the link, then MSIE will have to download the image before it knows how big it is. When that image is in a table (as most pages are) then it waits until it knows about everything in the table before drawing it.

This is why you can sit with just the ebid logo at the top for ages, and then everything appears suddenly.

Opera (and I think netscape, as used by AOL - long time since I used NS) is a bit more clever, and will show a placeholder instead of the image of a size equal to the "alt" text (the tooltip text you get if you point at an image and wait). This means that when the image finally arrives, it might have to adjust the display, causing some flickering and things moving about.

Opera believes that you want to see as much as possible as quick as possible; MSIE prefers to wait until it knows it can draw it "correctly".

The solution? Ensure every image has height and width tags on it. (Of course, with images called from remote web sites, this can be a bit tricky..)

In the case of thumbnails, these do have the sizes defined - to resize the original image to a smaller one. But it's still the 30-40K image that people uploaded for the auction itself, so because the filesize is big, it still takes forever to load when you have a listing page with ~100 of them on it, especially on dial-up. Only advantage this has is if you click on one, it'll still be in cache, so the auction page itself will load quite quickly!

The darkside got around this with their ipix system - you upload your graphic to them of whatever size it is, and they resize it to a thumbnail for the gallery and slightly bigger pic for the listings. You don't get any control over picture size yourself at all.

Personally, being on broadband and using Opera, I don't have any problems viewing the site,

How to get around this one would be when you submit an auction, ebid servers pull the image you refer to at that point, and create a local thumbnail for use on list pages. You still get to refer to your own externally hosted image for the big one in your listing. (this saving eBid their bandwidth).

Not sure I'd want to have to start paying for thumbnails though - the main selling point of eBid is that it's free, and to start charging for what is currently a free option wouldn't go down well with many people.

I am new really on ebid but I do like it there are loads of little things that are useful....however i am finding when clicking to view an auction that it can take between 2 to 3 seconds to a minute or more.I can't deal with the long waits! The sellers of those auctions that load slowly are losing out if everyone has the same problem as me.

The comment above mine seems a sensible reason as to why this is, could ebid email all sellers and tell them exactly what to do to get a fast item load.
    It would make me very happy and a MUCH more regular visitor....the other lot need COMPETITION......now!

Lynne :lol:

I am new really on ebid but I do like it there are loads of little things that are useful....however i am finding when clicking to view an auction that it can take between 2 to 3 seconds to a minute or more.I can't deal with the long waits! The sellers of those auctions that load slowly are losing out if everyone has the same problem as me.

The comment above mine seems a sensible reason as to why this is, could ebid email all sellers and tell them exactly what to do to get a fast item load.
    It would make me very happy and a MUCH more regular visitor....the other lot need COMPETITION......now!

Thread Information