eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: THE reason Ebid is slow to load

Default Re: THE reason Ebid is slow to load

Quote Originally Posted by KPARENUTS
    I find it no slower on here than i do on any site .. the only problems i have had was when we had tons of new members ....But that has been solved now with G&M adding a new server :lol: :lol:
    I have a 56K modem and only ever connect at a crappy 31,000bps and i find this site no slower than any other site i visit (exeption to hotmail :x and thts slowwwwwwww)

The only time i found this site slow was around middle of last month but it was only for about a week, now it seems all ok.

Kind Regards,
    Coffee23.

Quote Originally Posted by KPARENUTS
    I find it no slower on here than i do on any site .. the only problems i have had was when we had tons of new members ....But that has been solved now with G&M adding a new server :lol: :lol:
    I have a 56K modem and only ever connect at a crappy 31,000bps and i find this site no slower than any other site i visit (exeption to hotmail :x and thts slowwwwwwww)

The only time i found this site slow was around middle of last month but it was only for about a week, now it seems all ok.

Kind Regards,
    Coffee23.

Forum Saint
    View _Nuts_'s Feedback (+445)
    All-About _Nuts_
    View _Nuts_'s Listings
    Forum Posts

Thats all i have is a 56k modem and its not slow the only time mine slows down is sometimes when im entering online games etc except when we had the big jump in members :wink:

Forum Saint
    View _Nuts_'s Feedback (+445)
    All-About _Nuts_
    View _Nuts_'s Listings
    Forum Posts

Thats all i have is a 56k modem and its not slow the only time mine slows down is sometimes when im entering online games etc except when we had the big jump in members :wink:

>Has anyone actually checked the file size of the tiny preview images on the main page?

I assume we are talking about thumbnail pictures of auction items? If so, I guess it's because people link a single picture on their own server space, which is large because it's the main view of the item. It will be resized by the browser for thumbnails, but to do this the whole lot would have to be downloaded. Am I making sense?

Personally, if the option of having a thumbnail URL was present, I would go to the effort of using it.

In fact, I'm thinking... perhaps people could link their auction image to a thumbnail sized jpeg only, but then inlude a full size picture in the HTML code of their auctions.

>Has anyone actually checked the file size of the tiny preview images on the main page?

I assume we are talking about thumbnail pictures of auction items? If so, I guess it's because people link a single picture on their own server space, which is large because it's the main view of the item. It will be resized by the browser for thumbnails, but to do this the whole lot would have to be downloaded. Am I making sense?

Personally, if the option of having a thumbnail URL was present, I would go to the effort of using it.

In fact, I'm thinking... perhaps people could link their auction image to a thumbnail sized jpeg only, but then inlude a full size picture in the HTML code of their auctions.

View gazza's Feedback (+2)
    All-About gazza
    View gazza's Listings
    Forum Posts

When we decided to show non ebid hosted images in the listings, all our tests showed that html page would show and then the images would be loaded into the page after it had appeared, so we descided to go ahead with it..

We have had some people saying that the page doesnt appear until the images are loaded.... If this is the case, on a 56k modem ,the page could take minutes to load... Which is completely out of the question...

We are now working on an image upload system whereby each image you upload to ebid will have an automatic thumbnail created, at about 1-3k.

We will be stopping showing non-ebid hosted images in our listings, these will change to the little camera icon....

Images hosted at eBid will have the option to show the picture in the listings or not... (images will always be shown on the auction page itself)

Not will be free, but an image in the listing we will charge a few pence for...

What do people think?

This will speed the site up because only thumbnails will be shown on search results and category pages, and also will allow us a bit of income to push the site and really get things rolling.

G
    eBid.net
    Free to Bid | Free to List | Free to Enjoy
    GBP and USD Affiliate Program Re-Launched .. Promote eBid and earn
    Got a problem? Record it for us using http://screencast-o-matic.com/

View gazza's Feedback (+2)
    All-About gazza
    View gazza's Listings
    Forum Posts

When we decided to show non ebid hosted images in the listings, all our tests showed that html page would show and then the images would be loaded into the page after it had appeared, so we descided to go ahead with it..

We have had some people saying that the page doesnt appear until the images are loaded.... If this is the case, on a 56k modem ,the page could take minutes to load... Which is completely out of the question...

We are now working on an image upload system whereby each image you upload to ebid will have an automatic thumbnail created, at about 1-3k.

We will be stopping showing non-ebid hosted images in our listings, these will change to the little camera icon....

Images hosted at eBid will have the option to show the picture in the listings or not... (images will always be shown on the auction page itself)

Not will be free, but an image in the listing we will charge a few pence for...

What do people think?

This will speed the site up because only thumbnails will be shown on search results and category pages, and also will allow us a bit of income to push the site and really get things rolling.

G
    eBid.net
    Free to Bid | Free to List | Free to Enjoy
    GBP and USD Affiliate Program Re-Launched .. Promote eBid and earn
    Got a problem? Record it for us using http://screencast-o-matic.com/

Sounds good. Don't mind paying a few pence for a gallery image, I think it wouold benefit eBid overall. But wouldn't like to pay pounds.

Sounds good. Don't mind paying a few pence for a gallery image, I think it wouold benefit eBid overall. But wouldn't like to pay pounds.

Thread Information