Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Item being watched by (number)

Default Item being watched by (number)

On Yahoo auctions, there used to be a "number of people watching this item" part to the auctions which was really great! If someone was watching your item you knew that you had a "possible" sale at the end of it - quite nifty methought!
    For personalised pop art, visit my shop: http://uk.ebid.net/stores/Happy-Brushstrokes

View gazza's Feedback (+2)
    All-About gazza
    View gazza's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Item being watched by (number)

Good idea, we'll look into it

G
    eBid.net
    Free to Bid | Free to List | Free to Enjoy
    GBP and USD Affiliate Program Re-Launched .. Promote eBid and earn
    Got a problem? Record it for us using http://screencast-o-matic.com/

very bad idea from a buyer point of view. I would walk away from any item with a significant watch-list count because I'd expect to get sniped or a bidding war to break out. Any buyer with any sense wants to stay incognito until close to the end of an auction, and all buyers like to think they're the only one to have spotted a particular bargain.

I suppose it could have advantages if only the seller could see the watch-list count, but it's open to abuse for sellers to pull their items if they see low bids and low watch-list; again not good for buyers.

I have to agree with Ian, except that I don't think that it's a good idea even if the seller is the only one who can see it because some sellers may shill their auctions if they see a few people are watching their auctions.

Just my thoughts.
    Yorkie

My FaceBook page.
    My Twitter page.
    My YouTube channel.

Mention eBid if you add me on FaceBook or Twitter so I know where you are from.

Oh I'm using the baconbuttie website.
    Go to http://tools.baconbuttie.co.uk and sign up... if you email him he will give you a unique password so you can see how many peeps are watching your auctions.

But you have to put the code in yourself to each auction. It would be great if G& M can work out something here. Might not get so dis heartened if we know someones watching. LOL
    http://www.sabrewulfe.plus.com/banner1.gif
    Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.

Does that work for ebid too?
    Glass animals, Hagen Renaker, Lomonosov

Check my website for brand new glass figurines

Ah, now theres a point. I'm not sure. I shall try it and see. I guess I could send the Java script to G & M and see if they can modify it to work with ebid if it doesnt.

It seems like a simple script so I dont see why it shouldnt work with any auction site.

Jules

I've emaled the script to the G&M and received this email back:-
    Hi Jules,

Thanks for that.

Gary will have a look at it.

All our software is our own work and this might give Gary some ideas.

Thank you once again Jules

Best regards
    Mark
    eBid Support

So hopefully we'll have that in the not too distant future. It is a really nice thing to have when youve got no bids..... at least you know someones watching your stuff. Then you can hope for a bidding war at the end LOL

Jules

Quote Originally Posted by ian-n
    very bad idea from a buyer point of view. I would walk away from any item with a significant watch-list count because I'd expect to get sniped or a bidding war to break out. Any buyer with any sense wants to stay incognito until close to the end of an auction, and all buyers like to think they're the only one to have spotted a particular bargain.

I suppose it could have advantages if only the seller could see the watch-list count, but it's open to abuse for sellers to pull their items if they see low bids and low watch-list; again not good for buyers.
    If you think youre the only one thats spotted a bargain then you're being very naive. You wont be.
    Also, if no-one else is watching or bidding on the item it is probably not worth buying anyway or so obscure that only you want it

As for sellers pulling an item because of low bids/watch list, most sensible sellers will have a reserve so it wont sell at a stupidly low price.

As for shill bidding, well thats illegal anyway isnt it? and cant be done as it will show your name in the bid history, (unless a freind does it) certainly works that way on ebay, and if thats seen it will just get reported and the seller will be NARU'd. So sellers wont risk it.

The "watcher" I use is so only the seller can see and I think it should stay that way. Just because someone is watching, doesnt mean theyre going to buy, it may just mean they are comparing with other similar itmes. I know I do as a buyer.

If you see an item and really want it, you then decide how much you are willing to pay, bid you max + a couple of pence. Simple. It dosnt matter to you how many peeps are watching it. At the end of the day it goes to the person who wants it most & is willing to pay the most. The watch thing is just for the sellers peace of mind.

Jules

West Bromwich, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View merlin's Feedback (+3081)
    All-About merlin
    View merlin's Listings
    Forum Posts

i agree there i only did a few auctions on yahoo but it was nice to see that there was some interest in your item at the moment i seem to get a few people looking but not many buying which i feel is a little demoralising so to see if someone is watching a item gives you some hope of a sale

Thread Information