eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Postage and packaging on some games

Forum Newbie
    View cardseller09's Feedback (+16)
    All-About cardseller09
    View cardseller09's Listings
    Forum Posts

this getting a bit close to the feebay police methods here.
    Please do not move down that road, let the buyer think for themselves.
    all of you have said I was about to buy then noticed the P+P.
    You made your choice not to.
    as long as nothing is hidden freedom of choice still exists here, you make a choice to pay the extra or not.
    if you feel postage is high, write and ask them why, remember recorded costs a lot more, but is safer.

Quote Originally Posted by somersethedge View Post
    that only works IF the seller declare the tax... a lot of (non business) sellers dont

It is a felony in US (how they caught Al Capone), but I doubt gov bothers sending someone to federal prison over selling $10 item and not paying taxes on profit!

Those who overcharge postage thru ignorance (chose higher service) or on purpose (charge $5, when shipping is $1.50), are never very successful. Buyers avoid them.

Quote Originally Posted by cardseller09 View Post
    this getting a bit close to the feebay police methods here.
    Please do not move down that road, let the buyer think for themselves.
    all of you have said I was about to buy then noticed the P+P.
    You made your choice not to.
    as long as nothing is hidden freedom of choice still exists here, you make a choice to pay the extra or not.
    if you feel postage is high, write and ask them why, remember recorded costs a lot more, but is safer.
    Of course not, sellers set the postage. End of story. Some are very foolish (think buyers can't do the math), and they sell very little. We point out their postage uses a premium method that is too expensive, point out alternative, etc, but if they don't listen, they don't have sales. Money is tight for everyone now, why overcharge on shipping?

Unfortunately, no one has the time to email and argue with sellers about shipping price, item cost, etc. Their items will just sit there and they will wonder why no one is buying (maybe something is wrong with ebid, is the excuse we always hear).

I did not use recorded and insurance on every item. It is just too expensive for buyer/sellers. On the cheap items (99 cent doilies) I just tell the buyers, if it gets lost, I will immediately refund your 99 cents plus postage. Only 1 in 800 gets lost, why pay $2 each for conf/insurance on the next 800 shipments of cheaper stuff, when the odds are it will never get lost?. That is a whopping $1600 to insure stuff that is only worth $800 AND odds are only one 99 cent package will get lost anyway. Congratulations, you gave $1600 to the PO, to avoid paying out 99 cents plus postage to the one customer that claims they did not get it.

On items worth more than $20, I pay for conf/shipping myself (bonus for buying from me) , and still give immediate refunds for lost items. But of course I can go to PO and get a refund because I bought the insurance/ etc. I would rather cover this myself on more expensive items than waste my time/buyer's money on insuring and confirming every package.

This is one method of keeping costs down, you play the odds and do not overspend on the insurance/confirmation.

No you will not win the Paypal claim as you have no proof of mailing, but you are issuing a refund which closes any PP case. Job done.

Crazy scheme, ya I learned it in feebay class and have used it with success for 6 years (you set your own level, $20, $10 whatever).

Forum Newbie
    Newcastle Upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom
    All-About CNTradeTK
    View CNTradeTK's Listings
    Forum Posts

Just a quick add here... Tesco are currently selling tan envelopes at £1 a packet, in the packet is a large/medium/littler medium and 2 small envelopes, each with bubble wrap inside.

You can also buy the larger envelopes (also bubble wrapped inside) for 19p each. In my case I went for the 19p large ones. Bought 40 single Large ones and am sorted as far as selling games goes for a while, I normally sell single games but I have alot of old xbox/ps2 etc games I want to clear space with. I have a new load of 360 and PS3 games in and i need the space lol. Those envelopes fit anything between 4 and 8 games in if placed in properly, that keeps the costs down for me. They also come with a tear away strip to stick them down properly, saves on tape etc

Quote Originally Posted by CNTradeTK View Post
    Just a quick add here... Tesco are currently selling tan envelopes at £1 a packet, in the packet is a large/medium/littler medium and 2 small envelopes, each with bubble wrap inside.

You can also buy the larger envelopes (also bubble wrapped inside) for 19p each. In my case I went for the 19p large ones. Bought 40 single Large ones and am sorted as far as selling games goes for a while, I normally sell single games but I have alot of old xbox/ps2 etc games I want to clear space with. I have a new load of 360 and PS3 games in and i need the space lol. Those envelopes fit anything between 4 and 8 games in if placed in properly, that keeps the costs down for me. They also come with a tear away strip to stick them down properly, saves on tape etc
    Exactly. Cut where you can. if you have a huge office supply place or discount store you can save even more. I pay $10 for 100 brown envelopes (no padding), that are 10x12". I slip in a piece of cardboard, plastic wrap my linens, and slip into envelope. You could add sheet of bubblewrap too and still save over an expensive padded envelope.

Write address in permanent ink, cover with clear tape, wrap tape around envelope once or twice and toss in mail. Very low cost, I ship by airmail first class (domestic and international) and save money. Keeps my costs way down.

Sellers can control the cost of shipping, which we sometimes forget. I remember one guy on feebay complaining he just "had" to use special address labels that cost $1 each. When he passed this on to the customers they complained. The nerve! We don't have to use the expensive padded envelopes or in US, the priority method envelopes that the PO supplies (priority shipping is more expensive).

If we keep costs down, we get rewarded by more sales. Everyone should look at what they are using and find less expensive alternatives. Sellers must be smart about shipping methods too, and pick the one that suits the item too. i.e. sending a small package out with premium shipping, rather than airmail. We must be experts on best way to ship.

View CrazyJay's Feedback (+149)
    All-About CrazyJay
    View CrazyJay's Listings
    Forum Posts

I charge £1.00 postage - regardless of actual cost. It just gives me leeway to offer a mutliple discount when people buy more than 1 item.

That way all my prices are pretty much the price you end up paying. I price things based on what I would be prepared to pay for it if I found it in a shop - so do not take post into consideration.

The FVF here is so low, that there is no point in padding up the postage to avoid it. I don't really mind if I'm paying a tiny bit of extra FVF. At 2%, it makes no difference.

For those who aren't fussy about filtering what I sell - Take a look at ALL my stuff above. - But for more specific listings, take a peek in the stores below.

TOY-PALLOI - For all sorts of traditional playthings!

THE PAPERBOYS PLEASURE - For Books & Magazines

OUT ON THE FLOOR - For Records - (mainly 1950's - 60's)

VIEWPOINT - Photographic Equipment

THE SCRAPYARD - Spare parts for old cars and bikes

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyJay View Post
    I charge £1.00 postage - regardless of actual cost. It just gives me leeway to offer a mutliple discount when people buy more than 1 item.

That way all my prices are pretty much the price you end up paying. I price things based on what I would be prepared to pay for it if I found it in a shop - so do not take post into consideration.

The FVF here is so low, that there is no point in padding up the postage to avoid it. I don't really mind if I'm paying a tiny bit of extra FVF. At 2%, it makes no difference.

Agree. Some people will tell you that your method does not allow adequate markup etc, but I suspect you get good deals on items which gives you wiggle room when pricing and determining postage. This is so important, but often seems to be last thing new sellers think about. If a seller makes real effort to buy cheaply and in large quantities, figuring starting bid, and shipping costs is a whole lot easier.

View CrazyJay's Feedback (+149)
    All-About CrazyJay
    View CrazyJay's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by deltadelta48 View Post
    Agree. Some people will tell you that your method does not allow adequate markup etc, but I suspect you get good deals on items which gives you wiggle room when pricing and determining postage. This is so important, but often seems to be last thing new sellers think about. If a seller makes real effort to buy cheaply and in large quantities, figuring starting bid, and shipping costs is a whole lot easier.

I don't actually buy stock to resell - so the wiggle room doesn't come into play. Things that I list really really cheap, are simply because I want them out of my way. I figure if somebody wants them, then they are welcome to them.

Other things are priced higher, and the price is partially based on the fact that I'm not too fussed if it goes out of my collection or not. The Vick & John is a prime example. I have 2 copies, so don't really NEED both, but then on the other hand if one gets scratched, then I'll be scabbling about trying to find another one.

The Cab Calloway 78 is unlikley to sell - But that's OK. It holds important memories for me, and is pretty unique - Maybe if I've still got it in a year or so's time I'll display it in a frame or something, but if in the meantime, if somebody wants it...Well there it is.

For those who aren't fussy about filtering what I sell - Take a look at ALL my stuff above. - But for more specific listings, take a peek in the stores below.

TOY-PALLOI - For all sorts of traditional playthings!

THE PAPERBOYS PLEASURE - For Books & Magazines

OUT ON THE FLOOR - For Records - (mainly 1950's - 60's)

VIEWPOINT - Photographic Equipment

THE SCRAPYARD - Spare parts for old cars and bikes

Thread Information