Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Post Office becoming irrelevant?

Stratford, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View billsstamps's Feedback (+31360)
    All-About billsstamps
    View billsstamps's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Post Office becoming irrelevant?

I went into my local sub-postoffice this morning to buy some 20p stamps.

Name:  20p.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  58.2 KB

I post stamp sales abroad and buyers like the bonus of some commemorative stamps on their envelope. So, 1st class + 2nd class + 20p stamps.
    But the post office said they no longer sell small denomination stamps, only 2nd and 1st class stamps.
    That, together with the big notice saying they no longer sell lottery tickets gives the impression that post offices are no longer worth visiting.
    Rev Dr Bill Hopkinson,
    Retired professor

BillsStamps

around 50000 stamps listed, based in London

View pastime's Feedback (+197)
    All-About pastime
    View pastime's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Post Office becoming irrelevant?

Hi Bill,
    Am surprised at the Lottery being removed, but that has just changed hands (at long last!) so perhaps that is the reason.
    Would have thought that PO would replace all the lost Banks, that can't be bothered to stay open for unimportant things, like their Customers. Did consider changing my Bank to the PO, but didn't go ahead because it's only the Bank of Ireland linked to the PO - wasn't sure how that would play out.
    Loss of the PO would leave a lot of elderly customers without anywhere to go to when they withdraw cash etc so hopefully, this won't happen and they are now taking other Courier parcels i.e: Yodel/hermes etc.

Royal Mail are helping to squeeze the post office out of the market too, i haven't been to a post office in probably 2 years as i can buy any postage i need online and either drop it to a pick up point in seconds while i'm going about my daily business or get it picked up for free by my postman anyway.

I can't say i miss the shuffling in a queue for 10-15 minutes only to be met with a disapproving wince when the person behind the counter realises i have 5 parcels to sort out and so gives the people in the queue behind me that rolled eyes look.

I was talking to my wife and son about the old days of the post office when they were enthusiastic and happy to help as much as possible, but just before and during lock down, the service just fell through the floor to the point that they seemed to be doing you a favour by even talking to you. That and the amount of stories of post office turning away sellers that had over their arbitrary limit of items they will deal with that day just made it a chore to deal with them.

My post persons have always been a helpful and cheerful guys to deal with, so for the time being, i'll stick with them.

I have just started to buy my postage online with Royal Mail, they also collect from my home which is much better than standing in the post office.

Quote Originally Posted by sogobuymugs View Post
    I have just started to buy my postage online with Royal Mail, they also collect from my home which is much better than standing in the post office.
    I haven't tried this yet, but I have parcels that leave here with presents for family, so will give it a go.

The last time I set foot in a post office was in late 2016
    “When life gives you a Monday, dip it in glitter and sparkle all day” – Ella Woodword

Thread Information