Although I have used Paypal for nearly 20 years without problems, I have encountered some scammers through this site with a few failed sales over passed few years where scammer buyer claims to have paid for item m ignores ASL messages other than requesting shipment yet never pays.
I thought I could recognize these scammer buyers but a new scam fooled me.
The scammer actually did use Paypal and paid for the item and so I immediately shipped the item, fully described and with all details needed beyond simple description, even included the cosmetic issues and functionality of a wide format printer I no longer needed.I listed sold as is but did give window to return item within 7 days if not totally satisfied but that buyer was to pay shipping back to me after requesting an RMA.
I am fully aware of Paypal TOS and Buyer Protection policies and always acted in accordance with them.I have had 100% positive feedback on all my sales online for over 20 yrs.
NEW SCAM!: SCAMMER BUYERS are misusing Paypal Buyer Protection clauses to obtain merchandice FREE as a vaguery in their TOS predicated on overseas scams of items not received, their A.I. system includes Item Not as Described - as automated cause to refund while enabling Scammer Buyer to keep the item purchased providing little to no recourse to the seller!
Since COVID hit, Paypal relies more on their A.I.system than live help and when you get live help they dont know how to stop the A.I. system or override it under specific circumstances!This may not happen in simple auction sales but it does happen.
Supposedly with "An Item Not As Described" the Paypal system accepts a Sellers Dispute to attempt a fair resolution butin reality, they do not review any proof submitted but merely engage you in requests for more information and evidence and then say it will be reviewed and determination made.

The particular auction sale that impacted me and how I now perceive Paypal was as follows:
My auction was totally described and printer was in complete functioning condition, a specialty wide format and being sold at 90% discount due to cosmetics as is but fully functioning. Sold as is as used did not qualify for Paypal Buyer Protection , according to Paypal Rules. - Item listed also as returns accepted if requested within 7 Days and returned at Buyers Expense unless there was a legitimate reason to return as Seller error or lack of description.
Buyer received item in 2 days ,never responded to ASL or made any sort of complaint to Ebid or me. Never a word!
Buyer placed an "Item Not as Described" complaint to Paypal, but I contested since it was false. I was directed to send screenshots of Ebid auction and did so and demonstrated that buyer was not being honest. Informed Paypal that buyer had not replied not contacted me or ebid whatsover which is part of requirement under their Buyer Protection policy and by submitting proof items was totally as described, we hit an impass. As deadline for determination approached I did get live customer support on Paypal and was told the information submitted wasnt getting humanly reviewed due to their new A.I. but that they would open case and review and while on phone assured me that I did provide enough proof showing buyer was not being honest.

To try to be nice, even though it was over a month since the sale and never heard from buyer,I told Paypal I would accept the return if printer came back same as sent in sellable condition and would agree to refund purchase price but not shipping. Paypal said that was fair but I included that the buyer had to request an RMA and just tell me why they didnt want printer so I could in turn relist here and show Ebid it was a failed or canceled sale.

Buyer was looking to keep printer and get money back but Paypal informed buyer he had to return it but once he did that he only had to submit tracking number to confirm return.
Thats where Paypal A.I. screwed up!
Buyer was supposed to still request RMA but Paypal released my address without it and agreement was refund price of printer, not shipping, but at least buyer had to return printer to get any refund.

Buyer broke printer into pieces and stuffed into a box and shipped it broken in ways that could not be attributable to shipping damages nor eliglible as damaged in shipment as the pieces broken off were forcefully done by hand internally. I found the box on my back porch as no notice was ever given that it was coming nor any option to reject it or know what was inside or the condition.

I photographed box as opened and found the mess the buyer scammer made and immediately notified paypal.While on phone with them they assured me they wouldnt refund this buyer as it was obvious what he was doing but as they assured me I looked at their website and as soon as that buyer submitted the tracking number, their A.I automatically refunded the entire transaction from Ebid including the shipping!

So I end up out $180 - also had to pay fees to Ebid as a completed sale when it wasnt -and got printer with parts forcefully broken of out of spite and no longer sellable.

Paypal apologized, directed me to an FBI website to place a fraud complaint against buyer and assured me they would cooperate and help get my money back.
I did as directed ,however Paypal A.I. placed my account in negative requesting the $180 they gave the scammer buyer!

I called them back and they assured me they were going after the scammer to get my money back but to date have done nothing but absorb my incoming sales against the $180 their A.I. errantly gave to the scammer! They said it was a glitch - but according to their own TOS they reserve right to take back money if they errantly deposit into a members account, so they have authority to take the money back from the scammer but instead want me to cover and wait for a new resolution, as apparently that buyer as with other scammers, maintains a zero balance once a scam is completed.

With this A.I. glitch as they called it I no longer feel secure in using Paypal as this glitch as they called it is a recipe for disaster in future sales as scammer buyers are doing this all over but most sellers or bigger sellers just overlook and take the losses as they have other sales that provide profit but as a little seller, these type transactions can be devastating.

I currently am now using ZELLE for most online sales transactions and so far its been ok but guess scammers will get around to messing with that as well over time. For now I disabled some functions of my Paypal, to stop accepting payments and trying to use credit or debit cards direct, but Paypal still is one of the biggest and formerly best source online, so not sure if I will end up having to give in and let this mess slide or not but not happy with their incompetent resolution so far.