eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Google Shopping.

Default Re: Google Shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by theElench View Post

It might be worth a try as it's quoted from google itself but I must say, looking at GS results, white backgrounds don't seem to be given much preference. There are plenty of white, other plain colours and, it seems, just as many that are not white or plain at all. Furniture, wall-paper, gardens etc., all mixed together.

My backgrounds are mostly white / off-white or plain grey. I can always find some of them on GS, often on P.1 but scattered in between all the rest.

If it helps, there's a programme you can use where you can remove backgrounds from virtually any picture - I've used it extensively over the years - and there's a free version too!
    Remove Background from Image for Free – remove.bg

View pastime's Feedback (+197)
    All-About pastime
    View pastime's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi Elench,
    Read your thread over the weekend and wondered how you had settled on a 40 day turnover - it was always recommended on here that a 10 day turnover be used, what made you decide on 40?

Also, after reading I checked for a couple of items on Google Shopping - it was frustrating and a bit depressing: several items not showing, one item I searched for was the Maya Deck some of which flashed up at the top of the search and then disappeared - the pages then showing didn't have those result, just different items on Maya not the Deck.

Searched for Cash's woven pictures - again, the first line showed Cash, which then disappeared and then showed pages and pages of item that were not Cash.

I've had this happen when I been researching items, the image I want to click on is gone in the blink of an eye, but I didn't realise that even if you put in a name such as Cash's, it just changes the search - any idea as to how or why this is happening? Google is the go to search, why is it giving different results?

Since eBid relies on Google this doesn't bode well for our items being seen.
    Many thanks,
    Marie.

Good morning Pastime, by '40 day turnover' do you mean my 40 day auctions?

If so they are not directly anything to do with GS. I started doing all my new listings as auctions because as a Silver level seller, using Platinum RUS listings they are added to the last page of search results. As all the un-sold items move up towards P.1 it looked stagnant, so I started auctions so anyone looking at A.D. Glass regularly would always see something different on P.1.

I've never sold anything at auction so lengthened them first to 30 days, then 40. The important thing with them is the See Other Items button which encourages buyers to look beyond P.1.

Indirectly, having done this for several years and GS seeming to prefer showing older listings, it does mean that IF the date of listing is a criteria for being shown on GS, I've got weekly listings for every week since starting for GS to choose from. Perhaps another clue as to why I can always find a selection of my listings on GS. Perhaps also something to do with getting "Ebid - The Elench" on the side-bar, (its still there). I'm no expert on GS, just trying to understand how I and two other Ebid sellers (so far) have got themselves onto that bar and visible to anyone making that search. And how to get more ebid sellers to show up in GS searches.

I must say I've never noticed pictures that appear briefly then disappear. Are they items you listed recently? If so I've only ever seen one of my items on GS that was listed recently (i.e in the past few weeks). All the others have at least been listed for months, many for years, which gives some explanation as why so many new sellers say they make no sales, while some that have been here for years and list regularly do. With so few sellers adding what they see about their listings on GS, it's hard to draw any conclusions.

A guess why 'Cash Woven Pictures' search doesn't show 'Cash'. Either try a different word order like Woven picture Cash or GS is showing 'all' it has and is waiting for you to be more specific by using their Filters???

I'll try searching when I get back this afternoon and report back.
    ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ----------

http://uk.ebid.net/users/theElench

Good morning Pastime, it didn't take long to find your "Maya Deck" on the "Sponsored" strip at the top of P.1 on GS when searching for "Maya Deck". I have no idea why a listing is shown as Sponsored, but now I'd suggest that you view it every day for a few days to keep reminding GS that it is still there, improve its position on the main results and see if eventually "Ebid - Pastime" is shown on the side-bar.

Searched for Cash's Woven Pictures and "Woven Pictures", couldn't see any from yourself or any from ebid. Checked on ebid to see how many are listed and I get zero results?

I must say I was surprised to find your Maya Pack as you'd only listed it a few days before, when GS doesn't seem to like my newer listings, but shows plenty of older ones.

I didn't have any problems with pictures appearing and disappearing, I got plenty of results for both items.
    Last edited by theElench; 27th July 2023 at 06:45 AM.
    ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ----------

All-About pastime
    View pastime's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theElench View Post
    Good morning Pastime, it didn't take long to find your "Maya Deck" on the "Sponsored" strip at the top of P.1 on GS when searching for "Maya Deck". I have no idea why a listing is shown as Sponsored, but now I'd suggest that you view it every day for a few days to keep reminding GS that it is still there, improve its position on the main results and see if eventually "Ebid - Pastime" is shown on the side-bar.

Searched for Cash's Woven Pictures and "Woven Pictures", couldn't see any from yourself or any from ebid. Checked on ebid to see how many are listed and I get zero results?

I must say I was surprised to find your Maya Pack as you'd only listed it a few days before, when GS doesn't seem to like my newer listings, but shows plenty of older ones.

I didn't have any problems with pictures appearing and disappearing, I got plenty of results for both items.
    Hi Elench,
    When you could see the Maya Deck do you see it was eBid, there are several listings from ebay?
    I tried again to search and, as before, the strip whizzed away before I could expand it - could this be happening because I've got an Ad Blocker?

Re: Cash - having seen your answer I tried again to search on eBid: for Cash picture got a blank response. Then put in 'Cash's' only got several pages of Johnny Cash but also 2 listings of Cash pictures, then typed in 'Cash' and again and got the same pages also showing pictures. Not sure why the first search was blank and I'll try seeing other searches in case I can find a better category that shows more readily.

Very grateful for your taking the time to search these items, many thanks,
    Marie.

When I searched 'Maya Deck' the Sponsored Strip didn't move at all until I clicked the arrow at either end to make it do so. Yes the first one I found was an ebid ad. clicking to view it, it was yours, so didn't look any further. Try checking on it regularly to see if you can get it to appear more prominently in the main results section.

It seems to me that, at least in part, GS takes notice of what we click on, view and seems to show more ebid ads. if browsers show a preference for them.

The Cash Pictures. Searching GS there are plenty for ads. from obay and esty but couldn't find any from ebid, even by searching with "- ebid" at the beginning or end. As I said GS has only ever shown me one of my new listings, it prefers older ones, so I'm not really surprised that if there is only one on ebid (which is what my search returned), it isn't shown yet.

Have a look at some of my listings on GS they are all months / years old, not a few days / weeks old.

Without confirmation from the other two ebid sellers that I've found on GS with "Ebid - (Seller Name)" shown on the sites sidebar, I've found the following.
    TheElench. The majority of ads. on ebid for "Art Deco Glass" are mine.
    Golden Wonders. Has virtually all the ads. on ebid for "Hard Rock Cafe Pins"
    Becky's Hoard. Almost all the "Stoneware Pottery" are hers.

So if you're an ebid seller in an under-populated category where most of the search results are your ads., check GS. If you're not on the Sites Searched side bar with "Ebid - (Seller Name)", check that you have fulfilled all the conditions for your ads. to be uploaded.

All-About pastime
    View pastime's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi Elench,
    Just to say Thank you for your help re:GS - if you hadn't checked out my couple of queries, and been able to see listings I couldn't see, I wouldn't have realised that my Ad Blocker was causing my difficulties. Could not find where to disable, so went on Incognito and could see the listings I was checking on without the listing whizzing off.
    Great relief, now I can check out other items.
    All the best,
    Marie.

Happy to help. Please come back and add anything about GS that you notice which might be helpful to other ebid sellers.

I'm still intrigued as to why I can regularly find independent websites of sellers who have fewer ads. for Art Deco Glass than Ebid does and following from that, why "Ebid - theElench" appeared on the "Sellers" side-bar soon after I started searching Art Deco Glass regularly.

I said above that I'd found a few other ebid sellers on the side-bar. I notice that all that I've found so far, when checking their listings on ebid, have most of the ebid listings for that particular search. Is GS just showing the seller with the most listings on ebid, rather than more sellers with one or two listings. Possibly because, as I've also mentioned earlier, once I appeared on the side-bar, at the bottom of my listings, other ebid sellers are included to fill up the page.

More food for thought is that a glass seller that I know from obay and esty has recently appeared on the side-bar but under their own shop name, not accompanied by either site name.

They also have fewer listings than ebid on GS, but I do know that they have a following. Are their followers now searching for them on GS rather than on the other sites?

So another possible tip to getting shown on GS could be building significant listing numbers in smaller - less populated categories.

I wonder how many ebid sellers make use of GS, other than to check if they can find any of their listings at infrequent intervals? My experience seems to be saying that regular use of GS, clicking on one or two of my own listings (and other ebid sellers'), gets more ebid ads. shown and eventually at least the biggest ebid seller in the results added to the side-bar ??.
    Last edited by theElench; 26th October 2023 at 12:23 PM.

GS like most of google is a memory based system

If I search Art Deco Glass you are the only eBid one that shows on the side bar and main images (Along with other sites)because I searched to see yours a long time back
    I see mine regularly only because I see if they are even appearing, Ebid on the whole is seeing no visibility and I see no way to get our items seen often on GS unless the sites owners spend advertising money

Thread Information