Forum Posts

Default Re: PayPal alternatives

To start a new thread . . . .

Name:  forum.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  28.0 KB

>
    >

Just recently, eBid added Stripe payment for only the sellers to pay their fees.
    Sellers can also pay by Paypal.

Paypal payments are the only way that the Buyers can pay for their items.
    You will need to link your Paypal account.

We are hoping that eBid will eventually add Stripe Payment for the buyers to use in the future.

I hope this will help.

Forum Master
    View tony41's Feedback (+10051)
    All-About tony41
    View tony41's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Policequilts View Post
    To start a new thread . . . .

Name:  forum.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  28.0 KB

>
    >

Just recently, eBid added Stripe payment for only the sellers to pay their fees.
    Sellers can also pay by Paypal.

Paypal payments are the only way that the Buyers can pay for their items.
    You will need to link your Paypal account.

We are hoping that eBid will eventually add Stripe Payment for the buyers to use in the future.

I hope this will help.
    Clicking on the circled + sign just produces a reference back to this very post. Perhaps Stripe is only linked in USA

PP's excessive use of 2Step Verification I'm certain has nothing to do with security or the FCA guidelines which say (something like) the second step should be used at intervals to prove it's still the account holder using the account and if there's "uncharacteristic" activity which might possibly indicate fraud. NOT every time an account holder tries to log-in for routine activities such as checking a buyer has paid. It's being done to pressurise sellers without mobile phones, into using one. Just because that suits PP's agenda.
    I came here to say mostly this. PayPal now requires a mobile number to use their service in the US at least. If you are traveling and you lose your phone, or your mobile number gets changed, or you run out of minutes, it goes out of cellular range (but you still have satellite Internet for your computer), or any situation that prevents you from using your mobile phone, you will be locked out of PayPal. You won't be able to buy anything, nor give refunds to customers.

There has to be an alternative to PayPal, as the reason for coming here instead of sticking with eBay was to get away from PayPal's policies just as much as eBay's. Now half of the reason for being here is gone if we're required to use PayPal.

Are they now saying explicitly that PP can't be accessed without the use of a mobile to get the text code?

If so I've thought since all their arm twisting started that that is what they were aiming at. Looking around the PP site, even a couple of years ago, if I was allowed to log-in, it was obvious that all pictures of a mouse had been replaced with a mobile phone.

Have to admit I haven't looked the UK's FCA Guidelines since my problems began (at least two years ago), so they might have changed since I wrote what you quote back in June, but I doubt that they have deleted the proviso that methods must be given that allow access to all groups of consumers, even those without mobiles.

Recently, after another period when my landline didn't ring at all, I'm back to it ringing sometimes and being able to log-in from the Ebid ASL by clicking on the PP transaction number, without completing the second verification.

Providing a glitchy service that lets them say they are offering alternatives, but hoping the inconvenience will eventually get everyone to fall into line??
    ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ----------

http://uk.ebid.net/users/theElench

Forum Master
    All-About tony41
    View tony41's Listings
    Forum Posts

I have just been given the option of receiving a telephone call from Paypal and keying in a code from the screen when prompted. So, it would appear that it is now possible to use Paypal without using a mobile. This is good because we do not get a signal here. I was also given the option of Paypal recognising my computer in future which they say will reduce the need for verification when I am using this computer. I will just have to remember to switch my VPN off before using Paypal.

I was given that option quite a while ago but for me it isn't very reliable. I get the on-screen code OK, but it's only about a 50/50 chance that the phone will ring.

I've found that if it doesn't ring when logging into PP direct, it will often ring if I click the PP transaction number on an ebid sale.

Hope it's more reliable for you
    ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ----------

http://uk.ebid.net/users/theElench

Stratford, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View billsstamps's Feedback (+31482)
    All-About billsstamps
    View billsstamps's Listings
    Forum Posts

Paypal can be a real problem, particularly US politics about which countries the US does not like is not top of your agenda.
    I sell worldwide stamps, so I have to list Iran as Persia so as not to trigger Paypal's discrimination policy.
    I can never remember whether Cuba is in or out for US
    It would not occur to me that I could not sell Yemen stamps on Paypal because I do not keep up with US politics.
    Rev Dr Bill Hopkinson,
    Retired professor

BillsStamps

around 50000 stamps listed, based in London

Forum Master
    All-About tony41
    View tony41's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by billsstamps View Post
    Paypal can be a real problem, particularly US politics about which countries the US does not like is not top of your agenda.
    I sell worldwide stamps, so I have to list Iran as Persia so as not to trigger Paypal's discrimination policy.
    I can never remember whether Cuba is in or out for US
    It would not occur to me that I could not sell Yemen stamps on Paypal because I do not keep up with US politics.
    Cuba is out. Even stamps issued before 1900!!!!

Forum Newbie
    Pietermaritzburg, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
    View asivisa's Feedback (+2190)
    All-About asivisa
    View asivisa's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 20sent06 View Post
    Well, I've also had problems with Paypal lately, which has served me well until now...

Did you know that they will charge £12 if a dispute goes against you as a seller! Obscene!

Story : I had a sale to a customer in Germany, and sent the item standard postage rate... he never received it and submitted a claim to Paypal... meantime it was returned to me with "address incomplete" ... so I put that in the report with an image of the returned packet stating that I would be happy to resend to an correct address.

Paypal continued to side with buyer, simply stating "the item was not received by the buyer" --- of course not! - reasons were ignored!! Doh! - but I resented paying £12 for the privilege of not being in the wrong here...

BE WARNED!

Are there any other online payment choices to use, I wonder?
    Payoneer is an option. Their rates are reasonable. 3bay are currently using it as well to pay out to their sellers.

The more payment options the better, A few days back I had a non-payer (been a few lately) I sent two reminders and a message with no reply then had to cancel. One hour later the same item sold on *bay. You could say it's a massive co-incidence or maybe the buyer didn't like or use Paypal but I've also had offers which I accept to then have non-payers again

Thread Information