Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wildlife Pool

Default Wildlife Pool

Well......little more than a puddle really But a frog took residence last year and it all looks clear and healthy. Apart from those horrible wriggly mosquito larvae which seem to plague me whatever the time of year. Any solutions?
    Has anybody any frogspawn yet? I am hoping that my little frog will return with a mate

Default Re: Wildlife Pool

Apart from those horrible wriggly mosquito larvae which seem to plague me whatever the time of year. Any solutions?

(Bumped in the hope of a response)

Haven't a clue ..but seemingly for ornamental ponds use washing up liquid or hair shampoo to kill it off.

Otherwise one suggestion is that minnows love them and can eat their own body weight every day, sounds good.
    And dragonflies love the larvae too.

Would a local pet shop sell minnows? Or do you have to tramp the fields looking for a pond
    - armed with your little jeelyjar/ jamjar with the string handle tied round the neck?
    --Linda--
    all feedback from eBid

Quote Originally Posted by CarnoustieCats View Post
    Haven't a clue ..but seemingly for ornamental ponds use washing up liquid or hair shampoo to kill it off.

Otherwise one suggestion is that minnows love them and can eat their own body weight every day, sounds good.
    And dragonflies love the larvae too.

Would a local pet shop sell minnows? Or do you have to tramp the fields looking for a pond
    - armed with your little jeelyjar/ jamjar with the string handle tied round the neck?
    Like Huckleberry Finn you mean?

Fish and frogs don't mix apparently. I did read about washing up liquid but not sure how that would affect any potential frogspawn.
    In the summer, I used to scoop them out with a seive - horrible wriggly things. Only a few now, but they have obviously survived the winter.l

Thanks, anyway, Cats.

Forum Master
    View tony41's Feedback (+10028)
    All-About tony41
    View tony41's Listings
    Forum Posts

Washing up liquid, shampoo and similar would make to pond useless as a wildlife pond. You don't say how long ago you made the pond but it could be that it hasn't achieved equilibrium yet. Natural predators should arrive. Dragonfly and damselfly larvae, some water beetles all eat mosquito larvae. Fish such as goldfish eat frog, toad and newt tadpoles. I can't say if minnows would but it seems likely that they would eat the very small tadpoles. If you were to get rid of all of the mosquito larvae it wouldn't be a good wildlife pond.

Here's a link which explains things more clearly and in more detail. https://nurturing-nature.co.uk/wildl...hat-eats-them/
    Last edited by tony41; 18th February 2022 at 01:12 PM.

"if you were to get rid of all of the mosquito larvae it wouldn't be a good wildlife pond."

Well, I can see the point of that and, in moderation, it wouldn't be too much of a problem. My little pond is now around 18 months in situ having moved it from a spot which was obviously too hot and sunny. I have never had backscaters and only a few beetles.

Thanks for the article Tony, which I shall read in full later. The conclusion is encouraging so fingers crossed that equilibrium if almost attained. Plants are doing well and very little algae.

Quote Originally Posted by crafters_corner View Post
    Like Huckleberry Finn you mean?

Fish and frogs don't mix apparently. I did read about washing up liquid but not sure how that would affect any potential frogspawn.
    In the summer, I used to scoop them out with a seive - horrible wriggly things. Only a few now, but they have obviously survived the winter.l

Thanks, anyway, Cats.
    The washing up liquid and hair shampoo works in ornamental ponds, by that I mean no wildlife
    --Linda--
    all feedback from eBid

Quote Originally Posted by CarnoustieCats View Post
    The washing up liquid and hair shampoo works in ornamental ponds, by that I mean no wildlife
    Yep, I understood that was what you meant

Quote Originally Posted by tony41 View Post
    Washing up liquid, shampoo and similar would make to pond useless as a wildlife pond. You don't say how long ago you made the pond but it could be that it hasn't achieved equilibrium yet. Natural predators should arrive. Dragonfly and damselfly larvae, some water beetles all eat mosquito larvae. Fish such as goldfish eat frog, toad and newt tadpoles. I can't say if minnows would but it seems likely that they would eat the very small tadpoles. If you were to get rid of all of the mosquito larvae it wouldn't be a good wildlife pond.

Here's a link which explains things more clearly and in more detail. https://nurturing-nature.co.uk/wildl...hat-eats-them/
    A very interesting and informative article. Thank you for the link,Tony.

Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
    View bluebedouin's Feedback (+107)
    All-About bluebedouin
    View bluebedouin's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crafters_corner View Post
    Any solutions?
    How about an aquarium pump to circulate the water?As far as I'm aware,mosquitoes need stagnant or still water to lay the eggs.

Thread Information