eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Old Forum threads

Forum Master
    View tony41's Feedback (+10028)
    All-About tony41
    View tony41's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Old Forum threads

Once again, we have had a reply to a very old thread. I think this looks very bad for eBid. I would like to suggest that all threads are closed when there has not been a reply for a year. Of course old threads should be retained for reference purposes so thast topics can be found using Forum Search.

View HerMajesty's Feedback (+1863)
    All-About HerMajesty
    View HerMajesty's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Old Forum threads

I'd guess those old threads WERE found with a search..........at least I only see about 20 threads unless I do a search. Once found, they reply on them. Do you see a lot of random old threads without searching?
    Ta-Ta for now!

HerMajesty

Slide Inn for Vintage 35mm photographic slides
    https://uk.ebid.net/stores/Slide-Inn

ALSO!! Click below to see my store, THE BEE'S KNEES!
    https://the-bees-knees.ebid.net

Forum Master
    All-About tony41
    View tony41's Listings
    Forum Posts

Yes. The old threads are probably found using search. My point is that old threads should be closed so that replies cannot be made but they can be accessed for reference.

View Inknook's Feedback (+10)
    All-About Inknook
    View Inknook's Listings
    Forum Posts

Why does it matter so much? Depending on a forum member's settings they could get an email to tell them a reply's been made on their thread and they might even come back.

Surely if the title of a thread is interesting enough for a rivival then past comments are probably also a good read, it isn't as though a question was asked of the original posters, it's just a continuation like a few older ones are.

As a fellow 2021 newcomer I'd like to say hi to prefab.sprout.uk on here https://www.ebid.net/forums/showthre...rst-Album-Ever

I responded to the old thread as someone who has just come back to ebid hopefully to build something here...
    my response was this below

I saw the post on this really old thread, as every day I check the latest posts on forums to see whats happening. I actually have the Faust album the guy was talking about and I did not bother to read the date it was posted - then when I saw your post... I totally agree it should not really be here!

I've just returned to ebid and am keen to see it do better - so I've been looking all over at things that could be better, things that are better (Customer Service -BRILLIANT) but now to my gripe!...

I am fed up with those 'Comments from ebidders' at the bottom of the page that are SO OUT OF DATE - they are older than this topic! So dare it be disputed that I'm out of order?

It really is time that they were replaced by newer comments from newer members - not members who have clearly packed up and gone years ago!

Anyway thats my first gripe of the day THANKS.

Now thats what I put up first thing today - I think my comment about OLDER praise from members who no longer sell here is far worse!
    Last edited by goldenwonders; 6th May 2021 at 12:51 PM.

All-About Inknook
    View Inknook's Listings
    Forum Posts

I read this reply on the other thread. As a brand new member I like discovering what's gone on before so don't see the harm of continuing an older thread like this especially when it's someone making their first post on something they've found interesting. In this case I actually found it respectful of past member's contributions.

Sorry but I don't understand this: I am fed up with those 'Comments from ebidders' at the bottom of the page that are SO OUT OF DATE - they are older than this topic! So dare it be disputed that I'm out of order?

Could I ask what you mean by 'ebidders at the bottom of the page'? Do you mean members that are currently online & reading the same thread?

x

Inknook: I think you are missing what I'm saying. Go to your selling page and then scroll right to the bottom of the page where it shows a blue bottom block with a section in the middle that is changing throughout the day. It gives quotes from sellers - and if you study a few of them most are not even selling here any more or their comments must relate to things from many years ago.

I am not criticising any members who are currently on line commenting. I am making an observation that it is not exactly doing ebid any favours showing comments by members about their successful selling here... ...when they have left ebid and not sold a thing here since 2016 or some even earlier! There are lots of these comments - There are a few from sellers who are still here, but the majority of comments are 'well past their sell by date' - the members have gone or have not listed for years - or worse have not sold for years!

as just one example currently showing

Comments from eBidders

"I sold 4 more of my pin badges tonight, so over 100 sales now.
    The same newbie who purchase 4 of the 4th February has come back
    for 4 more"
    EMMILY121
    eBidder Since April 2008

EMMILY121 appears not to have sold anything since 2016!!! ...and she does not have anything for sale now.

All-About Inknook
    View Inknook's Listings
    Forum Posts

Ahh right. Unsure where those footer comments are being pulled from. The usernames are live links though which seems quite advantageous. Some sellers have current listings (like deanosaur1972) but some don't.

Have you ever asked how to submit a comment or give feedback that would appear there? xx
    Last edited by Inknook; 6th May 2021 at 04:18 PM.

Forum Master
    All-About tony41
    View tony41's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by goldenwonders View Post
    Inknook: I think you are missing what I'm saying. Go to your selling page and then scroll right to the bottom of the page where it shows a blue bottom block with a section in the middle that is changing throughout the day. It gives quotes from sellers - and if you study a few of them most are not even selling here any more or their comments must relate to things from many years ago.

I am not criticising any members who are currently on line commenting. I am making an observation that it is not exactly doing ebid any favours showing comments by members about their successful selling here... ...when they have left ebid and not sold a thing here since 2016 or some even earlier! There are lots of these comments - There are a few from sellers who are still here, but the majority of comments are 'well past their sell by date' - the members have gone or have not listed for years - or worse have not sold for years!

as just one example currently showing

Comments from eBidders

"I sold 4 more of my pin badges tonight, so over 100 sales now.
    The same newbie who purchase 4 of the 4th February has come back
    for 4 more"
    EMMILY121
    eBidder Since April 2008

EMMILY121 appears not to have sold anything since 2016!!! ...and she does not have anything for sale now.

I agree with you. If we can't have recent quotes from current sellers perhaps the feature should be dropped.

Thread Information