Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help - Need to buy a New Printer

Kirton In Lindsey, Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
    View yellerbelly's Feedback (+97)
    All-About yellerbelly
    View yellerbelly's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Help - Need to buy a New Printer

Hoping that someone can give me some advice on printers, I have been without one for the past 8 months but decided I do need one but having trouble with which one to buy, I have been told to go for an Epson and trying to decide which model.

I am looking to buy an all-in-one inkjet printer, I have had two Cannons, 1st one I dropped when moved it to dust but it carried on working but refused after the 2nd time, and the 2nd one the paper kept jamming, so steering clear of them, I was given an HP one but it gave me so much trouble especially with 'align paper' after several times of removing and straightening paper that looked aligned anyway that due to frustration, temper and stress during lockdown I aligned it across the room, but I felt relaxed afterwards.

Don't want anything to difficult too as I am not very technically minded and fairly easy on the pocket, I want to be able to use it for some simple crafting (eg using wax paper) so any suggestions would be appreciated as I have been struggling to decide for the past month.

View Policequilts's Feedback (+995)
    All-About Policequilts
    View Policequilts's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Help - Need to buy a New Printer

Presently, I have a Brothers 2685DW Laser Printer with built in scanner/copier.

I don't need anything in color and a toner cartidge refilled runs $15-$25 and I can get anywhere from 1,000 t0 3,000 copies (pending on how much black print)

Prior I had an HP laser (they don't make them and those cartridges, I could print 10,000 copies)

For me, I can't see having an inkjet. I would be going through too much ink.

Laurencekirk, Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom
    View Maelbrigda's Feedback (+2605)
    All-About Maelbrigda
    View Maelbrigda's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi Joy. I have an HP2600 Envy with instant ink. It costs me £3.49 a month for up to 100 prints and they do other packages to suit your needs. The actual printer cost £59.99 with 7 months of free ink so i think it was a bargain. The only problem i find with it is that it will not accept cheapy photo paper. It just doesn't like it but if you use a branded name photo paper it works fine.
    Simply Handmade all my handmade items
    Maelbrigda's Bits and Pieces For Clothing and Jewellery, Ornaments, Odds & Ends & Much More
    Craft Store Crafty bits & pieces. Patterns, Card, Yarn, Stamps and more
    Books, Blu Rays, DVD's, CD's and Vinyl Records
    https://www.ebid.net/uk/stores/The-Pagan-Tree

Please have a look. I combine postage wherever possible.

Thornton Cleveleys, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View cheaver's Feedback (+1050)
    All-About cheaver
    View cheaver's Listings
    Forum Posts

I also found Canon to be a nightmare but the worst still for me was Kodak. I vowed never to have another printer after the Kodak so for the past 4 or 5 years I have shared the inks costs for my friend's Epson - the system we have works great, as has the Epson!

ps I just have an old Xerox for scanning.

edit: as senior moments go, this post is up there with the best of them!

I now understand that my friend's printer is in fact a Canon Pixma which she has had since 2014 trouble-free!

It was an earlier friend I was recalling re the well loved Epson.....

sigh, getting old is such a gem!

Last edited by cheaver; 23rd April 2021 at 08:02 AM.

I have an Epson XP-435, i have had it quite a few years now, it does everything but i find it difficult to figure out the settings as i always just had a normal printer before the all in one so it's me not it and it does work very well when i do hit the correct settings, i use asda inks in it when they have them as epson inks are very expensive

Quote Originally Posted by cheaver View Post
    I also found Canon to be a nightmare but the worst still for me was Kodak. I vowed never to have another printer after the Kodak so for the past 4 or 5 years I have shared the inks costs for my friend's Epson - the system we have works great, as has the Epson!

ps I just have an old Xerox for scanning.

edit: as senior moments go, this post is up there with the best of them!

I now understand that my friend's printer is in fact a Canon Pixma which she has had since 2014 trouble-free!

It was an earlier friend I was recalling re the well loved Epson.....

sigh, getting old is such a gem!

Mine is also an Epson - XP-342 (maybe now upgraded). It's an all-in-one, ery cheap and has been efficient and reliable. Scans easily and I just use my memory card to upload photos in the included slot. I use compatible inks which have given be no trouble at all. This is my second Epson and would recommend.

Stratford, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View billsstamps's Feedback (+31364)
    All-About billsstamps
    View billsstamps's Listings
    Forum Posts

The first thing I ask is how much the ink is going to cost, and then check whether compatible inks will also work.
    Reliability over the years 1st HP, 2nd Canon, Epson would never buy again, but new models do not necessarily work as well as ones in the past.
    Rev Dr Bill Hopkinson,
    Retired professor

BillsStamps

around 50000 stamps listed, based in London

Quote Originally Posted by billsstamps View Post
    The first thing I ask is how much the ink is going to cost, and then check whether compatible inks will also work.
    Reliability over the years 1st HP, 2nd Canon, Epson would never buy again, but new models do not necessarily work as well as ones in the past.
    Wouldn't touch Canon with a barge pole - have had two; each lasted around six months.

I guess, like all things, it is a matter of luck.

I have had this Epson Stylus SX200 for ages. I use it many times daily for printing colour pics for my wax melts and also postage labels.
    It's a great scanner too.

Epson inks are expensive and I have had no luck trying to use 'compatable' inks. Caused no end of problems.
    Trouble is - when printing suddenly becomes faulty and not up to scratch and head cleaning is required, it takes up to almost half of your ink cartridges to clean the heads. Sometimes I wonder whether to just buy a new printer with a full set of inks included.
    I hope others join in with their thoughts ....
    Visit my clothes store -here
    Look in my treasure in trove ! here
    For
    soy wax candles, tarts & melts click here
    For trading cards click here
    Visit my Tazo barhere

Kirton In Lindsey, Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
    View yellerbelly's Feedback (+97)
    All-About yellerbelly
    View yellerbelly's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hello just sat down, busy doing other things all day after getting behind yesterday,

Thanks everybody who replied looks like it is unanimous for Epson range I will check out the models mentioned and see if they are still available otherwise I will have to pick one out of others in the range taking into account cost of inks, my friend has recommended the XP8600 but it is more than I want to pay and I don't think it is suited to my needs as it seems to be all about photo printing which is not something I do a lot of.

Thanks again everyone

Thread Information