eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Google image search

Stratford, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View billsstamps's Feedback (+31360)
    All-About billsstamps
    View billsstamps's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Google image search

I use Google image search a lot to identify images - find one like this.
    It seems to have been disabled in the last 24 hours. Anyone else notice this?
    Rev Dr Bill Hopkinson,
    Retired professor

BillsStamps

around 50000 stamps listed, based in London

Default Re: Google image search

Just tried Google image search and it is working at the moment and I did use it several times yesterday. There is another image search you could try called tineye.com. It is available as an extension for Firefox; may be for other browsers too. I get different results for the same image and haven't worked out which is best. May be worth trying.

Scarborough, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View heatemyfather's Feedback (+53)
    All-About heatemyfather
    View heatemyfather's Listings
    Forum Posts

I have heard things that lead me to believe that Google is suffering a severe lack of talent, as in there are a number of people working there who don't really have the qualifications or knowledge to perform their duties properly. This is just second-hand information, but if one keeps this in mind then the things Google does and the recent problems they've had start to make sense - that big Google outage, the way some Google projects or facilities get disbanded for no apparent reason (maybe the brains behind that project left the company), the shoddy way Google Maps API was changed recently which made a lot of embedded maps break. I would not make it a habit of relying on any Google service (or Facebook etc, any Big Tech, most of which are based down the same road in California), look for alternatives (which might just be far superior, given a chance) and use them.

I haven't used Google search for a while now, instead it's duckduckgo for me. You'll likely get different search results depending on which search facility you use, Google gives you a curated / filtered set of results based on their own political and ideological views.
    Last edited by heatemyfather; 24th January 2021 at 01:37 PM.
    My auctions: video games, photography stuff, miniature wargaming hobby bits and pieces
    My eBid stores: Miniature Hobby Store | Old Games
    My eBid adverts page (also home to my free eBid promotional graphics):
    http://www.jonathanmortimer.co.uk/adverts/

Stratford, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View billsstamps's Feedback (+31360)
    All-About billsstamps
    View billsstamps's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heatemyfather View Post
    I have heard things that lead me to believe that Google is suffering a severe lack of talent, as in there are a number of people working there who don't really have the qualifications or knowledge to perform their duties properly. This is just second-hand information, but if one keeps this in mind then the things Google does and the recent problems they've had start to make sense - that big Google outage, the way some Google projects or facilities get disbanded for no apparent reason (maybe the brains behind that project left the company), the shoddy way Google Maps API was changed recently which made a lot of embedded maps break. I would not make it a habit of relying on any Google service (or Facebook etc, any Big Tech, most of which are based down the same road in California), look for alternatives (which might just be far superior, given a chance) and use them.
    I haven't used Google search for a while now, instead it's duckduckgo for me. You'll likely get different search results depending on which search facility you use, Google gives you a curated / filtered set of results based on their own political and ideological views.
    I don't use Google text search, mainly because I find myself chased by things I searched for three weeks ago. But there is no good alternative to image search yet.
    Rev Dr Bill Hopkinson,
    Retired professor

BillsStamps

around 50000 stamps listed, based in London

Thread Information