Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2021 Sellers Choice Awards for Marketplaces: Nominate Your Favorites

Forum Lurker
    West Hampstead, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View kodakfish's Feedback (+2289)
    All-About kodakfish
    View kodakfish's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: 2021 Sellers Choice Awards for Marketplaces: Nominate Your Favorites

yeh I saw that thanks Tony

Forum Master
    View tony41's Feedback (+10028)
    All-About tony41
    View tony41's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: 2021 Sellers Choice Awards for Marketplaces: Nominate Your Favorites

Quote Originally Posted by kodakfish View Post
    yeh I saw that thanks Tony
    eBid has not made the shortlist again so we will not be able to vote for eBid.
    I presume that eBid's absence is almost inevitable given that the eCommerce website and the survey are heavily slanted towards the USA

View Policequilts's Feedback (+995)
    All-About Policequilts
    View Policequilts's Listings
    Forum Posts

UPDATE

I see that they have the selling site survey now.

eBid did NOT make it in the top ten selling sites.

If you want to go and look at the survey : https://www.ecommercebytes.com/

Note: Poshmark is China base and Mercari is Japan base companies

Its a pity but the site just isn't getting noticed and no matter how hard I try most people just don't see the site as a viable income! which is annoying to me since it provides many functions you don't see on other platforms and I didn't see many sales last year but they were still sales I never would have seen. They can make lots of changes which would clearly make the site more interesting and hopefully this year is when it happens

All-About Policequilts
    Forum Posts

Sellers need to figure out ways of promoting this site.

I don't mind promoting the site and my shops, too.

I do have several accounts on Pinterest for my shops and a board with eBid sellers.
    Then I have a Pinterest account for group boards for sellers called SellersMall. Boards of various categories of items for sale. Then, I also created two (2) boards : 1: ebid USA sellers 2: ebid UK Europe sellers.
    I am hoping that this will also attract buyers that their are other marketplaces to search out treasures.

I don't do Facebook, Instagram and such. I do understand Pinterest.

Thank you for trying to promote the site. Like you I don't do FB etc., but I did use Pinterest and even opened an account when they blacked-out most of the page I was trying to look at until I did. It used to be quite useful for ID'ing pieces of glass.

The big problem I've found with all these SM sites (apart from the constant "Join Up & Accept Cookies" messages)is that unless I know exactly what I'm looking for I go round in circles. Often finding nothing because the circles always seem to lead to Amazon, ebay and etsy.

Even when doing image searches on Bing or Yahoo (.uk), after a token effort at finding a UK glass manufacturer they soon revert to images of vintage American glass and just as quickly move on to ads. for U.S contemporary glass for sale. "Search the Web" is worse, search for anything and the first few pages of results are 90% the same big three companies. If I'm lucky I might find a reference site or a blog for collectors somewhere on p.12.

So when I'm searching for my treasures, what direction am I going to be pointed in by searching on big U.S sites? Mostly other big U.S sites advertising U.S companies and sellers.

Because I know about ebid I can get better results (but not much better) by searching "xxxx on ebid". But for the majority who don't know ebid, the chances of them finding it on the net are small.

Even when I occasionally look on google shopping the first search I do often often doesn't have an ebid filter box, only the big three. It's not until I find an ebid item and click on it that a box appears to select for ebid.

I don't know what the answer is, but trying to advertise a listing or even a smaller site on the wwww is akin to scattering a few needles in a hay-stack and hoping someone will find them by chance.
    ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ----------

http://uk.ebid.net/users/theElench

All-About Policequilts
    Forum Posts

@https://www.ebid.net/forums/member.php?1344120-theElench

I like looking at the views of the items and under the eBid UK, I see a lot of views.
    I see a lot of views when I am pinning dishware / collectibles. I think that the UK has more of what the people are looking for when it comes to replacing their dishware or adding to their collections.

The one thing I would like to see on the UK side is more that have Buy It Now.
    Those are worth pinning since there is a longer life of their pins with the same ID reference with the auto posting done.
    When there is an auction, the pin only is "active" for a short time. I hate to say that I started to watch out for auction items and look for the BuyItNow items.

PS: I would love if some of you(s) who do all auction have some or so with Buy It Now and I am more than happy to pin them for you.

I haven't pinned for a while since I am trying to get my tax information together in order to file.

All-About 4Minutes
    View 4Minutes's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HaggisLover View Post
    Its a pity but the site just isn't getting noticed and no matter how hard I try most people just don't see the site as a viable income! which is annoying to me since it provides many functions you don't see on other platforms and I didn't see many sales last year but they were still sales I never would have seen. They can make lots of changes which would clearly make the site more interesting and hopefully this year is when it happens
    You say that, but one thing that attracted me to eBid is their tie-in with Google. I was skeptical initially but I've now seen several of my products on Google Shopping within days. The more eBid sellers that make sure to follow the rules for appearing on Google listings (and eBid makes it clear what you have to do to achieve that in the item page) the more eBid items will appear and oust etsy, zazzle and fleabay.

I'm sure you're right about the tie-in with GS. Selling in a niche market I'm not a high volume seller (nor expect to be) and have tried to work out where my buyers come from. Most being zero FB and newly signed-up buyers (although I am getting a few repeat buyers now). Some obviously from notes in parcels sold on obay (I can often remember the address). Others, without any real proof, are I think simply a result of peoples' willingness to look further afield when they can't find what they want on the bigger sites. That's exactly what I'm doing.

The other two possible avenues are the "Plug Your Auction" thread and GS. My sales started slowly increasing in 2019.

Was it a co-incidence that views on my weekly post went from around 20, to 30 - 40 at around the same time? I'm not sure as it's not clear how many views are auto-security bots. I'd always assumed that whatever views were by humans, they were by other site members. Now I'm not so sure, are off-site browsers book-marking the page perhaps as a short-cut to see what's new?

The big jump in sales in 2020 came after I read a post about GS where someone mentioned that they have a policy of "No Duplicate Listings" and if a listing here looked the same as the one I had on obay, it was the obay one that was shown.

I don't remember that important piece of info. being included in the ebid Help Info. I am sure that since I'm now very careful to re-write my listings before putting them on obay, so they're clearly different, that how many items I sell on the two sites has reversed. 2020 was the first year I sold more on ebid, it was also my best year on ebid.

Allowing that one year doesn't actually prove anything, it's something worth remembering and trying out.
    ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ----------

http://uk.ebid.net/users/theElench

Kirton In Lindsey, Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
    View yellerbelly's Feedback (+97)
    All-About yellerbelly
    View yellerbelly's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HaggisLover View Post
    I don't normally check google shopping but thought I would tonight, maybe just me but put google shopping in my browser and when it ask for search I put in knitting patterns came up with the patterns but if you look to the left hand side where it gives new, used etc gives lists of sellers ebay, etsy etc but ebid is not even mentioned.

I have not listed any new items this year, when you look at sellers feedback some sellers look as if they have not sold anything for years because of lack of feedback, it does not instill confidence into buyers and as mentioned in previous posting the sellers comments at the bottom of home page is out of date as some sellers are no longer on the site.

Thread Information