eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Holiday Notice spot the difference!

Default Re: Holiday Notice spot the difference!

Quote Originally Posted by gazza View Post
    I think the assumption has always been that if someone aims to keep advertising their products online whilst away then they would also be willing to answer questions to potential buyers, just not be able to physically post out goods during the period. To completely stop all traffic and interest in their items then a bulk edit + close would maybe be more suitable.

As ever we are open to all suggestions on how to improve all aspects of the site though, let us know.

Thanks,
    Gazza

My 'assumption' would be different.

Sometimes when on holiday it is not practical to answer questions. Buyers do realize that - they go on holiday as well. The problem with the notice has been detailed on the numerous posts above - the site is inviting questions when it shouldn't.

The continued presence of listings online whilst someone is on holiday is of benefit to eBid - it is the listings that bring the majority of people to eBid from organic search engines. That awareness brings in buyers and more importantly sellers. Those listings are probably more an advert for eBid than eBid is an advert for sellers. A holiday listing that brings someone on to eBid can open up many avenues - they may buy when the seller re-opens - they will almost certainly take a look to see what other sellers are selling - and they now realize there is an alternative site to sell on. So to advocate closing the listings whilst on holiday would cost eBid huge amounts of sales and potential new sellers.

View madelaine's Feedback (+5872)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gazza View Post
    I think the assumption has always been that if someone aims to keep advertising their products online whilst away then they would also be willing to answer questions to potential buyers, just not be able to physically post out goods during the period. To completely stop all traffic and interest in their items then a bulk edit + close would maybe be more suitable.

As ever we are open to all suggestions on how to improve all aspects of the site though, let us know.

Thanks,
    Gazza
    I think this thread shows that you may be wrong about the holiday notice. I liked the idea that if someone searched, found something they were interested when I was away they stuck it on their watch list and then bought or asked about it when I returned.

Bulk edit & Close would work but it would mean that someone who looked while the seller was away would think there was nothing of interest and, possibly, never return

And then there is the colour of the seller's notice...
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

Forum Master
    View tony41's Feedback (+10028)
    All-About tony41
    View tony41's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by madelaine View Post
    I think this thread shows that you may be wrong about the holiday notice. I liked the idea that if someone searched, found something they were interested when I was away they stuck it on their watch list and then bought or asked about it when I returned.

Bulk edit & Close would work but it would mean that someone who looked while the seller was away would think there was nothing of interest and, possibly, never return

And then there is the colour of the seller's notice...

I agree with Madelaine about items being found in a search while the seller was on holiday. I have had buyers who have come back and bought stamps after I had returned from holiday.
    The holiday notice should be highlighted to make it more visible so that buyers are not disappointed (or worse) when their item does not arrive.

Forum Saint
    View Anniemcc2's Feedback (+3934)
    All-About Anniemcc2
    View Anniemcc2's Listings
    Forum Posts

Think Gazza has missed cheaver's point - not everyone is able or wants to answer queries whilst away.
    And depending on where they are, they may not have internet access during this time either.

Putting listings on hold for a week or two is ideal for such a situation as this - but NOT closing them completely.

Another screen shot from a previous query about Holiday Notices showing original wording which is what we need to get back to.

Name:  Holiday_Notice_2.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  19.9 KB

View sucadot's Feedback (+845)
    All-About sucadot
    View sucadot's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anniemcc2 View Post
    Think Gazza has missed cheaver's point - not everyone is able or wants to answer queries whilst away.
    And depending on where they are, they may not have internet access during this time either.

Putting listings on hold for a week or two is ideal for such a situation as this - but NOT closing them completely.

Another screen shot from a previous query about Holiday Notices showing original wording which is what we need to get back to.

Totally agree!

The original notice lets the seller decide on q&a in their own wording - can we have it back please?
    [SIGPIC]
    view my listings here

Thornton Cleveleys, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View cheaver's Feedback (+1050)
    All-About cheaver
    View cheaver's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anniemcc2 View Post

Thank You Annie, that is exactly what I meant.

I do not have a mobile phone with Internet access. My friend does, but Internet where we were staying was, at best, slow and also INSECURE. The libraries, miles away from us, were all closed.

Further, no-one has the right to dictate what I should or should not do when on holiday - although I do appreciate that Gazza might possibly be upset at click-throughs on items where Sellers are away on holiday (although historically this has not been an issue) - and it is for that reason I have continued for quite a long time to remove my listings from Google shopping whilst I am away on holiday and restore them again upon my return.

It is eBid's playpen - but Deano's points should seriously be considered IMO before making decisions.

In the meantime perhaps eBid's current holiday notice could be considered as a little high handed and be reverted back as asked for?

Last edited by cheaver; 11th July 2020 at 03:41 PM.

Stratford, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View billsstamps's Feedback (+31364)
    All-About billsstamps
    View billsstamps's Listings
    Forum Posts

I don't see this.
    I have two alternative holiday notice types.
    One says, the store will reopen on such a date because of vacation.
    This is a bids not available notice for when, either I am unable to respond, or it is too long until I can post. Usually this is when I am long haul, or on a cruise ship.
    Second says, with store open, and a notice in place. the store is available tor bidding, but the next posting date is such a date, because of being out of office. Usually this is when I am taking a break of less than 14 days.
    If someone sends me a message with a store closed, I will answer if I can, but if I can't, answer is delayed. I lose no sleep over this because I have many listings with a steady income to Ebid, and it is not in their interest to play silly with me.
    Rev Dr Bill Hopkinson,
    Retired professor

BillsStamps

around 50000 stamps listed, based in London

View madelaine's Feedback (+5872)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by billsstamps View Post
    I lose no sleep over this because I have many listings with a steady income to Ebid, and it is not in their interest to play silly with me.
    It appears that they think it is!
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

Stratford, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View billsstamps's Feedback (+31364)
    All-About billsstamps
    View billsstamps's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by madelaine View Post
    It appears that they think it is!
    Well, I am comfortable with Gazza's comment.

We think the assumption has always been that if someone aims to keep advertising their products online whilst away then they would also be willing to answer questions to potential buyers, just not be able to physically post out goods during the period. To completely stop all traffic and interest in their items then a bulk edit + close would maybe be more suitable.

Thanks,
    Gazza
    However, I take the view that if you cannot bid or buy, you may have to wait longer for an answer to a question.
    Never had a problem with not answering questions in the last 10 years.

Bill
    Rev Dr Bill Hopkinson,
    Retired professor

BillsStamps

around 50000 stamps listed, based in London

Thornton Cleveleys, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View cheaver's Feedback (+1050)
    All-About cheaver
    View cheaver's Listings
    Forum Posts

I don't see this.
    Well, I am comfortable with Gazza's comment.

Never had a problem with not answering questions in the last 10 years.

Bill
    Others obviously "see it".

Others may not be comfortable with Gazza's comment - I was astounded at his assumption, actually.

The issue has not arisen in the last 10 years...... the holiday notice wording has only recently been amended.

Last edited by cheaver; 14th July 2020 at 10:32 AM.

Thread Information