Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Cookies and tracking - and idiocy!

Default Cookies and tracking - and idiocy!

I love it when these things go totally wrong and misunderstand what the user has been doing. It's all faulty filtering of course, but such fun!

A week ago I had about 10 emails from "feeBay" offering me various electronic devices. I binned them for a day or so, wthout even thinking about it - then decided to try to work out what I was supposed to be looking for.

It wasn't immediately obvious, but I suddenly remembered I'd done a UK wide search for religious statuary (a friend had been asking about a mini-grotto!
    ) For searching, I use a clustering engine. Guess what? The electronic device lists all contained the abbreviation "rc" or "RC" - "remote control"!!

The one that really annoys me, though, is when a site starts to bombard me with advertisements when I already own the software or am a hardware customer. An example would be my VPN software supplier. I went to the site about a week ago to check my account status.It's been trying to sell me the program ever since - and I have two years still to run!

Default Re: Cookies and tracking - and idiocy!

I know what you mean - I only have to look up anything on the net and I'm bombarded with offers for similar items wherever I go - drives me daft! I hate cookies with a vengence (except the edible kind) to the point my own websites are not cookied at all. I'm sure some expert somewhere will tell me how much I'm losing out, but I'm not going to change it!

Kirton In Lindsey, Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
    View yellerbelly's Feedback (+97)
    All-About yellerbelly
    View yellerbelly's Listings
    Forum Posts

This annoys me also, I do not want to be bombarded with advertisements and have a cookie blocker, I am not influenced by advertising and the more I am bombarded with adds the less likely I would be to buy from them, if I click on something and it advises me I have cookies and to be able to read it I have to remove my cookie blocker, then I just move on, ok I maybe do miss out on info but rather that than be bombarded with adds.

Google has now sent me an ad headed "All Saints"! I'm getting holier by the minute while discussing (And yes! - I'd rather be eating them, too!) cookies!!

Stoke-On-Trent, Staffordshire, United Kingdom
    View Darthmatt's Feedback (+45)
    All-About Darthmatt
    View Darthmatt's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cambrensis View Post

The one that really annoys me, though, is when a site starts to bombard me with advertisements when I already own the software or am a hardware customer. An example would be my VPN software supplier. I went to the site about a week ago to check my account status.It's been trying to sell me the program ever since - and I have two years still to run!
    Fully empathise with this one happens all the time.
    Funniest thing was Nord having an advert for TV in there

Lately though i've been amused by the volume of folks trying to sell me products or services without checking their messages.
    I had someone email me at work offering to assist with websites and social media with the following: "grate scocial media content awaits"
    Bit of a chortle before assigning it to spam..

Another guy was a bit persistent and on the 4th attempt at trying to convince me to partner with his web company and attend a videocall, referred to "my pervious email of great impertinence"
    Just realised i needed to mod my old signature. No set categories yet, but i'll work on that now i am back and update as able
    --------
    Link to my old account for reference.
    Togsforall [/center]

Thread Information