My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: The situation in Italy

Default The situation in Italy

I thought you would be interested to hear what the situation is like in Italy at the moment as they are three weeks ahead of us with the lock down. I've just got this letter from an artist friend of mine who is married to an Italian and lives in Italy.
    Rather sombre reading so please everybody heed her warnings.

Just a quick up-date of what stage we’ve got to, here in Italy, after six weeks of government restrictions: nothing poetic about this.

In Lombardy you cannot go out of the house without masks. Many of us were wearing them anyway, but now it is obligatory. Please all be ready with masks and use them: the right ones, of course. And gloves.

Very few people are on the streets, and each one avoids the others at all costs. We can only go out with a stated and signed reason, and anyway it’s not nice being out there at all.

There are long, masked queues outside the supermarkets. Most of the big chains are now concentrating on home deliveries. I’ve told you about our green market ones. As we need washing-up liquid and chocolate (!) too, we’re going to try a chain supermarket delivery,too. In theory M..... could jump the queue, but neither of us wants to be in a closed air-conditioned environment, if we can avoid it.

The numbers of new cases in Lombardy are flattening out. This does not mean that we’re anywhere near resolving the problem. New daily infections and deaths are still well into more than triple and double figures.

A micro/macro local example: Our little stone house stands above the small village of Zavattarello, 2.5 hours’ drive from Milan, with a population of 300+, maybe 400 people counting everybody. Already more than 16 are dead, including some young people. More than 20 are infected, and the numbers keep rising for the worst.
    Our little Paradise will never be the same again, or not for a longtime, anyway.

We are following the rules. Please follow the rules, too.

With Easter coming up the streets in and out of the city will be controlled by the army to avoid mass movement of people spreading/re-spreading the plague. Salvini, the right-wing unspeakable leader of the Lega party, wants to re-open the churches for Easter, to win Catholic votes. This would only get people gathering again.
    The 25th April is a bank holiday and 1st May,too. How is the government going to get people to stay at home?
    Today’s restrictions are in place until 13th April; many experts are saying that they should continue. The industrialists are the ones who want to re-open the production lines. 2.5 million small/ medium business are on lock down. How many of them will re-open?
    They’re already talking about Phase 2, letting people out. Not too soon, please. Please, not too soon.

Obviously the whole thing is much more complicated, the numbers are terrifying.

It is very serious. Please take it seriously.

Keep away from people.

To give some sense to all of Italy being kept indoors, that’s 60+million people, the governments across the continent and the channel must learn both from Italy’s intelligent decisions and big mistakes. Just for a start, how important it is to save the lives of medical staff first.

At least if our staying indoors can save one life, here, there,anywhere.

On a personal note:
    M..... and I are both okay.

Without physiotherapy and other help, M.... some days can hardly walk. A short go round the block, when we have the courage, is not enough, as walking up and down in the house isn’t either. His legs are getting weaker and his back is agony. We’re trying to invent ways to help him, beyond massage that might alleviate the pain for a moment. This is apart from all the other reasons M.... is very vulnerable.

I’m trying to get the mind/body balance in this very strange,difficult time. I’ve lost more than 2 kg, mostly through anxiety,and need to spoil myself with a few more biscuits, and bit more chocolate.
    M....'s painting and painting and painting. I'm drawing, writing and doing lots of different things.That's the way to do it !
    Last edited by cornishmaid1961; 9th April 2020 at 10:16 PM.

Forum Saint
    View Anniemcc2's Feedback (+3934)
    All-About Anniemcc2
    View Anniemcc2's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: The situation in Italy

Quite an eye opener ...

View sucadot's Feedback (+845)
    All-About sucadot
    View sucadot's Listings
    Forum Posts

Sombre reading indeed. A timely reminder for us all to carry on observing the lock-down. Thank you for sharing Becky.
    [SIGPIC]
    view my listings here

Thank you for sharing this, Cornish.

"Salvini, the right-wing unspeakable leader of the Lega party, wants to re-open the churches for Easter, to win Catholic votes."

Yes - he's quite somebody is this Salvini, but not very bright. He does not seem to realise that our closing of churches and all the rest of it is a directive from Rome reinforcing what governments say. If there were any need to go against a government then we would be told!!

Salvini's extreme anti-Islamic platform is reminiscent of another Italian politician whom some of us remember...I wonder - last week the Jews, this week the Muslims, next week the Protestants...or maybe the Catholics...

He's certainly doing his best to undermine Pope Francis, the man who has been known to give his bodyguard the slip and jump on a bus when he can!

Last edited by cambrensis; 10th April 2020 at 09:11 AM.

Kirton In Lindsey, Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
    View yellerbelly's Feedback (+97)
    All-About yellerbelly
    View yellerbelly's Listings
    Forum Posts

Becky, just read your post, catching up as I have been busy in the garden like others, some people will not listen and common sense is a rare commodity these days and will not listen, a law unto themselves, do not care about others, only this morning I was accosted in my front garden by a neighbour who was failing to keep the 2 mtr distance, trying to intimidate me because I had ask them earlier, politely to turn down the music which I could hear in my home with the windows closed, I will add I was not intimidated by his size just the fact that he was getting to close.

Perhaps I will be one of those driving up the road to sit in a quiet lay-by to read a book or sit knitting or sewing in the next few weeks just to get some peace and quiet as I am sensitive to noise, not only an age thing but medical also.

Stoke-On-Trent, Staffordshire, United Kingdom
    View Darthmatt's Feedback (+45)
    All-About Darthmatt
    View Darthmatt's Listings
    Forum Posts

There are people near here who seem to be continuing to flit about without any real necessity.
    Yes, its not great being stuck at home especially with the nice weather but it's not like we are being instructed to take up arms, be sent to another country and asked to engage a physical enemy ... it's simple stay at home unless absolutely necessary and that is all.

I am still doing a trip to a supermarket once a week, but that is my only trip, barring the allowed daily exercise. The latter being in my local area, which thankfully is out in the countryside. Dismayed to see the number of people driving here, parking and wandering/cycling about.
    Just realised i needed to mod my old signature. No set categories yet, but i'll work on that now i am back and update as able
    --------
    Link to my old account for reference.
    Togsforall [/center]

Thread Information