eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Retirement.

Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, United Kingdom
    View emerson's Feedback (+1378)
    All-About emerson
    View emerson's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Retirement.

Well,I never expected retirement to be like this.

I retired at the end of June last year, and I was looking forward to a relaxing time walking in the countryside with my camera,taking pictures of the local wildlife, etc.

My wife retired at the same time, she wasn't going to go to work with me at home.

We joined the local U3A in January and we joined the walking group, and I joined the photography group, both of which have now been suspended.

We had booked a holiday to Cyprus in May, which is now not going to happen.

So,what have we been doing? well we have tidied up the garden a bit, it's a good job that the weather is good, and we have painted the shed, which needs another coat next week. we are planning to paint the kitchen too. We have the paint ready as when we did it a while ago, it was buy one get one free, so it will be the same colours.

Well, that's the news for now. Maybe an update will follow shortly.

Bye for now and stay safe folks.

Ken.
    MY OLD RUBB..........I MEAN QUALITY GOODS
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/Emersons

CHARITY AUCTIONS FOR RAINBOWS
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/Rainbows-H...d-Young-Adults

May the force be with you.

Why are we here if not to make life easier for each other. (Roger Bannister).

Forum Saint
    View Anniemcc2's Feedback (+3934)
    All-About Anniemcc2
    View Anniemcc2's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Retirement.

I retired 4 years ago after my knee replacement surgery + I was caring for my elderly father at the time. OH retired a year ago with many plans for touring with our newly acquired motorhome.

We managed a bit of travelling to Ireland and Scotland between times. I also had hip replacement surgery before Christmas and we planned a 4-6 week trip to France this May & June with the MH.

Then fate stepped in with my father suffering a minor stroke back in January. He was also diagnosed with Parkinson's which had been suspected for a while. He was sent home too early and 3 days later I found him on the floor with a broken wrist. Another trip to A&E and this time he was told in no uncertain terms, he wasn't fit to come home - he had to consider going into a nursing home - which happened last week. The home is now on lockdown and I can't go to see him

We have spent the last 3-4 weeks emptying Dad's house with trips to the Wales Air Ambulance charity shop and the recycling yard - last lot ready to go and they close due to the nationwide lockdown! Our little house and our loft in particular is bursting at the seams!

Himself is suffering a bit with cabin fever as he's running out of things to do without creating complete chaos.
    Me - I'm doing my postage editing and when that's finished, I have many updates to work on with my family history website - and trying not to eat too much!
    Last edited by Anniemcc2; 29th March 2020 at 08:33 AM.

Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, United Kingdom
    View emerson's Feedback (+1378)
    All-About emerson
    View emerson's Listings
    Forum Posts

I have just re-read my post and it reads like I am complaining about our situation.

I am not.

There are millions of people who are in a worse situation than us. We can get out to do our shopping once a week and the supermarkets are doing a fantastic job of organizing the number of people in the store at any one time. The shelves are full of everything that we need for the week.

The village where we live is surrounded by farmland with right-of-way paths and bridleways across them, and to the east there is the river Wreake and the old gravel pit lakes with wildlife around them, so we can get our daily exercise walking across the fields and around the lakes for an hour
    and not meet another person.

I am a little worried about my daughter though, she works in the research department of the Leicester Royal Infirmary, "normally" testing blood and drugs for research into cancers, but now she has been moved to testing blood from Covid-19 infected patients. So at the sharp end of the fight against the virus.

I'm sorry to read about your dad, Annie, I'm sure he will be cared for as best as possible, care homes are doing a fantastic job under the circumstances.

So stay safe folks.

Ken.
    MY OLD RUBB..........I MEAN QUALITY GOODS
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/Emersons

CHARITY AUCTIONS FOR RAINBOWS
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/Rainbows-H...d-Young-Adults

May the force be with you.

Why are we here if not to make life easier for each other. (Roger Bannister).

Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
    View bluebedouin's Feedback (+107)
    All-About bluebedouin
    View bluebedouin's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anniemcc2 View Post
    ...The home is now on lockdown and I can't go to see him
    Is there someone at the home that could do a video call from him?

View HerMajesty's Feedback (+1863)
    All-About HerMajesty
    View HerMajesty's Listings
    Forum Posts

It's really nice to read about people's lives and feel like you know them a bit more. Nice thread, Emerson. I retired about 12 years ago when I moved to Wales....wasn't allowed to work for a couple years, then just retired. I had spent the prior 4-5 years taking care of my mom. She wasn't doing very well in assisted living. so I quit my job and moved to the state where she was, got an apt, and had her move in with me. She vastly improved and was good almost to the end. OH said we'd move in 4 years when I came over. That was...the 12 years ago, at least. We have been getting the place sorted and repaired and decorated as money allowed, when he finally retired a few years ago, readying to sell this spring. Well, not so much now. Haven't seen my girls since last June. Was going to go there end of March, and if not then, for sure in May for grnson's graduation and daghter's 45th birthday. Not so much now. Life is always throwing us curves. So I worry about my girls and their families far away. OH's kids here....two are doctors, one also married to a doc, and one's gf a hospice nurse. So we know they are in the busy lane now. We are fortunate that our castle has rather roomy gardens, so our chickens don't bother anyone, and we can enjoy the wildlife. We can go for a walk whenever we want, tho motivation is more lacking than opportunity. I think, for me, that it's gotten too easy to be lazy. I feel better when I am active, and my brain is better when not listening to the gloom and doom, which will do what it wants without my input. We have been isolating for over 2 weeks now. That bit is ok with me - I like my privacy. Recently I started dipping into my painting again - so maybe this will open that door of opportunity a bit more. I've put out some plants in the garden - some wild orchids I started from seed last year, and some cuttings a friend gave me last autumn. Enjoying the four little bunnies living under the cement slab walkway in the old greenhouse. Other areas have other bunny families. Lots of birds come and eat the birdseed we put out, and we have a pair of woodpeckers who tackle the fatballs, as do other little songbirds. Glad spring is here. My mini lilac will be getting buds and blooming, probably in May. Having the internet in a time like this is amazingly wonderful - we can keep up with family and friends, learn new skills and crafts, and take virtual tours, share grins and jokes, and keep up to date with the world. Fascinating times, and one I'm sure we will look back on with relief when it's over.
    Ta-Ta for now!

HerMajesty

Slide Inn for Vintage 35mm photographic slides
    https://uk.ebid.net/stores/Slide-Inn

ALSO!! Click below to see my store, THE BEE'S KNEES!
    https://the-bees-knees.ebid.net

Forum Saint
    View moonwitch's Feedback (+1616)
    All-About moonwitch
    View moonwitch's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bluebedouin View Post

My mum's care home is now on lockdown and the staff make sure that my sister and our mum stay in touch via video calls.

Mum has no idea who my sister is now but Jaquie knows who mum is

Name:  84399684_1078184375849520_8467980258350465024_n.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  81.6 KB

Name:  89803246_1121063158228308_1448076798263820288_n.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  69.5 KB

View madelaine's Feedback (+5872)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

Having been a bit restricted last year while the NHS didn't exactly rush to find out what was wrong with me and then spending time recovering from heart surgery, now, fit and well, I'm stuck in. In truth, I'm not unhappy - loads of crafts to do, still selling online and with family history taking every remaining spare moment.

However, I was struck by the bit about wildlife photography... see below - taken just after lunch today
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

View HerMajesty's Feedback (+1863)
    All-About HerMajesty
    View HerMajesty's Listings
    Forum Posts

Moonie - your mom's care home does sound amazing. Your mom looks like she is well-cared for, which is wonderful! Yep, we remember our parents even when they've gotten to the point of forgetting. The YDC you did supporting the home was a good choice!

Madelaine, I didn't realize you had such health issues - so glad you got it sorted when you did, and successfully! Glad you are back to things you enjoy! I like family history research, too! Frustrating when you find someone you'd really like to research, and just hit dead ends! And sometimes, in my case, language barriers. Nice pheasant! I posted a pic of our visitor - who is still sticking around because I serve birdseed. He doesn't have a white ring on his neck, but is also handsome!
    Ta-Ta for now!

HerMajesty

Slide Inn for Vintage 35mm photographic slides
    https://uk.ebid.net/stores/Slide-Inn

ALSO!! Click below to see my store, THE BEE'S KNEES!
    https://the-bees-knees.ebid.net

View madelaine's Feedback (+5872)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

We usually have a visiting pheasant in the shooting season - he must have been a pheasant genius because there is no chance of being shot here - far too many houses and roads. However, now we don't have a dog, one has taken up residence close to us.

We are lucky enough to have loads of places to walk and everything we need (as opposed to want) is within easy walking distance. This even includes having suitably distanced conversations with neighbours are we do our permitted exercise and necessary shopping.
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

Forum Saint
    View Anniemcc2's Feedback (+3934)
    All-About Anniemcc2
    View Anniemcc2's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bluebedouin View Post
    We've tried that already [before all this] with Skype and Duo when talking to his grandsons/gt grandchildren in Oz & Canada but with his cataracts, he has difficulty seeing the screen.
    Same as tv, he can't watch it for long before his eyes hurt and he falls asleep!

Thread Information