eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wedgwood & Co pottery question

Default Wedgwood & Co pottery question

Good morning all,

do any of the pottery sellers here know anything about this tea-set by Wedgwood & Co. please?

Years ago I bought the three odd pieces (plus a cup that got broken) that have been listed here for nearly five years without any interest or any others joining them. I love the set and only listed what I have after several years fruitlessly searching for more, having given up hope of finding any.

Yesterday I found this (sugar-bowl??), all alone, in a charity shop and my interest has re-ignited.

I think it's Earthenware, there is a brownish colour showing through the white glaze in places where it is thin and it doesn't have the high-pitched ring I associate with porcelain, although it is quite light in weight. I'm reasonably sure the pattern is hand painted, there are what look like brush-strokes on it.

Anything like a name, pattern number or date would be a great help and much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dave.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ----------

http://uk.ebid.net/users/theElench

Default Re: Wedgwood & Co pottery question

And two more pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ----------

The second unicorn mark along with 'England' was from c.1908 onwards and the design is certainly art deco so 1920's - 30's. Lol, I thought I had found the pattern for you on Google but when I clicked it took me to one of your listings here at eBid ! Sorry I can't be of more help.

Forum Master
    View tony41's Feedback (+10028)
    All-About tony41
    View tony41's Listings
    Forum Posts

Not my area of expertise but it has the appearance of Clarice Cliff to my untutored eyes.

Don't know if this is of any help, but found this info on Wedgwood & Co

View HerMajesty's Feedback (+1863)
    All-About HerMajesty
    View HerMajesty's Listings
    Forum Posts

I like it.
    Ta-Ta for now!

HerMajesty

Slide Inn for Vintage 35mm photographic slides
    https://uk.ebid.net/stores/Slide-Inn

ALSO!! Click below to see my store, THE BEE'S KNEES!
    https://the-bees-knees.ebid.net

Forum Saint
    View Anniemcc2's Feedback (+3934)
    All-About Anniemcc2
    View Anniemcc2's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tony41 View Post
    Not my area of expertise but it has the appearance of Clarice Cliff to my untutored eyes.
    That was my 1st thought until I saw the base.

Forum Saint
    View moonwitch's Feedback (+1616)
    All-About moonwitch
    View moonwitch's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tony41 View Post
    Clarice Cliff was my first thought when I saw the designs.

Quote Originally Posted by hurryb4itsgone View Post
    Don't know if this is of any help, but found this info on Wedgwood & Co
    Thanks for that info., nice to know their stuff was known for being good quality. The white glaze is certainly better than that on some of the other Deco ceramics I have. The design is a bit fragile and has chipped in a few spots. Cold painted possibly? Pottery isn't my field either but the vividness of the colours attracted me to the design, C. Cliff also used a brighter palette than most others, so agree there is some similarity but so far as I know she only ever worked for one company. (not Wedgwood)

PS. I have replied to your message but forgot to say that I know nothing about US import duties (I doubt that the post office will either) so what I find out may not be the total. Would advise that you check at your end. Sorry but I'm having an early night, tomorrow is going to be very wearing.
    Last edited by theElench; 2nd February 2020 at 10:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by theElench View Post
    Thanks for that info., nice to know their stuff was known for being good quality. The white glaze is certainly better than that on some of the other Deco ceramics I have. The design is a bit fragile and has chipped in a few spots. Cold painted possibly? Pottery isn't my field either but the vividness of the colours attracted me to the design, C. Cliff also used a brighter palette than most others, so agree there is some similarity but so far as I know she only ever worked for one company. (not Wedgwood)

PS. I have replied to your message but forgot to say that I know nothing about US import duties (I doubt that the post office will either) so what I find out may not be the total. Would advise that you check at your end. Sorry but I'm having an early night, tomorrow is going to be very wearing.
    From what I can find, there is no duty for items valued at under $100.

Thread Information