eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Have you blown up any cats recently?

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Have you blown up any cats recently?

I once painted a large sign to go over the bay I ran. It was to read "OXYGEN BAY".

I was quite pleased with the result as I fixed it over the entrance - until some idiot wandered up and asked me what an "OYGEN BAY" was.

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    I once painted a large sign to go over the bay I ran. It was to read "OXYGEN BAY".

I was quite pleased with the result as I fixed it over the entrance - until some idiot wandered up and asked me what an "OYGEN BAY" was.
    Be glad they he did not ask about the "OXEN BAY!"

[QUOTE=sucadot;1711780]and use a dictionary! /QUOTE]

I once came across the Head of Department of English in a Comprehensive school who would not allow sixth formers access to dictionaries when reading text in class. His reasoning was that the context would inevitably give the meaning. I decided to bide my time rather than argue....
    Some weeks later the youngsters had been reading a contemporary American poet with him. I glanced at the poem and then at the notes they had written. Several had written the phrase "ethnic group" in the margin opposite the word "saltimbancos". Literally it means "bench jumpers" and is an Italian word meaning "tumblers/acrobats". The poet was describing some boys attempting to walk through a moving train! (The context).
    I took great delight in telling him very loudly in the staff room during break about some ignoramus in the 6th who had passed his notes about the poem around the other lads and lasses; of course I also added that the error would not have been perpetrated had the lazy hound bothered to check the word if his French or Italian were not up to it. This was about 30 years ago so he must be into his seventies by now!
    Last edited by cambrensis; 15th June 2019 at 07:54 PM.

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cambrensis View Post
    Be glad they he did not ask about the "OXEN BAY!"
    They wouldn't have done that as I had left the X out. The only excuse I could evolve was that as the sign was so large the word didn't fully register close up as I was painting it and with an X having a similar construction to a Y ​the eye just didn't see the error.
    Last edited by astral276; 15th June 2019 at 08:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    They wouldn't have done that as I had left the X out. The only excuse I could evolve was that as the sign was so large the word didn't fully register close up as I was painting it and with an X having a similar construction to a Y ​the eye just didn't see the error.
    Sorry astral - I should have guessed. Working in capitals on a large scale is very difficult both to write and to read. With infants these days they do not teach caps until they are reasonably at home with lower case.

I remember the first time I visited Greece, many years ago now, I was fine except for reading easily the names above stores which were capitalised. Lower case was fine, but upper case only was "Hell on Wheels". I've seen many a head teacher come to grief with signs placed in the school hall especially when intended to impress a visiting inspector! (VBG)

Quote Originally Posted by cambrensis View Post
    ... With infants these days they do not teach caps until they are reasonably at home with lower case.

Of course not. They're not yet tall enough to reach upper case.
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Speaking of Greece.

There was a restaurant in the local mall that didn't stay open long. This was several years ago. The restaurant was called "A Taste of Greece".

In that same mall there was another business. They advertised 'proffessional' services on the store sign.

Quote Originally Posted by johnwash1 View Post
    Of course not. They're not yet tall enough to reach upper case.
    I should have seen that coming - and ducked! Hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by FirstGreenIsGold View Post
    They advertised 'proffessional' services on the store sign.
    One of my favourite hates and it is seen so often!!

Quote Originally Posted by FirstGreenIsGold View Post
    Speaking of Greece.

There was a restaurant in the local mall that didn't stay open long. This was several years ago. The restaurant was called "A Taste of Greece"..
    A few years ago, I noticed that there was a Greek restaurant advertising itself in a nearby town, so took myself off there "on spec". I sat down and looked at the menu. The English was, surprisingly, impeccable. At no point was I offered "lamp" or, worse still, "lump" for "lamb" but the Greek was decidedly "iffy". I was puzzled, until two waiters approached me chattering animatedly in - Turkish!

The restaurant was owned by and operated by Turks! Now, in my own town, we have two Turkish restaurants but no Greek ones. It doesn't really matter as the menu will be the same for either!

Thread Information