eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Lucky Heart Attack - mainly for MEN!

Stratford, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View billsstamps's Feedback (+31360)
    All-About billsstamps
    View billsstamps's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: My Lucky Heart Attack - mainly for MEN!

I had a funny turn at work 15 years ago, suspected heart attack, and A&E checked my blood and said my blood sugar was very high.
    15 years of being diabetic are kind of lucky because I eat healthily now, and my weight is lower.
    I am not afraid to get things checked, like I have an enlarged prostate, almost to be expected at age 72, but GP reviews every year (when they are open for seeing patients) and, if I don't take vitamin D I get very tired as I have a deficiency when blood is checked, again, not uncommon in older men.
    Rev Dr Bill Hopkinson,
    Retired professor

BillsStamps

around 50000 stamps listed, based in London

Must admit I'd forgotten about this thread, but I didn't forget about the PSA test. I asked the doctor if I'd had one, it turns out that at his surgery they are not automatic and only done if someone has symptoms OR IF THEY REQUEST ONE.

I did that and arranged it for last winter, when I'm not working. It came back OK, but as this was another consultation in the garden he didn't give me any numbers.

But as there seems to be no automatic testing when men get to a "certain age", I'd say it's something we should all get done (at least by the time we get to sixty and problems might be beginning to show-up)
    ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ----------

http://uk.ebid.net/users/theElench

Quote Originally Posted by theElench View Post
    ... as there seems to be no automatic testing when men get to a "certain age", I'd say it's something we should all get done (at least by the time we get to sixty and problems might be beginning to show-up)
    I was told by the hospital last Friday that as I still have an annual blood test re my heart, arranged autmatically by the surgery, that I should ask them to request PSA test at same time. Then they woud have the latest reading but that there would be no contact unless there were a problem.

Isn't it crazy though? They ring me every year to remind me to get my 'flu' vaccination...last year they added an anti-pneumonia vaccination. They must do this to thousands in the area....but no "get your PSA checked"!!

It is crazy when we have a NATIONAL Health Service. My surgery NEVER contacts me about 'flu jabs. All this year it has been "run out" of Pneumonia vacs. although I was contacted by letter to have one, (cancelled due to lock-down in March).

I'm the last person to think that local services should be made to comply with any sort of national standard, whether relevant or not, but with something that kills so many, should there not be a base-line of some sort?
    ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ----------

http://uk.ebid.net/users/theElench

I was also offered a 'flu' vaccination at my local pharmacy when I went to collect my medication! That was after I'd already received the vaccination at the surgery.

Stratford, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View billsstamps's Feedback (+31360)
    All-About billsstamps
    View billsstamps's Listings
    Forum Posts

My surgery rang me today to offer me the flu vaccine.
    I had to tell them that I had it done four weeks before at the pharmacy next door; they are so much more efficient and approachable.
    Rev Dr Bill Hopkinson,
    Retired professor

BillsStamps

around 50000 stamps listed, based in London

Thread Information