eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PayPal limiting accounts if you are selling stamps from Iran or North Korea?

Forum Newbie
    Bolton, Greater Manchester, United Kingdom
    View lesbubstuff's Feedback (+5459)
    All-About lesbubstuff
    View lesbubstuff's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default PayPal limiting accounts if you are selling stamps from Iran or North Korea?

PayPal limiting accounts if you are selling stamps from Iran or North Korea?

- PayPal have placed limitations on my PayPal account because I sold 4 Iran stamps to a guy in Australia via Ebid. Managed to get in touch via phone to a PayPal rep and he suggested I remove any stamps from Iran or North Korea from my listings on Ebid before further sanctions. I have complied and now have to prove to PayPal that I no longer sell to Iran or North Korea on Ebid...before further sanctions are made to my PayPal account????

I thought the US sanctions were placed on the Iran and North Korea - not on a guy living in Bolton UK?

I have been selling Iran and North Korea stamps since 2009

Below is the advice in an an email from PayPal Compliance Department

1. Remove PayPal as a payment option; or
    2. Segregate your checkout to disallow PayPal as a method of payment
    for any goods or services originating from Iran and North Korea, or
    3. Remove all goods or services originating from Iran and North Korea
    from your website.PayPal

item '1' remove PayPal???

item '2' segregate your checkout - no facility to do this specifically for Iran or North Korea in Ebid?

Item '3' already complied by removing 100+ listings from my Ebid site

Can someone from Ebid please advise me about this issue

Les
    Last edited by lesbubstuff; 13th March 2019 at 08:04 PM. Reason: further info

Default Re: PayPal limiting accounts if you are selling stamps from Iran or North Korea?

This is the Paypal banned list. https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mp...ited-countries

The subject has also been discussed before so you might find this thread useful.
    https://www.ebid.net/forums/showthre...=banned+stamps

View FBNeNotes's Feedback (+1108)
    All-About FBNeNotes
    View FBNeNotes's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: PayPal limiting accounts if you are selling stamps from Iran or North Korea?

Quote Originally Posted by FirstGreenIsGold View Post
    Thanks for the information.

I see that Cuba is not on the list anymore.
    Careful... that list has not been updated in over 2 Years(very sad)
    I would not try using PP for cuba anything,

Forum Master
    View tony41's Feedback (+10028)
    All-About tony41
    View tony41's Listings
    Forum Posts

I wish the European Union would take Paypal Europe to court about imposing US sanctions on non-US citizens.

Quote Originally Posted by FBNeNotes View Post
    Careful... that list has not been updated in over 2 Years(very sad)
    I would not try using PP for cuba anything,
    That's probably good advice. I'll leave Cuba on my banned list.

It seems so ridiculous to me that a person can't sell some old used stamp or circulated coin from one of these countries. But that's the way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by tony41 View Post
    I wish the European Union would take Paypal Europe to court about imposing US sanctions on non-US citizens.
    Quote Originally Posted by FirstGreenIsGold View Post
    It seems so ridiculous to me that a person can't sell some old used stamp or circulated coin from one of these countries. But that's the way it is.
    It isn't that they are imposing sanctions, it is simply that they have made the business decision to avoid having potentially questionable transactions on their books. If and when your item pops up on their radar, it is useless to argue - it is their company and they have every right to enforce their own policies. They do similar with CITES restricted items (it may be an ancient whale fossil, which is allowed to be sold under CITES, but I've still have had one of those pulled because of CITES bans on harvesting and selling whale parts) and other national and international bans. They'd generally rather lose you as a vendor rather than go through the expensive process of determining, item by item, whether or not your (or anyone's) particular sale could cause them trouble down the road. I cannot blame them: simply having a red flag raised or dealing with a report someone files consumes more time and money than is worth it to them (or you).

That said, some larger accounts are given significant leeway by PayPal and others. I assume that those vendors have gone through some sort of vetting process with internal policies and enforcement in place at a level that assures everyone that non-allowed items never are listed, while allowed items (such as antique Iranian rugs exported prior to a ban) can be sold freely using their payment platform. I doubt that many small sellers would be able to attain that level of assurance.

Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
    View bluebedouin's Feedback (+107)
    All-About bluebedouin
    View bluebedouin's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lesbubstuff View Post
    .....item '2' segregate your checkout - no facility to do this specifically for Iran or North Korea in Ebid?...
    You could have done it by removing paypal as a payment option for those particular stamps & replacing it with something else.Bank transfer perhaps?

Forum Newbie
    Bolton, Greater Manchester, United Kingdom
    View lesbubstuff's Feedback (+5459)
    All-About lesbubstuff
    View lesbubstuff's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thanks all - now re-listed all my stamps that are on the PayPal banned list - without PayPal payment option

Quote Originally Posted by lesbubstuff View Post
    Thanks all - now re-listed all my stamps that are on the PayPal banned list - without PayPal payment option
    May I suggest adding a little note to those particular listings explaining why there is no payment via PayPal for that particular item, just in case you get a stubborn buyer.
    Jason
    BigKidsAttic - Action Figure Adoption Agency (Fee's Appy), and supplier of collectible comics.

Thread Information