Thread: Page not found in Edge brownser

Forum Newbie
    Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
    View MJAUCTIONS's Feedback (+278)
    All-About MJAUCTIONS
    View MJAUCTIONS's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Page not found in Edge brownser

I always forget that Ebid is .net and not .co.uk, however I've noticed that Edge will not redirect and instead I get page not found. I then remember I should've put .net! The problem with this of course is how many potential Ebid users know to put Ebid.net in their address bar? I'm sure there can't be many people who would even consider using anything other than .co.uk So many potential new Ebid members (and buyers) must be lost because of this. Why is it .net? its like a secret club!

Default Re: Page not found in Edge brownser

When I typed "ebid.co.uk" into Edge just now, it correctly redirects me to https://www.ebid.net/uk/. Were you attempting to access a certain page, rather than just "ebid.co.uk"?

Unfortunately, if I type ebid.com (.com is the most common and most recognized domain suffix for commercial sites), I'm directed to the site of one of those companies which buys up domain names, redirects them to its own sales site, and holds the domain name hostage until someone with a legitimate use for the name pays them. Although this sort of extortion ("domain squatting") is banned by ICANN, it still continues with such companies relying on the fact that it is often less costly in time and money to pay them off than to fight them to release the domain name.
    Last edited by rocks2dust; 2nd February 2019 at 07:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rocks2dust View Post
    When I typed "ebid.co.uk" into Edge just now, it correctly redirects me to https://www.ebid.net/uk/. Were you attempting to access a certain page, rather than just "ebid.co.uk"?

Unfortunately, if I type ebid.com (.com is the most common and most recognized domain suffix for commercial sites), I'm directed to the site of one of those companies which buys up domain names, redirects them to its own sales site, and holds the domain name hostage until someone with a legitimate use for the name pays them. Although this sort of extortion ("domain squatting") is banned by ICANN, it still continues with such companies relying on the fact that it is often less costly in time and money to pay them off than to fight them to release the domain name.
    The squatter in question is especially evil because he won't even sell the domain, at any price. His offer is to rent it to ebid. And of course only a fool would accept such a deal.
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Forum Master
    View tony41's Feedback (+10028)
    All-About tony41
    View tony41's Listings
    Forum Posts

Most potential new members will come to eBid via a search engine, which gives the correct address, or from a recommendation so the situation is not as bad as might appear, especially as most browsers redirect. There appears to be nothing that the Ebid management can do about the situation given the intransigence of the domain squatter.
    eBid is not the only site which I use which has a .net address.

Quote Originally Posted by tony41 View Post
    Most potential new members will come to eBid via a search engine, which gives the correct address, or from a recommendation so the situation is not as bad as might appear, especially as most browsers redirect. There appears to be nothing that the Ebid management can do about the situation given the intransigence of the domain squatter.
    eBid is not the only site which I use which has a .net address.
    Yes, once upon a time, when the Internet was young and innocent, .net addresses could only be used by service providers and others concerned with Internet networking infrastructure. So, much like .gov and .ac addresses, the likes of you and me could not obtain one. But the rules were relaxed and they became as unrestricted as .com addresses.
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Thread Information