eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Very sad to read - Closure of St. Clare's Hospice ~ a past YDC featured charity

Default Re: Very sad to read - Closure of St. Clare's Hospice ~ a past YDC featured charity

Quote Originally Posted by moonwitch View Post
    Totally agree about the wastage . I've lost count of the times I've read of corruption related to charities overseas when that money could have been better spent here.

I'm happy to donate to charities that work overseas where the positive results can be seen so I'm not saying I have written off supporting fundraising to go outside of the UK
    Totally agree, there are plenty of good charities that do stirling work that need our help close to home.

Forum Saint
    View moonwitch's Feedback (+1616)
    All-About moonwitch
    View moonwitch's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Very sad to read - Closure of St. Clare's Hospice ~ a past YDC featured charity

Quote Originally Posted by olivia8143 View Post
    Ugh this attitude sickens me
    What is sickening about preferring to have money that is already being sent overseas via our government to be spent where there are lots of checks and responsible overseeing?

If that were happening then maybe people would be less inclined to complain so much about overseas aid and maybe less funds would be lost.

I also believe that charity begins at home but for me and millions of other people who support charities, it doesn't have to end there.

Forum Newbie
    All-About Tools4you
    View Tools4you's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    A perfect example of why I only support charities that work in the UK rather than having it wasted overseas.
    To be honest then UK charities have highest level corruption in EU. And over 750 registered charities give less than 50% away. There's one who I'm not gonna name and they give away massive 1%. Just thought of adding it in as I work with fee different charity's fairly close in Ireland and I'm burnt badly years back with UK ones. My own fault, should of done better research before signing company up.

I understand concerns about corruption in the charities. Lately we've only donated to charities in our town that we know are well run. The hospital thrift shop is run by volunteers and all money goes to equipment and medical services for local citizens. It's been around for 50 years. No matter who a person is in our town, they or a family member will benefit from this charity at some point in time. We also support the local food bank. I volunteered there for several years and know the woman who has run it for the past 15. It is well run and definitely needed. I supported many other charities over the years but have become more and more skeptical. Husband donated to and tried to work with a well known children's charity for a number of years and he really got his eyes opened up. Some charities are legit and some are corrupt and it's sometimes difficult to tell the difference.

Thornton Cleveleys, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View cheaver's Feedback (+1050)
    All-About cheaver
    View cheaver's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FirstGreenIsGold View Post
    ...........Some charities are legit and some are corrupt and it's sometimes difficult to tell the difference.
    Before committing to support a Charity I will research it via the Charity Commission website here in the UK - accounts are easily accessible to scrutinise and well worth the little time it takes.

http://apps.charitycommission.gov.uk...rHomePage.aspx

View JanetB's Feedback (+1175)
    All-About JanetB
    View JanetB's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    The madness is that we are signed up to spend 0.7% of our Gross National Income per year in overseas aid. We are obligated to spend that whatever. So the government has to go looking for ways to spend that 0.7% by year's end. That leads to wastage and putting money into schemes without proper checks on need and accountability.

I think a lot of charities have a bloody cheek asking us to dip into our pockets for even more to add to the pot.

Back in the days such charities dropped little envelopes through your door and were happy for any loose change. Now they want XX pounds per month on a direct debit.
    I remember those days Mel (in the UK), and our family always put a generous amount in them each year.

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cheaver View Post
    Before committing to support a Charity I will research it via the Charity Commission website here in the UK - accounts are easily accessible to scrutinise and well worth the little time it takes.

http://apps.charitycommission.gov.uk...rHomePage.aspx
    Thanks for that link. Very informative.

I'm pleased to see that the three main charities that I regularly support have high charitable spending percentages.

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

I support the idea that charity begins at home and spreads abroad. Also fiscal and administrative operations of a charity are of utmost importance.

That is why I am very pleased to support USA based Samaritans Purse. I have supported them in past YDC's, in my eBid Charity Store, and as a main personal charity.

The Charity Navigator places them at 98.23 overall rating, with a 4 star out of 4 star rating. They have a charity program spending percentage of 87.9% (average is about 70 percent).

They know how to take care of the needs of others here in the USA; but they do not stop there. They have strong ministry outreach all around the world.

I have had close up experiences with ministries who essentially look after themselves, and those who truly reach out in fiscally and administratively sound ways, and the latter was superior in every way.

Quote Originally Posted by burgyeb View Post
    That is why I am very pleased to support USA based Samaritans Purse. I have supported them in past YDC's, in my eBid Charity Store, and as a main personal charity.

The Charity Navigator places them at 98.23 overall rating, with a 4 star out of 4 star rating. They have a charity program spending percentage of 87.9% (average is about 70 percent).

They know how to take care of the needs of others here in the USA; but they do not stop there. They have strong ministry outreach all around the world.
    It seems to me that Samaritans Purse is behind Operation Christmas Child. Is that true? Operation Christmas Child is the shoebox program where communities gather small items in shoeboxes to be distributed to children in developing countries. In addition to giving the donated gifts the workers involved teach the children about the Christian religion and give out Bibles. I might not be be remembering this correctly, as I haven't read anything about Samaritans Purse for a long time.

Forum Saint
    View Anniemcc2's Feedback (+3934)
    All-About Anniemcc2
    View Anniemcc2's Listings
    Forum Posts

You are right Marie.

https://www.samaritans-purse.org.uk/...ristmas-child/

I read some time ago about the disquiet about how the Shoeboxes are used to promote religion

Thread Information