My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Best sellers?

Default Best sellers?

I know many sellers have a niche' and do well with a certain type of item, such as post cards, stamps, etc. I was wondering overall, what would be your top 3 items to sell here? I created the largest website in the world for buying and selling toy cars (The Toy Peddler) in the late 90's and recently sold it. I found a great niche' for people that wanted an alternative to the evil one. So what are your suggestions for selling here?

Default Re: Best sellers?

I do alright with pottery here, not vast amounts of sales but a steady trickle each month, I would always welcome more pottery sellers as more choice = more buyers coming to browse !

Quote Originally Posted by cornishmaid1961 View Post
    I do alright with pottery here, not vast amounts of sales but a steady trickle each month, I would always welcome more pottery sellers as more choice = more buyers coming to browse !
    I list mostly in Date Lined Glass > 1910-1939 Art Deco, there are about 200 listings (mostly my own) and I wholeheartedly agree with you. The Porcelain, Pottery and Glass category is made up of so many niches, all with small numbers of enthusiastic collectors. One of the big problems here is that most of the niches are under-populated, yet taken together the category already has a distinct presence on the site.

Like most sellers, I started here to get away from TOS but I just saw a thread re. importing FB from the craft and vintage site. The reason I didn't go there was because it's run by ex-TOS execs. and has the same ethos -- get the number of sellers up and then squeeze them for every penny in fees they will put up with. Disillusion will eventually set-in (perhaps it is already starting) and ebid would make a perfect alternative to the U.S giants IMO.

It's already part-way there. Whether it's stamps / postcards / comics that already do well here, or pottery and glass, many collectables are not high value individually. The low fees make ebid the perfect place to sell such collectables without over-pricing to cover high fees. If only there was enough choice to bring in the buyers, regularly, as a market-place it could thrive.

On TOS it's often said on their boards that they got as big as they have by being "THE place to go" for collectables. An area they are now allowing to die away, preferring to compete with the "big A" for sales of new items. I don't see the craft site as a better long-term alternative, I CAN see ebid filling that gap, if there is a willingness to try to make it happen.
    Last edited by theElench; 3rd January 2020 at 08:54 AM.
    ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ----------

http://uk.ebid.net/users/theElench

I agree with needing to bring in the buyers. I was affiliated with a very successful bid site early (if you coun't success by LOTS of sellers), but unfortunately nothing was selling. Sure their fees were low and they offered incentives, but it was a waste of time to list. I hope it doesn't turn out to be the same here. I realize that right now, with me only listing eyeglasses (lots of vintage) I am not in the right market place......yet, but with some work and advertising, maybe I can bring in some new buyers. I do plan on listing other things, as I have done well with vintage collectibles (I buy storage units at auction) and always end up with some interesting stuff.

Thread Information