Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: UK Courier delivery - Buyer's safe place & contact phone number when making payment

Forum Saint
    View Anniemcc2's Feedback (+3934)
    All-About Anniemcc2
    View Anniemcc2's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default UK Courier delivery - Buyer's safe place & contact phone number when making payment

Would it be possible when buyers opt for Courier delivery on BIN items that they are asked to nominate a safe place for delivery + a contact phone number when making payment to help make booking collections / deliveries easier for sellers.

Currently on eBid, the only way to get these details is to email the buyer, which does slow the dispatch process down somewhat.

I use myHermes quite a bit and it's always half way through filling in dispatch details that I realise that I haven't got safe place/tel. number details, so always add buyer's email so that they at least get tracking details.

Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View lofty100e's Feedback (+74)
    All-About lofty100e
    View lofty100e's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: UK Courier delivery - Buyer's safe place & contact phone number when making payme

Good ide in theory, if the courier bothers to read the script. The clown who delivered a package to me last Christmas did not, the alternative I gave was our neighbours who were in at the time. Instead the eejit decided that it might be a good idea to drop the thing (literally I guess) into the bin outside my house). Luckily I found out about it before the rubbish was collected the following day, and It was an unbreakable product. I am wondering what the insurance situation would have been, as the #~#~ deliberately put it in a refuse bin.
    To view my listings: click here: www.loftys-stores.com

To join eBid click this link: http://uk.ebid.net/buddy/253503

Default Re: UK Courier delivery - Buyer's safe place & contact phone number when making payme

I agree, it would be useful to have phone number and safe place info automatically.

Quote Originally Posted by lofty100e View Post
    Good ide in theory, if the courier bothers to read the script. The clown who delivered a package to me last Christmas did not, the alternative I gave was our neighbours who were in at the time. Instead the eejit decided that it might be a good idea to drop the thing (literally I guess) into the bin outside my house). Luckily I found out about it before the rubbish was collected the following day, and It was an unbreakable product. I am wondering what the insurance situation would have been, as the #~#~ deliberately put it in a refuse bin.
    Hermes are cheap. But I've had so much trouble with them I won't use them any more. Try P4D. Every P4D collection I've had has been on the day they said and has been delivered reliably.

As for your particular clown/eejit, perhaps he can't afford to eat and keep his brain functioning:

"GOVERNANCE CONCERNS have been raised at courier firm Hermes, after allegations were presented to the business minister about it paying less than the minimum wage.

A report by MP Frank Field including complaints from 78 drivers about their treatment and remuneration has been passed onto business minister Margot James. She has called on the taxman to look into Hermes’ affairs.

The complaints included claims that staff had been sacked while attending urgent medical appointments, and that its practice of taking on drivers as self-employed saw many of them affectively receive less than the minimum wage."

(quoted from www.financialdirector.co.uk)
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

All-About lofty100e
    Forum Posts

I have not really considered delivery agents such as p4d because from what I know of them it is not possible to get a consistent price from them. As far as I can make out they trawl providers to get the best deal TODAY (these can include limited special offers) - there is no way of knowing if that information will be correct at any time in the future. This makes it almost impossible to incorporate the carraige price in a listing. Whereas if you deal with a provider direct then they tell you when their tariffs change.

I have not really considered delivery agents such as p4d because from what I know of them it is not possible to get a consistent price from them. As far as I can make out they trawl providers to get the best deal TODAY (these can include limited special offers) - there is no way of knowing if that information will be correct at any time in the future. This makes it almost impossible to incorporate the carraige price in a listing. Whereas if you deal with a provider direct then they tell you when their tariffs change.
    Interesting, thanks. I've only used P4D a few times so far, but choosing Parcelforce 48 through them the price was consistent over a several month period and saved me a bit compared with going to PF direct. And the service compared with Hermes is like chalk and cheese. P4D actually answered contacts sensibly. Hermes give you 'live chat' with a chimpanzee who just parrots platitudes like "Be patient, the courier will arrive before 8pm!" (of course after 8pm there is absolutely no way you can contact Hermes). Be patient my a**, this is even after explaining to the chimp that I'd been given the same worthless assurances the previous two days.

Sorry, I'm not sure if one can say a chimp parrots. Getting my zoo metaphors in a muddle.

Frankly my heart goes out to the offshore people with the misfortune to have to work in such call centres. It must be so depressing to have to go to work day after day, knowing that there will be an avalanche of calls and there's absolutely nothing that the operative can do to help.

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

... This makes it almost impossible to incorporate the carraige price in a listing.
    My solution to that is that I would list the carriage price that ParcelForce would charge. Actually I often list things free post or subsidised, all that really matters to the buyer is the total amount.

All-About lofty100e
    Forum Posts

I have never looked at these sites that closely, but I guess that they present you with various options and leave you to choose which you take. What concerns me is the compensation schemes are they the same as the original suppliers or one supplied by the broker.

It would be pointless for me to quote the Royal Mail prices (the largest / heaviest items I can see me sending are books) so Parcel Force would not really figure as an option. RM's ludicrous over-pricing is the reason I looked at couriers, they are in some cases cheaper and also give a tracked service. Something you do not get with RM as I have found the "Signed For" option to be very hit and miss. (Have had instances where the thing has just been put through the door, with no signature from a resident. (This was before the online signatures, so could not check).

Also RM say that the recipient will sign for it, but in reality it is anyone in the building. When I worked in a small building they had the cleaner, security or receptionist sign for them. But in reality the person in reception could have been anyone at all even a visitor, when I have answered the door to delivery people at home they have never asked who I was for all they know I could be a very cocky burglar. So there is virtually no security

Also found the delivery man signing for it himself, I went to the door immediately the bell rang and saw him through the frosted glass squatted down writing something, then put something through the door which turned out to be the item not a card. I reported this to the sorting office and we never saw him again.

Thread Information