Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: category keword search box needed bad!

Forum Newbie
    All-About makingendsmeet
    View makingendsmeet's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default category keword search box needed bad!

i want to find my category immediately so I can post my item, but the dowpdown box you provide takes forever to sift through. you need a category search box like ebay has. It asks "what are you selling?" and narrows down the category listings for me.

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: category keword search box needed bad!

There already is one; it's on the Search tab of the first listing creation page: http://www.ebid.net/us/sell/

Alternatively, if you find a similar/same item listed on the site there is a Sell Here button at the top of the listing to open the Sell dialogue with the same category selected.
    Last edited by astral276; 21st March 2016 at 08:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by makingendsmeet View Post
    i want to find my category immediately so I can post my item, but the dowpdown box you provide takes forever to sift through. you need a category search box like ebay has. It asks "what are you selling?" and narrows down the category listings for me.
    I agree. For some base categories it can be extremely tedious, this has irritated me for years. Take Books+Comics+Magazines, for example. Suppose I want to list a magazine (I've been listing several just now, and came here to make the same suggestion as MakingEndsMeet). I have to scroll through about 3 million book categories that I know won't match my magazine. And then another 3 million Comics categories (ok, so 3 million may be an exaggeration, but I'm trying to convey what it feels like). And then within magazines there are whole rafts of sub-sub-categories within the sub-categories.

Mel, you and I have discussed before how saying "please consider doing it the way eBay does" may or may not be fruitful. This is one area where I do think, for all its faults, ebay HAS got it right. It would be such a boon if ebid did it this way, not to mention making the site that little bit more friendly for renegades from the other side.

It's possible I'm not making exactly the same suggestion as MakingEndsMeet. I'm talking about the situation where search isn't fruitful and one has to choose a category by drilling down through the options. Since I list rather esoteric things that's usually what I have to do, and that's not surprising. But the irksome part is that the drilling down is so clunky compared to what it could be.
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Poulton-le-fylde, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View Gill's Feedback (+517)
    All-About Gill
    View Gill's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by makingendsmeet View Post

The problem is that it isn't 'your' category OP, it's what eBid deems is the correct category for the item you're trying to list.

I have the same problem and my answer is to think about what a buyer would be searching for by using a keyword. Think of yourself as being a buyer. What would you type into a search engine?

Unfortunately you haven't any listings available to any country so I can't help any further.
    Gill (pronounced Jill) "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful" William Morris 1834 - 1896

Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    The problem is that it isn't 'your' category OP, it's what eBid deems is the correct category for the item you're trying to list.

I have the same problem and my answer is to think about what a buyer would be searching for by using a keyword. Think of yourself as being a buyer. What would you type into a search engine?

Unfortunately you haven't any listings available to any country so I can't help any further.
    I think you've missed the point. MakeEndsMeet said "...the dowpdown box you provide takes forever to sift through". That's the problem here. It's a really clunky user interface.
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Thread Information