eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $&!?#@% Starlings

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default $&!?#@% Starlings

Ever seen those impressive displays of Starling clouds when they are preparing to roost? Not so impressive when you live under them. The stuff they deposit makes you wonder what the hell they are eating. Currently having to wash the car and house windows every day to get rid of the stuff. House and driveway look like they have been pebbledashed.

Default Re: $&!?#@% Starlings

[QUOTE=astral276;1666643]Ever seen those impressive displays of Starling clouds when they are preparing to roost? Not so impressive when you live under them. The stuff they deposit makes you wonder what the hell they are eating. Currently having to wash the car and house windows every day to get rid of the stuff. House and driveway look like they have been pebbledashed.

We haven't had a starling in the garden for years, where once they would be down in their masses for the flying ants.
    Magpies are the bane of our lives here. They can strip an area of lawn in minutes. Our neighbour has had to reseed hers umpteen times.

We are favoured by whole flocks of goldfinches and many bluetits, greenfinches, chaffinches - the latter having increased greatly this year.

All-About astral276
    Forum Posts

Well boffins reckon starlings are on the decline. News for them, they are not - they are just all moving to around here. More and more each year.

Don't know why they are here as it's not rural, it's the middle of a town. They like the trees that were set around an industrial estate to reduce noise nuisance, and a crane on the industrial estate ends up looking like something out of Hitchcock's 'The Birds' at dusk each day.

I think they roost in towns for the warmth from the buildings.

We have colonies of rooks here also and we open the bedroom windows in order to hear them chattering on their way to the fields. Lovely bucolic sound

But starlings? Nope - they obviously prefer your neck of the woods

The last time I saw a display like that was about three years ago over Swindon railway station, it was quite impressive. I can't say I've seen any in the Bath area.

I was really pleased to see a thrush feeding at my bird table two days ago as I haven't seen one of those for several years.

All-About astral276
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cornishmaid1961 View Post

I was really pleased to see a thrush feeding at my bird table two days ago as I haven't seen one of those for several years.
    Likewise, I haven't seen a thrush in the garden in years. Last one got into the kitchen and panicked. I managed to shepherd it out but I never saw it again or one since. A lot of garden birds that were common seem to have vanished. Large swathes of what was good habitat (particularly to the rear of my house) have now been built on and trees all removed - which has likely driven a lot away.

All their is here are giant seagulls, pigeons and two resident doves, next door feed the birds and our car in covered in poo.

All-About astral276
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by buttons-and-bows View Post
    All their is here are giant seagulls, pigeons and two resident doves, next door feed the birds and our car in covered in poo.
    Had a seagull in the garden a few years ago that some cretin had shot with an air rifle. I took it to a local bird sanctuary (RSPCA were useless and not interested in helping at all). The point I'm coming to... I was amazed how beautiful it was so close up. Sadly, I don't know if it survived.

They are beautiful, they sit on our shed roof staring at us. and yes i know a few people here that shoot them, not very nice. I also found the RSPCA useless with seagulls as we rescued a few that the stupid holidaymakers feed with with chips and bread, i have also hand fed one and it was very gentle taking the food but some of them will dive bomb you to grab food, people should learn not to eat walking round the streets eating a pie as they don't have it long.And stay away from their young at any price or you will get ripped to shreds.
    The RSPCA were here like a shot when one of the baby doves got injured though.

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    Likewise, I haven't seen a thrush in the garden in years. Last one got into the kitchen and panicked. I managed to shepherd it out but I never saw it again or one since. A lot of garden birds that were common seem to have vanished. Large swathes of what was good habitat (particularly to the rear of my house) have now been built on and trees all removed - which has likely driven a lot away.
    Same down here. The council seems to remove as many trees and hedges as possible to cut costs. Where I live, close to an ever expanding shopping centre / business park they destroyed an area of impeneterable scrub and trees, the last remaining bit of real woodland in Thanet. Since then the starlings have all gone and so have most of the sparrows. It's the destruction of the dense cover they need to find food, build nests and shelter from bad weather in that is causing so many of the small 'garden' birds to disappear.

Before allowing the destruction the council had to do an environmental impact assessment. When I read the report it was obvious that they stood on the edge with binoculars and as they couldn't see any mature Oak, Beech or other protected trees declared the whole area "valueless". A complete farce. They don't even bother to make the developers plant boundaries and "green" areas with indidgenous plants but let them get away with planting low maintenance exotics of no value to birds at all.

Despite all the propaganda the council spouts about reducing the environmental impact of development they actually do very little or nothing at all to protect it.
    ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ----------

http://uk.ebid.net/users/theElench

Thread Information