Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 16 of 41 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Goin' On - In My Garden!

Default Re: What's Goin' On - In My Garden!

Like your new "plant sauna"!! I have 2 made like that but are not walk-in. Got them 3-4 years ago and haven't set them up yet, but I've got them when I need them! LOL!!!

The croton comes in the house, along with the rest of my tropicals when the nights get down to 50 degrees, and it is fully loaded with leaves. They drop off soon after - crazy plant!

I came close to having something "Going on in my Garden" the other day but she kindly stayed on the other side of the road. You can see the tops of my Blazing Stars and the satellite receiver (also planted in the garden!). On the other side of the trees is another creek and I'm thinking she had a fawn stashed down there.

Name:  100_3437 (640x480).jpg
Views: 86
Size:  265.9 KB

Forum Saint
    View Oldandintheway's Feedback (+385)
    All-About Oldandintheway
    View Oldandintheway's Listings
    Forum Posts

Awh how cute - BUT I bet one of those could do a lot of damage in the garden if it wanted to
    Fortunately, it looks like it has enough food, shelter & cover over the road to worry your plants (hopefully)
    We have wild red deer in the area here, that were released into the bush when a commercial farm went bust, & have bred up into almost plague proportions.
    The locals hunt them. Luckily they don't come too close into the burbs & town area!

Quote Originally Posted by Tropical_Trish View Post
    Trish, what do you call this kind of flower? Every place I've lived has a different name for them and I'm curious

Old - this is the first deer to ever get this close - they usually stay in the field across the road on the other side of the creek but I imagine since my Rottie is gone from out front that she was feeling brave. She was on "high alert" and I had to take pics from inside the house. When I did creep out the front door, she raised her head and looked about to bolt but I froze and hid on the porch. LOL!!

Here's what I've been doing in the yard lately: Before and After shots after 2 days work. I thought I was done but ended up putting in another day and a half cutting/sawing and doubled the debris piles. Took a whole day to burn most of the debris - could have finished but it started a downpour and put the fire out just as I got down to the last of it

Name:  Collage_Fotor_Fotor (640x640).jpg
Views: 76
Size:  450.1 KB

Forum Saint
    All-About Oldandintheway
    Forum Posts

Great job on the cleanup Shesawaya - it's looking much better.

I had a minor drama yesterday when the new "sauna" plant house blew over & smashed that pot & orchid
    Have replaced the pot & re-potted the salvaged plant. Next job is to bolt that shade house to the concrete.
    I've relocated the orchid.

Bought another orchid (from that unmentionable place, sadly) which should arrive by the end of the week.
    It is a species native to Brazil that I've been after for some time. This is an adult flowering size potted specimen, & below is a pic of the mother plant from this grower.
    Cattleya forbesii

Thanks! I agree it does look much better - more like the way I used to keep it all the time before I got sidetracked for a couple of years due to a tornado, ice storm, a couple of floods and health issues. When you can't stay on top of things, it doesn't take long to get out of control - LOL!!!

Poor orchid!! I hope no permanent damage was done by the hot house! (Makes note to self - stake down the hot houses if used outside!)

I love the color of the new orchid that is on it's way! I almost bought some orchids last week when I went out of town with a friend. They were full of blooms and just gorgeous and FAKE! I was going to get them anyway and post pics for you then I thought "I've got enough stuff around here, what do I need with 2 fake orchids just for playing a joke?" LOL!!!

Got a few weeds pulled last night between rains but that's about it. Shouldn't complain because we need the rain, just can't work outside and can't be listing because heavy rain means no satellite signal

Forum Saint
    All-About Oldandintheway
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shesawaya38485 View Post
    Thanks! I agree it does look much better - more like the way I used to keep it all the time before I got sidetracked for a couple of years due to a tornado, ice storm, a couple of floods and health issues. When you can't stay on top of things, it doesn't take long to get out of control - LOL!!!

Poor orchid!! I hope no permanent damage was done by the hot house! (Makes note to self - stake down the hot houses if used outside!)

I love the color of the new orchid that is on it's way! I almost bought some orchids last week when I went out of town with a friend. They were full of blooms and just gorgeous and FAKE! I was going to get them anyway and post pics for you then I thought "I've got enough stuff around here, what do I need with 2 fake orchids just for playing a joke?" LOL!!!

Got a few weeds pulled last night between rains but that's about it. Shouldn't complain because we need the rain, just can't work outside and can't be listing because heavy rain means no satellite signal
    No major damage to the plant luckily, they're pretty tough really!
    Trouble with those fake flowers is - they are very good dust catchers
    Shade sauna gets bolted down today & my new orchid will be delivered today also!

Forum Saint
    All-About Oldandintheway
    Forum Posts

OMG - had a major problem!

Well I put 6 of what I thought were my most heat & humidity loving orchids in the new shade sauna for a day & a half - the next time I looked, they were ALL almost baked to death! I'm praying I can get them to recover after putting them back in their original places. Don't know what the temp got up to in there, but it must be high!
    This could have turned out to be an expensive mistake Now I'm thinking all I'll be able to grow in the thing are desert cactus's (or is that cacti)?
    I did have the door zipped right up, so there wasn't any air circulation either (my bad) It looks as though the door will have to be open thru the day & only buttoned up at night - if I use it at all.
    Ya learn something every day - and it usually costs money!

Forum Saint
    All-About Oldandintheway
    Forum Posts

SO - thought I'd do a little experiment with temps in the shade sauna! (see above)
    Remember, we are only just coming out of our winter & nearing the spring season. (we had a warm winter)
    Here are the results:

Day 1. Closed up "sauna" = ambient max day temp of 22c (71.6F) in the "sauna" = 48c (118.4F)
    Day 2. Open door " = " " 24c (75.2F) " " 37c (98.6F)

No wonder the plants fried

Now I'm searching for plants that can grow & thrive on the surface of the Sun!
    I can't imagine what the temps will be in our summer - probably melt the plastic cover!

Forum Saint
    Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey, United Kingdom
    View meebo1's Feedback (+7886)
    All-About meebo1
    View meebo1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Have the roasted plants recovered?

Forum Saint
    All-About Oldandintheway
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by meebo1 View Post
    Have the roasted plants recovered?

It's going to be a long haul meebs!
    I think they will recover eventually, but Orchids don't do anything in a hurry.
    I'll put some pix up of the damage when I get the chance.
    I've come to the conclusion that this contraption is only meant for cooler climes - say Antarctica!

Thread Information