eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone have any adivce (personal matter)

Forum Saint
    View Oldandintheway's Feedback (+385)
    All-About Oldandintheway
    View Oldandintheway's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Does anyone have any adivce (personal matter)

Some university law departments may take on cases free of charge?
    I know some down here do for their students, as a prac. exercise.
    Search for pro bono lawyers?

For a pro bono lawyer you still need a referral but this can be from the citizens advice bureau or law centre, get an appointment and ask them to refer your MIL.

I posted this on another thread and can't figure out how to move it so reposting.

how much would a lawyer cost Shezz.
    The other thing is demand that he shows proof he was out of the country, like ticked stubs, passport, hotel reservation. Other than that I don't know what to suggest, i was under the impression if they didn't turn up you had won.
    Nasty money grabbing people taking money off OAP

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Does anyone have any advice (personal matter)

Quote Originally Posted by asktricia View Post
    Check out the law centre for your area as unfortunately some of the law centres only take on cases from a referral.

I think that bluebedouin's suggestion "Don't Get Done Get Dom" (Dominic Littlewood) from the BBC would be worth looking into.

Good luck
    Publicity certainly wouldn't hurt. Do you know of anyone in the media business who might take this up in the papers, etc.? Making it public could look very bad for the money grubber.

University law also sounds like a great idea, there were students at NYU who used to do pro bono cases for practice, (this was years ago when I lived in NY, but they probably still do). I'd check and see if there's a univ. law school in your area.

Best wishes for many sales to all,

View shezz's Feedback (+360)
    All-About shezz
    View shezz's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thank you all am reading replies I would love to go down blue's route and get dom involved but my MIL is still so upset and really she is trying to keep this away from her daughter as she knows nothing that is going on (she had an aneurysim last year and her mum dont what her to have this to worry about) so is not sure aout making it public (as yet) I have told her that she should know as it will get out sooner or later from other members of family that know so will be working on that, but think we need to get this first case sorted out before we can make the other public about how he has done her out of all this money praying on a widow, Lyn (buttons) MIL only gets a state pension, and unless its a fixed amount (which is normally done for things like wills) they charge by the hour so deffo on a pension she unable to afford it.

still looking into this and how or what way to go just want to say thank you for links and advice
    Life is serious but taking it too seriously robs you of
    happiness, fun and productivity

cant you or someone else speak for her, get a doctors letter saying she gets confused with stuff., Go and get 1/2 hours free legal advice first.

All-About shezz
    View shezz's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by buttons-and-bows View Post
    cant you or someone else speak for her, get a doctors letter saying she gets confused with stuff., Go and get 1/2 hours free legal advice first.
    Hi Lin

I can sit with her (Mckenzie law) and advise her but cant talk for her, and that is when she thinks of asking me, did go to a solicitor for half hour, but he was no help as he did'nt deal in that sort of thing so only gave us vague info, trying to get half hour with a solicitor who deals in this is very hit and miss I am going to suggest this tho

Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
    View bluebedouin's Feedback (+107)
    All-About bluebedouin
    View bluebedouin's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shezz View Post

I can sit with her (Mckenzie law) and advise her but cant talk for her,.......
    Had to look this up as never heard of it before.It seems you might be able to speak for her.

" in exceptional circumstances, a judge may grant a McKenzie Friend what is termed “rights of audience” in a particular case. The McKenzie Friend would then be allowed to address the court and conduct the litigant’s case for him."
    Source

All-About shezz
    View shezz's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bluebedouin View Post
    Had to look this up as never heard of it before.It seems you might be able to speak for her.

" in exceptional circumstances, a judge may grant a McKenzie Friend what is termed “rights of audience” in a particular case. The McKenzie Friend would then be allowed to address the court and conduct the litigant’s case for him."
    Source

Thank you Blue I was told I can sit with her, take notes for her, and talk to her but I was not able to talk for her, will look into that more thank you, wonder if when we send the papers back we can ask for me to be a McKenzie Friend

Before wasting a lot of time and effort on this, was there any indication from the Court about whether there would need to be a further Hearing for the first case or will the Court reach a decision based upon the additional submissions asked for? If there is no need for a further Hearing, then is there any need for you to be looking for further legal representation for the first case?

Regarding the second case, there is a park operator with many sites across the UK which has a notoriety for its bad conduct with caravan owners. If the second case is connected with that operator, it might be worth your while spending time on the internet researching other legal proceedings against the operator by other caravan owners as this might give you some ideas on how best to proceed. You might even be able to make contact with some of the caravan owners who have been successful in Court against this operator. If appropriate, you could also consider reporting the matter to the police via the actionfraud website at www.actionfraud.police.uk .

Thread Information