Thread: Deciding the Winner of the YDC Auctions

Manchester, Greater Manchester, United Kingdom
    View brian64's Feedback (+125)
    All-About brian64
    View brian64's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Deciding the Winner of the YDC Auctions

Quote Originally Posted by hurryb4itsgone View Post
    No auction that "makes it obvious that it is a YDC auction and where the money will go" is disqualified from YDC. Although, the criteria to enter the competition component has not been met. If a person wants their item/auction to be considered a competition entry, the listing needs to indicate their intention. Perhaps this is one of those things that is different in the US than the UK. In the US, you have to enter into a competition, not out of it.

As I understand it, the OO in the title was suggested to help lessen the load of reviewing so many listings. At this point, I think we have moved passed that.

This is the selfish response - If there is a master thread of YDC competition participants, then I would have to check this list in addition to checking each YDC listing - more work for me.

This is the general response - Do we think people would be more likely to keep up to date with a forum list than they would be to update their listing description?
    I have been a bit confused with it all so is my understanding correct that all listings will still qualify to win the competition even if they haven't entered all the wording correctly in the item description so long as it is obvious it is a YDC entry ie it has the YDC nn in the title and a name of the charity is in the description.
    Also has the idea to add OO in the title if you don't want to enter into the competition being dropped as it could add to confusion and you wouldn't be as much help as first thought because you would still have to open and read every listing anyway.

All-About brian64
    View brian64's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    IMO hurry close this thread and take stock of what has been said.

You will never please all of the people all of the time BUT you are the administrator and, as I have said before, it should be up to you regarding the rules and not the members that list.

YDC has been going for years and its time that the new blood (you) implemented what they see fit. Unfortunately you will also get the flack of the intransigents but, if they believe in charity, as they have done for the past xx years, they will change to your rules and be happy to do so.

I for one would be happy to list in charity auctions again but I would want to see more international charities winning and not just the UK but I do believe this may have something to do with postage as I have said before.
    I agree it would be nice to have more international winners and postage costs is probably part of the problem although i have seen quite a few international listings offer free postage on YDC listings already not really sure what can be done about it.

View hitw73's Feedback (+43)
    All-About hitw73
    View hitw73's Listings
    Forum Posts

I watched with interest this thread imo. much to do about nothing. if folks wish to compete so be it, a simple ydc-131 [a] for in [b] for out in listing. as said by gill, posting to all of ebid would make a big difference or at least give overseas buyer,s a chance to email for cost to buy item. ok by me what ever you do hurry just keep the good times rolling ydc rocks
    hitw73 cards downunder & collectables supports Y D C

All-About brian64
    View brian64's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hitw73 View Post
    I watched with interest this thread imo. much to do about nothing. if folks wish to compete so be it, a simple ydc-131 [a] for in [b] for out in listing. as said by gill, posting to all of ebid would make a big difference or at least give overseas buyer,s a chance to email for cost to buy item. ok by me what ever you do hurry just keep the good times rolling ydc rocks
    I offer overseas postage to most of my listings i am in the process of editing my postage as rates for some have gone down.I offer free postage to oversaeas in my YDC auctions i don't mind paying the postage out of my own pocket for the YDC as it encourages more bids and raises more funds for charity but not all sellers can afford to offer free postage but i agree overseas buyers should be given the option to pay for postage if they want.
    I was under the impression international buyers could only see a uk auction if it offered overseas postage if that is the case then the buyer wouldn't see the auction so wouldn't be in a position to request postage perhaps someone with more knowledge than me could say if this is the case or not i am not certain.

View sherlock07's Feedback (+301)
    All-About sherlock07
    View sherlock07's Listings
    Forum Posts

Just a thought here, digressing slightly.

Now that the ebid API is available, could some bright person write something using the API to look through the YDC auctions and find the winner, perhaps listing all the ones that are potential winners so that hurry can just give them a final look over to ensure they are correct.

Sherlock's Watches Store ~ Great Watches for the Family
    Sherlock's Bazaar
    ~ General Store

Quote Originally Posted by raindropsies View Post
    Fair enough.
    I take your point on board
    To enter into a competition, they must state this. Fair enough.

My opinion is still that I entered the YDC130 competition as well as a lot of others, but I am getting the feeling that because some of us did not state the exact phrase, withdrew us from the competition element.

Even though I didn't win the YDC130, I wish Cheaver the best of luck for YDC131

I am thinking however that the spirit of YDC should be a higher priority in someone winning than using an exact phrase. My view will not change on that.

If the exact phrase is a compulsory rule to enter the competition, then there was no winner (other than the charities) of YDC130 from the auctions I looked at as the entries were either incomplete or incorrect usage of similar words

I understand that you do need to determine an outcome regards the wording and what is deemed as acceptable and wish you the best of luck in doing this, and once this has been decided I look forward to taking part in the YDC as a seller again.
    Thank you for sharing your opinion regarding this matter. Let us agree to disagree on the definition of "spirit" of YDC.

Since, during YDC 129 and YDC 130 I was quite new to this position, I pretty much sat back and let things run as they had run in the past. As we have each pointed out in our previous posts, the current rules have not been consistently enforced. It is my hope that this will not continue to be the case. No doubt there is a reason for each rule that is in place. Unless they are changed, I do expect to follow them to the best of my ability. My nature is such that I try not to assume other people's intentions and I have never been very good at reading minds.

From my perspective, there really is nothing to decide. It has been decided. It is only a matter of implementation.

Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    IMO hurry close this thread and take stock of what has been said.

You will never please all of the people all of the time BUT you are the administrator and, as I have said before, it should be up to you regarding the rules and not the members that list.

YDC has been going for years and its time that the new blood (you) implemented what they see fit. Unfortunately you will also get the flack of the intransigents but, if they believe in charity, as they have done for the past xx years, they will change to your rules and be happy to do so.

I for one would be happy to list in charity auctions again but I would want to see more international charities winning and not just the UK but I do believe this may have something to do with postage as I have said before.
    Thank you for sharing your opinion regarding this matter. It was never my intent to "please all the people". It is my intent to create a level playing field for every person who wishes to list a YDC auction.

Let us agree to disagree on the reason more international charities have not won. If you really feel this way, you could always bid on those items listed by people that you think would nominate an international charity to help them win the competition. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by brian64 View Post
    I agree it would be nice to have more international winners and postage costs is probably part of the problem although i have seen quite a few international listings offer free postage on YDC listings already not really sure what can be done about it.
    In addition to my response to Gill on this subject, I would also add that very few international charities touch people's lives in the same way as local charities.

I have been a bit confused with it all so is my understanding correct that all listings will still qualify to win the competition even if they haven't entered all the wording correctly in the item description so long as it is obvious it is a YDC entry ie it has the YDC nn in the title and a name of the charity is in the description.
    Also has the idea to add OO in the title if you don't want to enter into the competition being dropped as it could add to confusion and you wouldn't be as much help as first thought because you would still have to open and read every listing anyway.
    Short answers - no, yes.

All listings will qualify to win the competition if they enter the competition. The mechanism to enter the competition is for your listing to follow all the rules in
    Part One and Part Two of the rules.

OO added to the title is a nice thought. Based on the point brought up by Vonz, I will not be making any "official" request.

Quote Originally Posted by hitw73 View Post
    LOL ... I think we have the same sense of humor!

As you say, "if folks wish to compete, so be it." Not quite a simple a for in and b for out, but almost.

Brian has addressed your overseas buyer comment, so I won't repeat.

And thanks ... trying to do my best.

I offer overseas postage to most of my listings i am in the process of editing my postage as rates for some have gone down.I offer free postage to oversaeas in my YDC auctions i don't mind paying the postage out of my own pocket for the YDC as it encourages more bids and raises more funds for charity but not all sellers can afford to offer free postage but i agree overseas buyers should be given the option to pay for postage if they want.
    I was under the impression international buyers could only see a uk auction if it offered overseas postage if that is the case then the buyer wouldn't see the auction so wouldn't be in a position to request postage perhaps someone with more knowledge than me could say if this is the case or not i am not certain.
    That's pretty true. We do have access to view the listings from other countries, if we go into that site. If I change US to UK on address line, I can see all listings available to the UK. I can't buy them, but I can see them.

Quote Originally Posted by sherlock07 View Post
    Just a thought here, digressing slightly.

Now that the ebid API is available, could some bright person write something using the API to look through the YDC auctions and find the winner, perhaps listing all the ones that are potential winners so that hurry can just give them a final look over to ensure they are correct.
    How thoughtful! I really know very little about how an API works, but if it could check that each component needed was in a listing that would be a wonderful thing.

Thank you for sharing your opinion regarding this matter. Let us agree to disagree on the definition of "spirit" of YDC.
    Fair enough

Since, during YDC 129 and YDC 130 I was quite new to this position, I pretty much sat back and let things run as they had run in the past. As we have each pointed out in our previous posts, the current rules have not been consistently enforced. It is my hope that this will not continue to be the case. No doubt there is a reason for each rule that is in place. Unless they are changed, I do expect to follow them to the best of my ability. My nature is such that I try not to assume other people's intentions and I have never been very good at reading minds.

From my perspective, there really is nothing to decide. It has been decided. It is only a matter of implementation.

Great, that seems to have resolved the opening question that you posted.

Can you confirm just 2 things for me please

What the exact phrase should be, as I have never seen the rule change stating that the word competition needs to be in it, all I have seen is the wording "this is an entry into YDCxx and all monies raised will go to xyz" for it to qualify (in addition to the other rules)

When will the full enforcement begin?

All-About brian64
    View brian64's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by raindropsies View Post
    Fair enough

Great, that seems to have resolved the opening question that you posted.

Can you confirm just 2 things for me please

What the exact phrase should be, as I have never seen the rule change stating that the word competition needs to be in it, all I have seen is the wording "this is an entry into YDCxx and all monies raised will go to xyz" for it to qualify (in addition to the other rules)

When will the full enforcement begin?
    I never took much notice of the exact words myself but in Part two: Rules for the competition.

Section 7

1. Your auction(s) must be for a charity or good cause and the description of your item must include the following text:
      This auction is an entry in the YDC nn charity auction competition. All money raised by this auction will go to: charity name.

I never took much notice of the exact words myself but in Part two: Rules for the competition.

Section 7

1. Your auction(s) must be for a charity or good cause and the description of your item must include the following text:
      This auction is an entry in the YDC nn charity auction competition. All money raised by this auction will go to: charity name.

I am asking for when the word competition was added as a rule change / alteration and a link to the rule change / alteration.

Yes the word competition may have been added at some point, and I am more than willing to be corrected, but I don't recall this has ever been added officially by any YDC organiser after a discussion about adding the word

So far, I have found that the word competition was added after YDC72
    http://www.ebid.net/forums/showthrea...2-Announcement

But before YDC99

edit*

I have found when this word was added
    It was the first YDC that Vonz organised which was YDC79

As this is the YDC78 announcement which I did on 20th June 2010 http://www.ebid.net/forums/showthrea...ncement-Thread
    This is the YDC79 announcement thread which Vonz did (now called Armstrongs) on 17th July 2010 http://www.ebid.net/forums/showthrea...rize-Draw-News!
    Last edited by raindropsies; 31st March 2015 at 03:19 PM.

Thread Information