My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Engine oil

Default Engine oil

There is no category for engine oil (unless I have missed it 3 times)

Cars & Vehicles > Cars & Truck Parts > Engines & Components > Engine Oil

View bunsock's Feedback (+14461)
    All-About bunsock
    View bunsock's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Engine oil

I would suggest a new category should be Cars & Vehicles > Cars & Truck Parts > Lubricants so that all oils and greases are together.

Quote Originally Posted by bunsock View Post
    I would suggest a new category should be Cars & Vehicles > Cars & Truck Parts > Lubricants so that all oils and greases are together.
    Sounds good to me

Forum Diehard
    Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View cerealmunkee's Feedback (+1334)
    All-About cerealmunkee
    View cerealmunkee's Listings
    Forum Posts

whether there's a category for engine oil would hardly be relevant....after all..... any potential buyer looking for this will enter the appropriate keyword and its via this that the listing will appear.....d'you really believe that anyone comes to this site and tracks down the category and views listings in this way?.....no....they find listing by way of keywords not trawling categories.....i thought that this was common knowledge.

Ebid can create as many little fragmented sub categories as you all request and it will change nothing, insofar as it will not draw in any more buyers or more importantly at the moment more sellers to the site....neither will it assist in making the site easier to navigate.....its straightforward enough already.....eg.......simply type the required item description into the search box and from there the available listings will be shown.

Quote Originally Posted by cerealmunkee View Post
    whether there's a category for engine oil would hardly be relevant....after all..... any potential buyer looking for this will enter the appropriate keyword and its via this that the listing will appear.....d'you really believe that anyone comes to this site and tracks down the category and views listings in this way?.....no....they find listing by way of keywords not trawling categories.....i thought that this was common knowledge.

Ebid can create as many little fragmented sub categories as you all request and it will change nothing, insofar as it will not draw in any more buyers or more importantly at the moment more sellers to the site....neither will it assist in making the site easier to navigate.....its straightforward enough already.....eg.......simply type the required item description into the search box and from there the available listings will be shown.
    I understand what you say, I agree in part, but believe that items need to be listed in the correct category, otherwise what is the point in having categories at all

Forum Diehard
    All-About cerealmunkee
    Forum Posts

Within the existing categories there are always those that will be suitable for almost any listing. Ebid as a site is not well enough populated by the right sellers who could even make such additional categories worthwhile and i doubt if those who manage the site feel the need to micro manage every aspect of it to such a degree....again ...i need to point out that buyers or at least potential ones will seek listings out by way of their written description....after all this is the method employed when searching via Google and the same applies to an Ebid search.

If certain categories exist then there's no harm in placing listings into the correct ones....but as far as this site is concerned its hardly going to be a major deal breaker ....is it?....i see no use in creating categories for the many products that are unlikely to be listed here when the time could be used to better effect.

All-About bunsock
    View bunsock's Listings
    Forum Posts

I found 24 auctions for oil scattered amongst various sub-categories. It would seem much more sensible to have a sub-cat for lubricants. You only find a few of these if you search for "engine oil".

Forum Diehard
    All-About cerealmunkee
    Forum Posts

Yes...but, to complicate matters not all lubricants are actually engine oil...anyone who was interested in selling lubricants or indeed engine oil for that matter would understand that they are not necessarily the same thing and again here it is keywords that matter ....not a category that the listing is dropped into.

All-About bunsock
    View bunsock's Listings
    Forum Posts

Sorry, I disagree. If the only way to find items is using search there is little point in having categories. I suggested lubricants to cover engine oils, gearbox oils, transmission fluids, greases etc rather than generating a sub-cat for each. Anybody buying engine oil would not only need to understand the different types of oil but its grade etc as you must always get the correct grade AND specification for your particular vehicle.

The problem at the moment is there is no suitable sub-cat other than "other" to list lubricants.

Administrator
    Ebid Administrator., Greater London, United Kingdom
    View eBid_Andy's Feedback (+46)
    All-About eBid_Andy
    View eBid_Andy's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi,

You are correct, several sub categories are required here.

We have added the following (pending server update):

Cars & Vehicles : Cars & Trucks Parts & Accessories : Oils, Fluids & Lubricants

Sub categories added under this category:

Cars & Vehicles : Cars & Trucks Parts & Accessories : Oils, Fluids & Lubricants : Engine Oils
    Cars & Vehicles : Cars & Trucks Parts & Accessories : Oils, Fluids & Lubricants : Cleaners & Degreasers
    Cars & Vehicles : Cars & Trucks Parts & Accessories : Oils, Fluids & Lubricants : Brake Fluids
    Cars & Vehicles : Cars & Trucks Parts & Accessories : Oils, Fluids & Lubricants : Fuel Additives
    Cars & Vehicles : Cars & Trucks Parts & Accessories : Oils, Fluids & Lubricants : Gear/Differential Oils
    Cars & Vehicles : Cars & Trucks Parts & Accessories : Oils, Fluids & Lubricants : Antifreeze
    Cars & Vehicles : Cars & Trucks Parts & Accessories : Oils, Fluids & Lubricants : Other

Thread Information