Virgin Media

suesjools = IE

Poscar = SKY

tony41 = Windows7, Firefox
    Plusnet

sucadot = Linux Mint 17 with Firefox 35
    ISP Talktalk

Seems to be Firefox specific.

1) Is it the "New Listing" confirmation page or "Edit Listing" confirmation page or both?

2) Can you let me know if it happens with brand new images AND/OR previously uploaded images. eg. are the images uploaded from your hard drive/internet or called from images already in your "My Gallery" area.

3) Check with FF Safe Mode https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...x-in-safe-mode
    eBid.net
    Free to Bid | Free to List | Free to Enjoy
    GBP and USD Affiliate Program Re-Launched .. Promote eBid and earn
    Got a problem? Record it for us using http://screencast-o-matic.com/

Thornton Cleveleys, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View cheaver's Feedback (+1050)
    All-About cheaver
    View cheaver's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Missing Pinterest Button?

Quote Originally Posted by gazza View Post
    Seems to be Firefox specific.

1) Is it the "New Listing" confirmation page or "Edit Listing" confirmation page or both?

2) Can you let me know if it happens with brand new images AND/OR previously uploaded images. eg. are the images uploaded from your hard drive/internet or called from images already in your "My Gallery" area.

3) Check with FF Safe Mode https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...x-in-safe-mode
    1) Both.

2) My Gallery.
    See test listings I have done:
    136349634 and 1363496203)

3)sherlock07 has already done this:

sherlock07 = firefox 34 with windows Vista
    ISP Virgin Media
    Tried FF34 in safe mode = no change
    tried FF 35 beta = no change
    tried FF 35 in safe mode = no change
    Cleared cache = no change

Shutting down now & going home & will see there if I still have this issue or not on my Tower.

All-About cheaver
    View cheaver's Listings
    Forum Posts

Shutting down now & going home & will see there if I still have this issue or not on my Tower.
    .[/QUOTE]

I'm back at home now with the same Tower which had no problem (ie it HAD the Pinterest Button) in less than an hour ago.

There is NO Pinterest button! I have just edited a listing and the P Button does not show...

Name:  Edit 17.1.15 12.39pm Tower.png
Views: 55
Size:  21.5 KB

Now going to change the router for another one & see if I get the same result....

NB: My laptop works fine with this router (same OS & Firefox browser etc) - I have never had a Pinterest problem with it.... also note: the Tower USED to have the Pinterest button with no problem until now.

All-About cheaver
    View cheaver's Listings
    Forum Posts

Different Router/same Tower - same problem - just edited and there is NO Pinterest button:

Name:  Diff Router, 17.1.15, 12.55pm.png
Views: 56
Size:  20.0 KB

This Tower HAD the Pinterest button with no problem less than an hour ago at another location.
    My laptop works fine at home with either Router, using Firefox.
    Several users have the same Pinterest problem using different OS's and different ISP's.

Note sherlock couldn't get Pinterest button using Firefox but could get Pinterest Button using CometBird on the SAME computer...
    Note also... I tried with Opera browser but still had same problem - NO Pinterest button.

Would it help if I sent Support the page coding (F12) for both with and without the problem for comparison as clearly the issue is not with computers/routers/Firefox?

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Share buttons are now provided by Shareaholic (eBid rejected the provider I use and suggested). A search on "shareaholic missing buttons" throws up a good few hits, so the problem may lie outside of you and eBid.

All-About cheaver
    View cheaver's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    Share buttons are now provided by Shareaholic (eBid rejected the provider I use and suggested). A search on "shareaholic missing buttons" throws up a good few hits, so the problem may lie outside of you and eBid.
    This is exactly what the guys at Computer Club were intimating this morning....
    sigh..... (two of the Guys at the Club are Software Developers & I have the highest regard for your input Astral as well) so, on balance, I think you might have all hit the nail on the head.....

Gazza ~ could it be eBid's Button Provider?

Forum Saint
    View Anniemcc2's Feedback (+3934)
    All-About Anniemcc2
    View Anniemcc2's Listings
    Forum Posts

Just noticed that the Pinterest button is missing from my About me page.

Quote Originally Posted by Anniemcc2 View Post
    Just noticed that the Pinterest button is missing from my About me page.
    I don't know where my post went but mine is missing as well Annie.
    I am using a BT home hub BTW.

Well I was doing some research on this and have a few ideas in mind.

First of all I have the missing Pinterest thing here and not in my Ebid. I use Chrome, so this is not Firefox specific

It does suggest something external to eBid.

Cheaver has a machine which loses the button at home but not when at her UG. The difference here will be the ISP, I assume this temporarily.

Now, Cheaver has another machine with identical OS etc which is totally unaffected using the same setup. She uses Firefox on both machines. I must assume that it both cases it is the same version of Firefox in all respects.

I ran a test on a laptop which normally runs W7 with a twin core Intel processor , 500 Gb HD and 4Gb ram - a fairly standard setup. Under Chrome I get the correct buttons in my ebid and am missing Pinterest in these forums. Using the USB OS trick I've mentioned before, I booted into a very high security version of a Linux system with a special high security browser. Logging into eBid I could see the buttons in my Ebid, and I could have used them. However there were no buttons at all visible in the forums. The whole lot had gone. In fact the browser would not let me PM Cheaver from within this forum. In other words the forum software is a high security risk. Ebid's own "face to the world" is very well protected.

My thoughts so far? Something has changed in the security field. Constant threats mean that ISP's are frequently changing their filters to protect both themselves and users. Some of the filters provided may well react slightly differently depending upon the combination of CPU, OS and browser involved. AV filters sometimes react differently according to these factors as well.

Later this evening I shall load Chrome into my very secure OS to see what happens then.

So far as I can determine the "block" is external to eBid and the forum, and minor variations between individual machines are to be expected. Although interesting and, perhaps infuriating to some members, I doubt if there is a universal "fix" that will preserve security. Personally I have not gained any eBid "brownie points" through the social media as I consider them to be such a security risk I have not used them as yet.

All-About cheaver
    View cheaver's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi Ian, thank you so much for the work & effort you have put into this.

I have sent you a PM - then realised you might not be able to receive it, or get the usual email about it, so below is an idea that was sent to me from LUG. I'm away shortly so intended to have a go at it on return but your opinion of it or results from trying it (?maybe) might be useful info....

Thanks once again.

BTW your assumption is correct.
    "I must assume that it both cases it is the same version of Firefox in all respects."

Here's the LUG suggestion:

There is an extension for the chrome browser called "hola better internet" it is a proxy which can make it look like you are browsing from a different country.
    Given that it worked at the LUG but not at your house, it might be worth trying.
    If you try it and it works, you will have narrowed the problem down even more.

In chrome, click on the 4 bars at the far right of the address bar, choose settings then extensions. On that page, use the search box to search for hola, then install the extension.
    Once installed, the will be an orange icon at the end of the address bar. If it is not there, there will be a dropdown arrow, and it will be in there.

Go to the page with the missing button, then click the hola button at the end of your address bar, a box will appear asking which country you want to browse from.

Select (for example) USA, and refresh the page, there is also an on off button within the country select box, so that you can turn the proxy on and off to note the differences.

good luck,
    Last edited by cheaver; 19th January 2015 at 07:38 PM.

Thread Information