Thread: The Carrier Bag Scandal

View madelaine's Feedback (+5873)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: The Carrier Bag Scandal

Quote Originally Posted by sidthelamp View Post
    to be fair
    Fair? When have we ever been fair on this board?
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

View sidthelamp's Feedback (+541)
    All-About sidthelamp
    View sidthelamp's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by madelaine View Post
    Fair? When have we ever been fair on this board?

all fair in love and forums
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/under pressure

MY ATTITUDE IS A RESULT OF YOUR ACTIONS!!!
    IF YOU DONT LIKE IT BLAME YOURSELF.

Forum Saint
    View Anniemcc2's Feedback (+3934)
    All-About Anniemcc2
    View Anniemcc2's Listings
    Forum Posts

Borrowed from another forum

Name:  carrier_bags_wildlife.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  69.0 KB

View madelaine's Feedback (+5873)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

Well posted, Annie!
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

All-About sidthelamp
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anniemcc2 View Post
    Borrowed from another forum

Name:  carrier_bags_wildlife.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  69.0 KB
    another emocional provoking post, still has little to do with why the welsh goverment started charging for plastic bags, certainly not at the time immediately prior to the ban, nor does your post pick up on the fact that more plastic than ever is being used in the form of plastic bags, first and only use black bin liners, the welsh goverment also sold us this line because it was deemed a problem in land fill eg not degrading for 500 years, thats another excuse i take issue with but not here,

so what we have now is a greater use than ever of plastic bags in the uk even the goverment report says because of people switching to black plastic the net result in tonnage of plastic not going into the environment is 4% that also means that black plastic bag manufactures are getting a rather big bonus in sales,

so how much is are contribution to ocean plastic before and after the plastic bag charging came into effect? what % does the rest of the world add to the ocean? without addressing the facts which im trying to bring to life here , what point does your emocional post mean? sure its not very nice to see animals birds snared in plastic, but it does not address the reasons why, at least this thread has started to address the facts,im suggesting , switching from shopping bag plastic to black plastic is not gonna achieve a lot, especially when its profit driven which ive also suggested, your photos are a card thats played a lot ,we are all aware of plastic in the sea, its a hand thats become predictable and really does not have a shock factor anymore.

so what do you want to do let the goverment lead the way, il give you another example ere they used the environment as a excuse to prop up big business, the firewood scam

back around the same time as the shopping bag charge was being debated,

as it was then the forestry commision decided to stop issuing firewood licences to the public this was sold to us on three premises 1 all the little bugs that live there life cycle in the fire wood would be destroyed , 2 it was too much of a administration burden to issue licences, 3 , it would be better for the firewood to be collected by a contractor and then resold to people who did not have the ability to collect themeslves,, youl notice there is a direct contradiction there, so the little bugs which was the main environmental issue , got a roar deal in favour of big business there habitat was sold right from underneath them in favour of the highest bidder, quite literally because thats how forestry contracts work, a few men in vans collecting offcuts to heat there homes never had a impact on the bugs compared, with harvesting machines that pick every thing up,

there the above facts of why i dont buy into emotional reasons to save the environment, you need to look at the real reasons behind the distress of these sea creatures not some one eles propaganda

In A Butterfly House, Essex, United Kingdom
    View emmily121's Feedback (+310)
    All-About emmily121
    View emmily121's Listings
    Forum Posts

I've followed this thread from the beginning and don't recall anyone mentioning the reason I object to paying for carrier bags, the ones with the shop name and or logo on, and that's about advertising their shop. I'm happy to carry bags advertising shops when the bag is free, but I'm not paying for a carrier bag to advertise for them.
    It's not a problem though, when we shop at Aldi, who've always charged for carrier bags, we take our own bags, like wise with Lidl, we now just take our own bags where ever we shop. Before Lidl had shopping baskets I used to find a suitable cardboard box in store, put shopping in that, empty it out at till, then fill it up again and take it home (5 minutes walk) in the box.
    We use the carrier bags for bin liners in 4 bins around our home, once we've used all the carrier bags we have, I guess we'll have to buy bin lines, either that or put rubbish lose in our wheelie bin.
    (One bonus for me is I've now got 2 butterfly clipbags (shopping bags that fold small) attached to my handbag for when ever I may need a bag)

Honest, reliable seller looking for honest, reliable buyers.

Emmily's Pin Badges
    New and used pin badges

NAWT Charity Store
    Take a minute to take a look

End of the Rainbow
    Will you find treasure at the end of the rainbow.
    Cuddly puppies and kittens now available.

YDC Charity Auctions

Forum Saint
    View tonyreddevil's Feedback (+74)
    All-About tonyreddevil
    View tonyreddevil's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by emmily121 View Post
    I've followed this thread from the beginning and don't recall anyone mentioning the reason I object to paying for carrier bags, the ones with the shop name and or logo on, and that's about advertising their shop. I'm happy to carry bags advertising shops when the bag is free, but I'm not paying for a carrier bag to advertise for them.
    It's not a problem though, when we shop at Aldi, who've always charged for carrier bags, we take our own bags, like wise with Lidl, we now just take our own bags where ever we shop. Before Lidl had shopping baskets I used to find a suitable cardboard box in store, put shopping in that, empty it out at till, then fill it up again and take it home (5 minutes walk) in the box.
    We use the carrier bags for bin liners in 4 bins around our home, once we've used all the carrier bags we have, I guess we'll have to buy bin lines, either that or put rubbish lose in our wheelie bin.
    (One bonus for me is I've now got 2 butterfly clipbags (shopping bags that fold small) attached to my handbag for when ever I may need a bag)
    Bernie My Financee as 4 small plastic carriers in her handbag.Wise Move.

Ipswich - The Jewel Of The East -, Suffolk, United Kingdom
    View squern's Feedback (+2196)
    All-About squern
    View squern's Listings
    Forum Posts

I agree with you: When issues are "emotionalised", I'm always suspicious.
    If the issue had merit, it would stand oin its own, and not need blackmail to support it.

An example is "global warming". When it was in full flow, we were told that everybody in Bangladesh was going to drown, and it would be our fault.
    Now that it has been proven that the environment hasn't warmed at all for the last 18 years, it has been necessary to rename it "climate change". And apparently all those Bangladeshis are still going to drown, and it will still be our fault.

The facts of the matter don't have any bearing on the situation: Lots of people are making a lot of money out of this "crisis" - that's what matters.

I'm still waiting for the impending Ice Age that was predicted in the 1960s. I wonder now if it has arrived, and collided with "global warming", and each has cancelled out the other. Whew! what a lucky escape we all have had.

I predict that when the unintended consequences of the bag ban become apparent, there will be a rethink. The envirinment won't figure much in the solution, but profits will.

Quote Originally Posted by emmily121 View Post
    That's a very good point. I bought a carrier from co-op earlier today, cannot recall if it had the brand on it though. Generally for me though I don't go shopping in town centre's or busy places so I only carry bags a short distance from the store to the car park.

A note about McDonalds. I have it on authority that they will ask if you want to pay 5p for a bag if you're taking away (the brown ones), however if you say no and have a meal and/or fries they will give you a bag free anyway as the fries are "Open". But they are asking you to pay beforehand when you don't need to.

All-About sidthelamp
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by squern View Post
    I agree with you: When issues are "emotionalised", I'm always suspicious.
    If the issue had merit, it would stand oin its own, and not need blackmail to support it.

An example is "global warming". When it was in full flow, we were told that everybody in Bangladesh was going to drown, and it would be our fault.
    Now that it has been proven that the environment hasn't warmed at all for the last 18 years, it has been necessary to rename it "climate change". And apparently all those Bangladeshis are still going to drown, and it will still be our fault.

The facts of the matter don't have any bearing on the situation: Lots of people are making a lot of money out of this "crisis" - that's what matters.

I'm still waiting for the impending Ice Age that was predicted in the 1960s. I wonder now if it has arrived, and collided with "global warming", and each has cancelled out the other. Whew! what a lucky escape we all have had.

I predict that when the unintended consequences of the bag ban become apparent, there will be a rethink. The envirinment won't figure much in the solution, but profits will.
    sacked for speaking his mind

https://www.rt.com/news/320484-frenc...limate-change/

Thread Information