Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The Carrier Bag Scandal

Default The Carrier Bag Scandal

After a fairly recent visit to Cardiff, and upon purchasing a large coat plus other clothing items I was asked if I would like a bag... Of course I said Yes Please, and was asked for another 5p for the bag... good job I had some change or I would have been paying for it by credit card,,,

I was a little aghast and mentioned to someone later on about it and was informed that it is THE LAW in Wales that you have to pay 5p for a carrier bag... THE LAW !!!

I know some shops charge anyway (Aldi do in this country, for squeezing profits...) but how long until it's the law in England?

I find it totally ridiculous... 5p!! It's not the price but the principal. Sometimes when I go shopping I sometimes have to ask repeatably for extra bags as I might get given 1 or 2 by the checkout operator for a trolley full of shopping...

I'm all for helping the environment, I seperate my waste, put them into the right bins and even take bottles and old clothes to the big bin thingies a 5 minute drive away. I don't like pointless rubbish and minimize water usage, turn lights off etc and I do all this as MY CHOICE.

To make things like this THE LAW in my opinion is bordering on dictatorship. When I use the self serve tills now I take a good number of extra bags (IE packing 1 item per bag) in order to prepare for the coming carrier bag shortage !! I reuse the carrier bags for a variety of reasons.

If this became law here or if the big supermarkets introduced their own charge I feel like I would want to do a big shop, leave it all on the checkout and take it to my car 1 item at a time if they're not going to help me carry out THEIR products I bought in THEIR store !

In A Butterfly House, Essex, United Kingdom
    View emmily121's Feedback (+310)
    All-About emmily121
    View emmily121's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: The Carrier Bag Scandal

I'm off to bed Ash, here's something for you to read, if you haven't already read it.

And, don't get me started on bleep carrier bags...I'll be back...

Honest, reliable seller looking for honest, reliable buyers.

Emmily's Pin Badges
    New and used pin badges

NAWT Charity Store
    Take a minute to take a look

End of the Rainbow
    Will you find treasure at the end of the rainbow.
    Cuddly puppies and kittens now available.

YDC Charity Auctions

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Agree with you Ash, plus what about the folks who are struggling to get by, like seniors on fixed incomes or the disabled? A few cents here and there isn't a lot, but it does add up. Aldi is the only place I know of around here that does that, (plus they make you put a quarter in the cart return so you'll return your cart when you're done shopping), but I don't shop there as they never have anything I want and IMHO they're no cheaper than the other supermarkets that don't charge, so I'll give my business to the businesses that don't squeeze the little guy. This makes me feel bad for the Welsh if it's the law and they have no say in the matter.

Best wishes for many sales to all,

Well you wouldn't last very long in the supermarkets in Brittany Ash, they don't supply carrier bags at all any more, they stopped them altogether quite a few years ago. You either take your own bags or look around the supermarket for a spare cardboard box or load your food straight back into your trolley individually and throw it into the boot of your car. So I wouldn't moan about having to give 5p for a bag as at least you have the option to get one if you really need it !

When I was little back in the 1960's my mum never used carrier bags she always took a wicca shopping basket with her and maybe a cloth bag too as most women did then. I always take cloth bags to the supermarket myself these days and would only ask for a carrier if I couldn't fit all my shopping into those.

It will become law in England in October 2015 so I should look on eBid for a good shopping bag Ash !
    https://www.gov.uk/government/polici...c-carrier-bags

View JanetB's Feedback (+1175)
    All-About JanetB
    View JanetB's Listings
    Forum Posts

I ALWAYS carry my own shopping bags, folded tightly and tucked away in my handbag.

Laurencekirk, Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom
    View Maelbrigda's Feedback (+2605)
    All-About Maelbrigda
    View Maelbrigda's Listings
    Forum Posts

It is the law here in Scotland too. In shops like Tesco the charge goes to charity but it is up to the shop owner what they do with it. I usually have my own bags and dont mind paying the 5p if i don't have enough. I would consider your suggestion of taking more bags than necessary as stealing. Buy yourself a nice cotton or jute fair trade bag and help the environment
    Simply Handmade all my handmade items
    Maelbrigda's Bits and Pieces For Clothing and Jewellery, Ornaments, Odds & Ends & Much More
    Craft Store Crafty bits & pieces. Patterns, Card, Yarn, Stamps and more
    Books, Blu Rays, DVD's, CD's and Vinyl Records
    https://www.ebid.net/uk/stores/The-Pagan-Tree

Please have a look. I combine postage wherever possible.

Forum Saint
    View Anniemcc2's Feedback (+3934)
    All-About Anniemcc2
    View Anniemcc2's Listings
    Forum Posts

It has been the LAW in Wales since 2011 ! http://www.carrierbagchargewales.gov...ilers/?lang=en

And I agree with it. If you know you are going to do a trolley load of shoopping, then go prepared. All major supermarkets sell re-usable shopping bags from 10p upwards - I keep mine in the car boot; or take cardboard/plastic boxes with you.

NO shop/supermarket is allowed to keep the money raised by the sale of the 5p bags - it HAS to go charity. From 2011-2014 Tesco gave the proceeds to the Welsh R.S.P.B. From this year it's going to the Welsh Food Banks - we actively support the Trussell Trust and organise food collections in our local store on a regular basis.

It won't be long before bags are banned all together like France and Spain - we don't need to be given free carrier bags at all.

The supermarkets that I go to have always had cardboard boxes at the checkout until recently but the price of waste cardboard is now very high so it is more profitable for them to sell the board and buy carrier bags.

I collect as many as I can because I sell at boot sales quite often and everyone expects to be given a bag even if they are only paying tuppence for something. I often take a load from the bag recycling bin, I consider that to be the most environmentally efficient way of recycling!

Forum Saint
    View tonyreddevil's Feedback (+74)
    All-About tonyreddevil
    View tonyreddevil's Listings
    Forum Posts

It seem comon sense
    Those plastic carrier bags are dificult to break down.
    Looking forward to October 2015 when England implements the system.
    cheers Tony

I haven't used a plastic carrier bag for years..... just assumed that was fairly normal. Live and learn every day!

Thread Information