Thread: Zombie Sellers

Thornton Cleveleys, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View cheaver's Feedback (+1050)
    All-About cheaver
    View cheaver's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Zombie Sellers

Quote Originally Posted by SparkyLabs View Post
    Precisely the whole website needs a memento of buyers which keeps the sellers active. Once a listing is set up and running there is not much reason for a seller to return to the site unless a sale is made. Ebid need a critical mass for it to snowball and it does not look like we have that critical mass. Having lots of sellers is pointless unless there are people buying. How to get people to come and buy is a mystery. I haven't delved into my communications settings on the website but I would expect as a default that I get an email the moment somebody so much as flinches on my shop i.e. if they buy something I should get an email notification. If it's not the default setting I really really have to ask why? There are many websites I use not necessarily for selling but in general many forums and I don't keep visiting them all just to see if something has happened, I rely on feedback to my email address where everything comes in and I can decide what to do it's much more efficient to have email notifications all into one email address than have to run around checking all the sites I used to see if there has been activity of one sort or another that I need to know about. The first and only item I try to buy never showed up either and the seller did not respond I had to use PayPal to get my money back. If that seller had not been notified of my message or of the sale by email then I really cannot fault them and would instead fault ebid for not letting them know, if a default is to not receive emails that will probably break the hold website as nobody will ever know what is going on and will be the reason why nothing is growing very quickly.
    What is a memento of buyers?
    Why should you assume email notifications are NOT sent by default?
    Why haven't you checked your own email notification settings? It's the first thing I do once I have joined a site.
    Again the same assumption of non-email notification ~ the Seller may have failed to add eBid to their address book (as eBid requests) to avoid being spam filtered....

Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire, United Kingdom
    View olivia8143's Feedback (+1394)
    All-About olivia8143
    View olivia8143's Listings
    Forum Posts

Precisely the whole website needs a memento of buyers which keeps the sellers active. Once a listing is set up and running there is not much reason for a seller to return to the site unless a sale is made. Ebid need a critical mass for it to snowball and it does not look like we have that critical mass. Having lots of sellers is pointless unless there are people buying. How to get people to come and buy is a mystery. I haven't delved into my communications settings on the website but I would expect as a default that I get an email the moment somebody so much as flinches on my shop i.e. if they buy something I should get an email notification. If it's not the default setting I really really have to ask why? There are many websites I use not necessarily for selling but in general many forums and I don't keep visiting them all just to see if something has happened, I rely on feedback to my email address where everything comes in and I can decide what to do it's much more efficient to have email notifications all into one email address than have to run around checking all the sites I used to see if there has been activity of one sort or another that I need to know about. The first and only item I try to buy never showed up either and the seller did not respond I had to use PayPal to get my money back. If that seller had not been notified of my message or of the sale by email then I really cannot fault them and would instead fault ebid for not letting them know, if a default is to not receive emails that will probably break the hold website as nobody will ever know what is going on and will be the reason why nothing is growing very quickly.
    Like Cheaver, I don't know what a memento is but eBid changed the rules some time ago for inactive sellers to sign in, at least once, every 60 days, otherwise their listings will be deleted, I should think that's an incentive to keep sellers active.

Forum Newbie
    Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, United Kingdom
    View SparkyLabs's Feedback (+2)
    All-About SparkyLabs
    View SparkyLabs's Listings
    Forum Posts

I meant momento. I'll check my email settings but someone hinted that they may not be set to notify by default.

All-About cheaver
    View cheaver's Listings
    Forum Posts

I meant momento. I'll check my email settings but someone hinted that they may not be set to notify by default.
    I still don't know what a momento (or memento)of buyers is.... what do you mean?

Can I really politely suggest that you don't quote what people say, and present it as fact, without checking things out for yourself first?

View MPS16's Feedback (+3501)
    All-About MPS16
    View MPS16's Listings
    Forum Posts

" I meant momento "

Do you mean momentum.
    Please Visit My Stores

Meccano Shop
    Postcards Shop
    Stamps Shop
    DVD Shop

I'm free-I'm free
    And freedom tastes of reality
    I'm free-I'm free
    And I'm waiting for you to follow me

TOMMY

Forum Newbie
    All-About SparkyLabs
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MPS16 View Post
    Do you mean momentum.
    Yes and that's a fact

Forum Newbie
    All-About SparkyLabs
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cheaver View Post

Can I really politely suggest that you don't quote what people say, and present it as fact, without checking things out for yourself first?

Post number eight seemed to suggest that perhaps the default was to not notify a seller of a sale. Of course what the person may have meant is that you should not be allowed to change that particular setting so that it always defaults to a seller getting an email when they make a sale.

All-About cheaver
    View cheaver's Listings
    Forum Posts

Post number eight seemed to suggest that perhaps the default was to not notify a seller of a sale. Of course what the person may have meant is that you should not be allowed to change that particular setting so that it always defaults to a seller getting an email when they make a sale.
    I can't even begin (and don't want) to contemplate what the intimations of others may or may not mean.... waters can get muddy enough as it is!

Forum Newbie
    All-About SparkyLabs
    Forum Posts

Well I checked and all emails are set to go out for every event by default so should not be a problem.

Precisely the whole website needs a memento of buyers which keeps the sellers active. Once a listing is set up and running there is not much reason for a seller to return to the site unless a sale is made. Ebid need a critical mass for it to snowball and it does not look like we have that critical mass. Having lots of sellers is pointless unless there are people buying. How to get people to come and buy is a mystery. ...
    Why do you keep posting in this negative fashion? Just because you're not selling doesn't mean everyone's not selling, as indeed is clear from the rebuttals that have been made in other threads. If you don't think millions of listings are the critical mass you want, so be it. Despite its huge size, ebid is unlikely to overtake ebay. Though I do feel some of the recent changes at ebay are interesting, I'd love to know whether the competition from ebid played a part in them changing their listing fees for small sellers and some of their other offers. I'm guessing they did.

"How to get people to come and buy is a mystery"... is it??? After all the advice you can find in the forums? This is an amazingly helpful venue, a place where people still try and help even the moaners who slag off everything in sight. Though patience isn't an inexhaustible resource.

Ebid is a long way from perfect. And in different respects, ebay is also a long way from perfect. It's worth exploring how to exploit those differences.

Sparky, each time, before you press 'Submit', try reviewing what you're about to post and think whether some aspects could be more glass half full. The barman might even refill the glass!
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Thread Information