Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just an idea..??

Default Just an idea..??

Dunno if this has been suggested / discussed / done before, but......

Since joining eBid a few weeks back I've also listed stuff on Vivastreet (plenty of views but no enquiries/sales) and Freeads (views ok and hopefully if buyer turns up to collect on Sat morning my first sale will take place)

Anyway, when listing on Freeads, there is a place to put in a website address (no charge) and so all my listings there now have a link to my little eBid shop
    Having just looked at the Gumtree site the same thing can be done from there but as you'd expect from an E**y company there is a £5 charge!!!!

If each of us eBidders listed our most viewed item on Freeads it just might increase eBids presence a little
    And for those who don't mind forking out just one fiver.....maybe try the same on Gumtree??

If, say very conservatively just 10 people looked at one eBidders item and only one of those followed a link to eBid...well that'd not be very good really! lol

But if ALL eBid sellers (I don't know how many of us there are!) listed an item.....well it must help the ebid profile!

Ok.....back to me toast & coffee now!

View JanetB's Feedback (+1175)
    All-About JanetB
    View JanetB's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Just an idea..??

Very interesting, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by peterpunto08 View Post
    Anyway, when listing on Freeads, there is a place to put in a website address (no charge) and so all my listings there now have a link to my little eBid shop
    When I see a thread title like 'just an idea' I immediately have a preconceived idea that I am probably going to read something that I have read many times before.

Wrong!

Well spotted Peter and thank you for sharing that info - will have to have a look into that.

Forum Newbie
    View KjC_Online's Feedback (+563)
    All-About KjC_Online
    View KjC_Online's Listings
    Forum Posts

I was just about to post something similar to this myself.

I discovered the Gumtree link to website for £5 and gave it a go a couple of days ago. I even paid the £15.25 (£20.25 total) for a Spotlight ad whereby my listing would appear on the Gumtree homepage. My listing was for a bracelet I have on eBid.

However, a few moments after paying the fee and watching the ad go live I discovered a problem...Gumtree mobile app users (the vast majority of users) can't see the link to my website. It's also against Gumtree's policies to add a web link into the item description so I got creative...by making this simple picture...

Name:  My eBid Logo 1.png
Views: 121
Size:  35.1 KB

This would mean that mobile app users could at least see my website, even though they couldn't click on it.

This was fine until today when Gumtree e-mailed me saying they'd temporally removed the listing as it required editing and the reason being was because of that picture. Turns out web addresses aren't allowed to be displayed in pictures.

So I removed the picture to at least get the advert live again, which it did not.

A few hours later they e-mailed again saying they had deleted my ad because I was offering more than 1 type of product which is also against their policies. This is despite me only advertising 1 type of bracelet.

I reckon they followed the link to my eBid items and removed the ad based on this.

I'm now locked in a battle to receive a full refund of my £20.25 which involved 40 minutes on hold waiting for their pathetic team to pick up the phone and immediately hang up!

On a lighter note I just discovered the freeads site mentioned by the OP. And yes its totally free to list there and add a link to your eBid items or eBid store. I have listed a few of my items on there and traffic flow seems ok so far. I have noticed a few extra views on my eBid items since placing the ads on freeads.

Fingers crossed the views turn into sales.

I'd recommend sellers place a few ads on freeads with a link to their items or stores.

I'd also recommend sellers be cautious when paying for extras on Gumtree, especially adding a web address.
    Last edited by Kristoffer214; 17th January 2015 at 02:05 AM.

View JanetB's Feedback (+1175)
    All-About JanetB
    View JanetB's Listings
    Forum Posts

@Kristoffer214

Wow, I hope you get your money back!

As for Freeads site - is it just for UK'ers?

View HDLuckyLady's Feedback (+392)
    All-About HDLuckyLady
    View HDLuckyLady's Listings
    Forum Posts

It is only for UK folks.

Tried to add a listing and have to use a UK postcode to post it. I'm assuming a US similar site would be craigslist, however that's region specific.
    Love jewelry? Love motorcycles? Me too! Check out http://harley-biker-shop.ebid.net/

Keep the rubber side down!

Forum Newbie
    View KjC_Online's Feedback (+563)
    All-About KjC_Online
    View KjC_Online's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jeweleffects View Post
    @Kristoffer214

Wow, I hope you get your money back!

As for Freeads site - is it just for UK'ers?
    Me too. I finally got to speak to someone about it at Gumtree HQ and they assure me they will refund my PayPal account within 7-10 days.

Forum Newbie
    View woody1953's Feedback (+4121)
    All-About woody1953
    View woody1953's Listings
    Forum Posts

Smile Re: Just an idea..??

Quote Originally Posted by Kristoffer214 View Post
    Me too. I finally got to speak to someone about it at Gumtree HQ and they assure me they will refund my PayPal account within 7-10 days.
    Hi. My picture on facebook is a little thing I drew up saying cheap books, Ebid UK, woody 1953 the 'Ebid; bit is the ebis emblem...

all helps perhaps....

I didn't even know about Freeads (i'll have to check it out), but then again I didn't know about this site till a friend of mine told me about it.
    Now that i've started listing stuff on here, I make sure that I mention it in a post on my facebook site that is set up just for my business (doesn't cost me anything), where I have a link to my own website (deals in action figures - Vintage to modern), and I always add a link to my Ebid shop if the post is connected to it (Comics and Trading Cards).
    And whenever I sell something elsewhere that isn't related to what my business is, I always include a Business card that has all the web addresses.
    As woody1953 says "all helps perhaps"....although I think it actually does help.

Great idea, will look into this in the week.

Would Gaz or Mark maybe be able to tell us how much traffic these ads are bringing to the site? Maybe after say 6 months of trying it?

Thread Information