Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: A reply to Mark

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default A reply to Mark

(as the thread he asked me a question on appears to have been deleted)

Mark asked, following me stating that issues reported on this Glitches forum were not being addressed, what 'important bugs' reported were extant on the site. Due to me rebuilding my PC I was not best placed to answer at the time and said I would reply later. This is that reply:

Mark,

I feel we would first have to agree on a definition of 'an important bug'. To me it would me one that either prevents the site from operating or was a threat to the site or its users' security. I can't, hand on heart, say such exists.

That being the case there is even less reason why lesser problems on the site should not be addressed. These are often little things such as spelling errors, GUI errors, CSS errors, old text that no longer reflects the current site or contradicts text elsewhere, etc. While these are not 'important bugs' they do give the site an unprofessional appearance. They are things that would not take masses of time and effort or require professional programmers to put right.

My impression is that eBid's bug report management is severely lacking. Unless admin picks up on something the day it is reported, and find it an interesting task, it just appears to be forgotten about and disappears into the bowels of the forum. Occasionally some will bump their report back up again in the (usually) vain hope of seeing it actioned, but they eventually lose heart and give up.

Not acting on reports leaves those who take the time and trouble to report them disillusioned and less likely to bother in the future. The only eventual loser there is eBid.

New features and widgets are always nice, but a little time spent on fixing what might seem like minutia to eBid's programmers should not be sacrificed for the latest bling.

Last edited by astral276; 7th August 2014 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Tpyo

Thread Information