eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Ebid marketing

Forum Newbie
    View Sayleboat's Feedback (+228)
    All-About Sayleboat
    View Sayleboat's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Ebid marketing

Ok, so I am pretty sure I landed in Ebid by accident. I must say, I LOVE it! Everyone has been so friendly and helpful. Much unlike ToS.

I think it would benefit ALL sellers (and even buyers) if eBid would have a daily advertising listing. If a seller has a couple of extra dollars, they could send a "donation" to eBid to be strictly used for advertising. I bet if each seller sent 5 dollars, it would equal thousands of new bidders.

Anyone on board? Or does this seem ridiculous? It seems Ebid is doing everything they can to make us successful. If we're going to be successful, they must be successful as well. The last thing we need is ToS buying them out!

Sheffield, South Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View sheffieldtony's Feedback (+1287)
    All-About sheffieldtony
    View sheffieldtony's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Ebid marketing

Quote Originally Posted by Sayleboat View Post
    Ok, so I am pretty sure I landed in Ebid by accident. I must say, I LOVE it! Everyone has been so friendly and helpful. Much unlike ToS.

I think it would benefit ALL sellers (and even buyers) if eBid would have a daily advertising listing. If a seller has a couple of extra dollars, they could send a "donation" to eBid to be strictly used for advertising. I bet if each seller sent 5 dollars, it would equal thousands of new bidders.

Anyone on board? Or does this seem ridiculous? It seems Ebid is doing everything they can to make us successful. If we're going to be successful, they must be successful as well. The last thing we need is ToS buying them out!
    This has been discussed on previous posts, on numerous occasions.
    https://www.ebid.net/uk/stores/OldPostcards

Click on Link & Join EBid.
    http://www.ebid.net/uk/buddy/317570

It will not happen, we can't even get eBid owners to sell us their branded merchandise for real money.

Forum Newbie
    View Sayleboat's Feedback (+228)
    All-About Sayleboat
    View Sayleboat's Listings
    Forum Posts

With answers like that, I know why

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

There is at least one well known alternative site, that openly asks their users for donations. See nothing wrong with that. It would need to be designated for marketing.

Before I could donate to something like that, I would need more assurance that increases in visibility would spread across a larger segment of eBid sellers. Not just bring in more business for sellers who seem able to sell here now on a somewhat regular basis. Also that there were systems in place to monitor donations and their proper application.

It is not the worst idea in the world. But if eBid do not want to do it then why not the sellers themselves. Could take the form of magazine or online adverts that do not have to cost a fortune. Maybe even specific adverts in a trade publication with a few stamp, magazine or postcard sellers clubbing together and all getting a mention. Just needs somebody other sellers would trust to take the job on.

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

The reason eBid may not want to do it, may be similar to the reason the sellers do not want to do it, the perceived cost. If cost is holding eBid back, couldn't they also do specific adverts in magazines or online? Or radio talk shows (often free); or article marketing; or other low cost, no cost forms of advertising. If sellers are not making sales or have low sales, where will the money come from?

Quote Originally Posted by burgyeb View Post
    The reason eBid may not want to do it, may be similar to the reason the sellers do not want to do it, the perceived cost. If cost is holding eBid back, couldn't they also do specific adverts in magazines or online? Or radio talk shows (often free); or article marketing; or other low cost, no cost forms of advertising. If sellers are not making sales or have low sales, where will the money come from?
    My own thoughts are in a way similar. If eBid wanted to go straight for the big time they would have to spend big. That would bring an element of risk. The site has been going a long time, almost certainly paying enough for the boys to get by on. So why risk that or bring in outside investors and lose control. They have made moves to increase the visibility but mainly online. My own sales have increased every year and many are still to new buyers so maybe the slower risk free tactic is best. Hopefully revenue will increase and allow the advertising budget to increase with it. but I think the chances of seeing a fancy TV advertisement for eBid will remain pretty slim.

Forum Master
    View tony41's Feedback (+10028)
    All-About tony41
    View tony41's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sayleboat View Post

At present, eBid is owned by "the boys". Unless they want to give up the site and sell it there is no likelihood that TOS could buy them out.
    A previous thread gave details of the capitalisation of eBid. I cannot now find the thread for the details but suffice it to say that the figure was low enough to indicate that the chances of an advertising campaign are very low. One way of funding it would be to bring in outside investers but this would mean loss of control and a distinct possibility that TOS could take over the site which no-one wants.
    Last edited by tony41; 26th May 2014 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Correcting typo.

Thread Information