Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Nomination for YDC121

Default Nomination for YDC121

Well I've had a little think about this folks and this time I would like to nominate something a little different.

I know it now seems a long time ago but it was only a few months ago that we had the terrible winter storms and I think most people around the world saw the terrible battering that the Cornish village of Porthleven took on the BBC news.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26065858

The fishermen there had a terrible time. The sea smashed the boards that protected the inner harbour and several boats were sunk. They had to hire cranes to get the rest of the boats out before they were washed away too. It's the first time the harbour has been empty since about 1910 ! Some things were insured but a lot wasn't and thousands of pounds worth of equipment like nets and pots were lost and the fishermen couldn't work for weeks.

I used to work at Porthleven Craft centre when I was a teenager back in the 1970's and know a lot of people from Porthleven from my school days so I would like to nominate the 'Porthleven Fisherman's Association Emergency Fund' to help them get back on their feet or should I say boats ! Porthleven has already lost it's boat building yard due to economic pressures so I would hate to see their fishing fleet go too.

http://www.itv.com/news/westcountry/...cal-fishermen/

Ten boats sank in Porthleven harbour, and many lost floats, nets and crab pots when huge waves crashed through into the inner harbour earlier this month.
    "Fishermen by their nature are quite proud people, they wouldn't have asked for help, and they're quite staggered by the support that they've received from the local community, and I must say further afield. We've received donations from all over the country, people who've seen our plight, come down here on holiday and sent donations for which we are eternally grateful."
    – Alan Richards, Porthleven Fishermen's Association:
    This winter the weather has ben unprecedented and our gear in all depths right down to 30 fathoms, which is safe as houses, has been damaged and a lot of it has been lost due to the weather. At this moment in time we're about £8,000 down on our equipment, which is a massive hill to climb to get over that."
    – Jeremy Hosking, crab fisherman for 30 years in PorthlevenThe money raised will go towards uninsured fishing boats and equipment, and pay for the costs of craning the remaining boats out of the harbour which were damaged at the height of the storms.

This is their facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Porth...90573224475303 As you will see there has already been a lot of fundraising going on but even after everything has been replaced they will still need funds as a buffer in case anything dreadful like this happens again.

I don't think they set up a Just Giving page as it was a one off collection ,or at least I haven't been able to find one, so I will collect money in and write a cheque when the time comes.

Last edited by cornishmaid1961; 2nd May 2014 at 01:37 AM.

Default Re: Nomination for YDC121

Nice choice Sarge, I already have some bits to list.

Quote Originally Posted by booksntings View Post
    Nice choice Sarge, I already have some bits to list.
    Thanks troops I knew I could rely on you !

Forum Saint
    Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey, United Kingdom
    View meebo1's Feedback (+7886)
    All-About meebo1
    View meebo1's Listings
    Forum Posts

I am right behind you

Chester - Le - Street, Durham, United Kingdom
    View Armstrongs's Feedback (+1436)
    All-About Armstrongs
    View Armstrongs's Listings
    Forum Posts

Wow, that is a really thoughtful idea Becky.

Duly noted for YDC 121

We were extremely busy up here fundraising and sending wagons full of animal feed, hay etc. etc. for the farmers & livery yards who had lost everything. But, i'm shamed to say that I didn't realise that the fishermen had lost so much too.

Yvonne x

Look here for Crafty Bits

Find the Beamish Bazaar here!

I'M A YDC SUPPORTER!
    Find eBid's monthly charity auctions HERE on the 24th!

Thanks Meebs and Vonz.
    Yes the winter storms and floods certainly brought misery to a lot of people last winter. Let's hope we can do a little bit to help.

Laurencekirk, Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom
    View Maelbrigda's Feedback (+2605)
    All-About Maelbrigda
    View Maelbrigda's Listings
    Forum Posts

I will be glad to help out for such a worthy cause
    Simply Handmade all my handmade items
    Maelbrigda's Bits and Pieces For Clothing and Jewellery, Ornaments, Odds & Ends & Much More
    Craft Store Crafty bits & pieces. Patterns, Card, Yarn, Stamps and more
    Books, Blu Rays, DVD's, CD's and Vinyl Records
    https://www.ebid.net/uk/stores/The-Pagan-Tree

Please have a look. I combine postage wherever possible.

Great thanks Penni. So many small villages need help to protect their heritage. The tin mines are all gone and the fishermen struggle, all that will be left soon is the tourist industry if we are not careful. I expect like Cornwall you have seen many things close down in Scotland over the years.

View HerMajesty's Feedback (+1863)
    All-About HerMajesty
    View HerMajesty's Listings
    Forum Posts

Good choice for the economy, both for the fishermen/families and the community/country/world
    Ta-Ta for now!

HerMajesty

Slide Inn for Vintage 35mm photographic slides
    https://uk.ebid.net/stores/Slide-Inn

ALSO!! Click below to see my store, THE BEE'S KNEES!
    https://the-bees-knees.ebid.net

Quote Originally Posted by HerMajesty View Post
    Good choice for the economy, both for the fishermen/families and the community/country/world
    Glad to get the Royal stamp of approval ma'am !

Last edited by cornishmaid1961; 6th May 2014 at 02:18 PM.

Thread Information