Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Why does ebid not have main stream advertising

Default Re: Why does ebid not have main stream advertising

This should have wrapped up this thread, `cause there is nothing more usefull to say!
    Thanks, CancelCollector

Quote Originally Posted by thelickylabrador View Post
    I'm at work so have only read the first page of this thread and skipped to the end, but I found it because I was going to ask the exact same question re advertising. No one I have spoken to has ever heard of eBid. I have come over from the eBay and my sales have stopped dead which is dissapointing as I would love eBay to have some serious competition and all the tools are set up here to do it the only thing missing seemingly is customers. I really really want my store on here to take off and have emailed all my existing customers to advise them of the move but a radio or TV advert would be great, it needn't be anything flashy or overly expensive - it is just a matter of getting the name of the site out there so that when you say you are selling on eBid you don't get met with a blank look and a "who? whats that then?" response!
    I'm sure if you look elsewhere on these forums you'll find lots of advice on how to sell here, and opportunities to discuss the differences.

Don't shoot the messenger, but I wonder if you should change your moniker. Dogs can give a good vibe, and labradors are adorable gentle animals. Some major branding uses them successfully, e.g. the garden materials company "Two Wests and Elliot". That all said, I'll tell you how I feel when I see "the Licky Labrador". My first thought is: would I really want to buy something that's had a dog slobbering over it?

Of course I'm sure your dog isn't doing that. I'm just telling you what bubbles up from my sub-conscious and how it might affect your sales.
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Forum Saint
    View adruml's Feedback (+1138)
    All-About adruml
    View adruml's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by johnwash1 View Post
    I'm sure if you look elsewhere on these forums you'll find lots of advice on how to sell here, and opportunities to discuss the differences.

Don't shoot the messenger, but I wonder if you should change your moniker. Dogs can give a good vibe, and labradors are adorable gentle animals. Some major branding uses them successfully, e.g. the garden materials company "Two Wests and Elliot". That all said, I'll tell you how I feel when I see "the Licky Labrador". My first thought is: would I really want to buy something that's had a dog slobbering over it?

Of course I'm sure your dog isn't doing that. I'm just telling you what bubbles up from my sub-conscious and how it might affect your sales.
    Really?

Default HOLY thread resurrection Batman

What i have read from this thread is that SOME sellers are simply prepared to "go along" and dont expect any help from a site to promote it's self, Some sellers are saying (and not just in this thread) look at all the sellers coming from ebay atm, surely that will improve sales!? these are the sellers who do not want fee rises, BUT, some of us seller want fee rises if it means adverting which leads to BUYERS as well as sellers coming here, you can have a zillion sellers all day long, but with out the buyers, whats the point?? I think not to actually want eBid to advertise itself is ludicrous and simply put a stupid way of thinking. advertising your self does not promote the site on the scale that is needed
    I promote ebid as best i can, telling people, a banner on my own web page, on social media, so i do my bit, but ebid should do it's bit too

i have been banging on about ebid advertising for a long time
    http://www.ebid.net/forums/showthrea...socks-off-Ebay
    Last edited by baconbuttyman; 1st May 2014 at 09:30 AM.
    Hi Guys, Please come and take a look at my items for sale.
    Check out the Baconbuttyman departments store..CLICK HERE

Check out the Baconbuttyman laptop, computer & Parts Store
    Many thanks Mick

Default Re: HOLY thread resurrection Batman

Quote Originally Posted by baconbuttyman View Post
    What i have read from this thread is that SOME sellers are simply prepared to "go along" and dont expect any help from a site to promote it's self, Some sellers are saying (and not just in this thread) look at all the sellers coming from ebay atm, surely that will improve sales!? these are the sellers who do not want fee rises, BUT, some of us seller want fee rises if it means adverting which leads to BUYERS as well as sellers coming here, you can have a zillion sellers all day long, but with out the buyers, whats the point?? I think not to actually want eBid to advertise itself is ludicrous and simply put a stupid way of thinking. advertising your self does not promote the site on the scale that is needed
    I promote ebid as best i can, telling people, a banner on my own web page, on social media, so i do my bit, but ebid should do it's bit too

i have been banging on about ebid advertising for a long time
    http://www.ebid.net/forums/showthrea...socks-off-Ebay
    Yes, you (and others) have been banging on about it for years. It must be galling for the owners. And unproductive.

Take a reality check: http://companycheck.co.uk/company/03697708

And another: https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/q?s=EBAY (noting 67 BILLION $$$ market capitalisation).

Now engage your brain and consider whether, even using the most canny ways to advertise, how far your ad budget would go, if you were marketing manager for the smaller of those two companies!

Have you ever worked in a small company?

Considering how tiny eBid is as a company, I think it's a remarkable tribute to them that they're in second place to the giant eBay, and have millions of listings.
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Forum Master
    View tony41's Feedback (+10028)
    All-About tony41
    View tony41's Listings
    Forum Posts

These figures really put things into context. I hope all those advocating expenditure on advertising will now keep quiet as it seems obvious that the owners will not be able to respond to their "requests".
    I agree that tribute should be paid to the company for their success.

Forum Saint
    All-About adruml
    View adruml's Listings
    Forum Posts

Wouldn't advertising expenditures be compared to company size?
    To compare how much McDonalds spends on advertising vs how much a local hot dog stand spends seems rather silly.
    I don't believe folks are asking for a 67 billion dollar ad campaign. They are asking for enough advertising to get the eBid name known.
    Yes, eBid has a nice LITTLE spot in the online sales platform but it's growth over the last 15 years is not enough for some.
    There are sellers out there who would like to make a living off their online sales. To do that they need any site with brand recognition.
    With 2% FVFs and current sales of course eBid doesn't have a lot of $$$ to invest in marketing. However if sales were to increase by millions daily what would that additional 2% allow?
    Is the increase wishful thinking? No, that is what marketing brings to the table...more revenue. Don't take my word for it just ask the companies who advertise during the Super Bowl every year, they must know something that the advertising gurus here are missing.

i have been nothing but respectful with my comments and i would appreciate the same in return, I am taking a Reality check, I am also saying advertisements would require an increase in fee's, I accept that fact as a reality of business, I do ENGAGE my brain, I want to make part of my living off eBid, The REALITY of it is with out advertising, NO ONE will really benefit from Ebid, we are not talking MASSIVE campaing, as Roker stated a while back, start small, work up to it, YES i have worked in a small company for what ever thats worth.
    I will and always will BANG on about advertising, If i am so irritating to eBid, all they have to do is answer my inquirey instead of leaving every one speculating, for all we know they may have plans to look into it, but until they open up and let us know, your guess is as good as mine
    I fear a lot of sellers only use eBid cos it's free to a degree depending how you list, which is not good for ebid really, How are they to make any money if sellers dont want to contribute to the financial gain of the COMPANY they are using.
    I always use the option for the fvf
    Quote Originally Posted by johnwash1 View Post
    Yes, you (and others) have been banging on about it for years. It must be galling for the owners. And unproductive.

Take a reality check: http://companycheck.co.uk/company/03697708

And another: https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/q?s=EBAY (noting 67 BILLION $$$ market capitalisation).

Now engage your brain and consider whether, even using the most canny ways to advertise, how far your ad budget would go, if you were marketing manager for the smaller of those two companies!

Have you ever worked in a small company?

Considering how tiny eBid is as a company, I think it's a remarkable tribute to them that they're in second place to the giant eBay, and have millions of listings.
    Last edited by baconbuttyman; 3rd May 2014 at 05:34 PM.
    Hi Guys, Please come and take a look at my items for sale.
    Check out the Baconbuttyman departments store..CLICK HERE

Check out the Baconbuttyman laptop, computer & Parts Store
    Many thanks Mick

View madelaine's Feedback (+5872)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

For years there was a policy on the part of many of the forum posting sellers of using gallery auctions both for their improved visibility and the provision of revenue to eBid.

It is, also, possible to advertise your own store. I understand that at least one postcard dealer advertises in the Postcard collecting press.

I know this isn't affordable for everyone, but perhaps more people could consider similar ideas?
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

Forum Saint
    All-About adruml
    View adruml's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by madelaine View Post
    For years there was a policy on the part of many of the forum posting sellers of using gallery auctions both for their improved visibility and the provision of revenue to eBid.

It is, also, possible to advertise your own store. I understand that at least one postcard dealer advertises in the Postcard collecting press.

I know this isn't affordable for everyone, but perhaps more people could consider similar ideas?
    Why can't eBid do it? They collect the membership fees whether or not sales are made, they collect listing enhancement fees and final value fees and would benefit the most of this promotion you speak of.
    I am not stating this or that should be done only wondering why eBid does not promote itself better.
    Learn by example? Okay eBid does little to promote, so will I. I'll just wait for everybody else, wait 15 years and see what happens.

Bacon you made the mistake of posting with spelling errors/typos and improper grammar. That appears to be more important than the contents of the post.

Thread Information