Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 96 of 139 FirstFirst ... 468687888990919293949596979899100101102103104105106 ... LastLast

Thread: How's the weather today?

Forum Saint
    Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey, United Kingdom
    View meebo1's Feedback (+7886)
    All-About meebo1
    View meebo1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: How's the weather today?

It is warmer today and snow is slowly disappearing

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

I was watching a documentary about the 'Big Freeze' of the winter 62/63 the other night. I would have been 10 then, but I don't remember anything about it - which seems odd.

Maybe we weren't affected badly locally back then also; plus far less media exposure in those days as to the plight of others.

Anyone remember it?

https://youtu.be/pMXxRcqmrkQ
    Last edited by astral276; 3rd March 2018 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Added video link

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    I was watching a documentary about the 'Big Freeze' of the winter 62/63 the other night. I would have been 10 then, but I don't remember anything about it - which seems odd.

Maybe we weren't affected badly locally back then also; plus far less media exposure in those days as to the plight of others.

Anyone remember it?

Yes, I remember it clearly: I had to walk through snow almost up to my knees (literally) to get to work. Yes! we were a bit harder in those days. We put on our wellies and got on with life; buses still ran and offices remained open.
    I seem to remember buses having chains on the wheels? Or did I dream that?
    We also took great delight in walking over 3 miles to school in the snow during the fifties. Schools didn't shut then - slightest excuse these days!

Forum Master
    View tony41's Feedback (+10028)
    All-About tony41
    View tony41's Listings
    Forum Posts

Anyone remember it?

Yes. I remember it. I also just remember 1947. The snow drifts then were taller than me!

Forum Master
    View tony41's Feedback (+10028)
    All-About tony41
    View tony41's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by love_to_stitch View Post
    Yes, I remember it clearly: I had to walk through snow almost up to my knees (literally) to get to work. Yes! we were a bit harder in those days. We put on our wellies and got on with life; buses still ran and offices remained open.
    I seem to remember buses having chains on the wheels? Or did I dream that?
    We also took great delight in walking over 3 miles to school in the snow during the fifties. Schools didn't shut then - slightest excuse these days!
    I am slightly tired with snide comments about schools not shutting in the past, say 1963. Nowadays, there is parental choice about the schools the children attend meaning that children often have further to travel. Teachers also often have further to travel for many reasons, sometimes because they cannot afford houses in the area where they teach. Not to mention the blame and sue culture nowadays. Imagine the fuss if a child was injured at school. (why was the school open? and so on.)

I am slightly tired with snide comments about schools not shutting in the past, say 1963

If you are referring to my post, Tony, it wasn't a 'snide' remark, it was as I remember it. And, no, I wasn't referring to 1963 which, incidentally, was the year before I was married so had long left school - I was talking about the fifties when I walked over three miles to my junior school.

But you are right about the blame and sue culture nowadays and, no doubt has much to do with the schools now closing when there is a 'risk' of snow. But to close a school because the heating has broken down (my great-grandchild's school rececently) then that is, in my opinion, taking it too far. We grew up without any heating in the house for goodness sake.

Man up you lot!!!!!

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by love_to_stitch View Post
    We also took great delight in walking over 3 miles to school in the snow during the fifties.
    No 'School Runs' back then. I was taken to primary school on my first day (so that I knew the way) after that I was on my own to get there and back. Until my baby sister started anyway, then I had to take her until she demanded her independence.
    Last edited by astral276; 3rd March 2018 at 08:34 PM.

No 'School Runs' back then. I was taken to primary school on my first day (so that I knew the way) after that I was on my own to get there and back. Until my baby sister started anyway, then I had to take her until she demanded her independence.
    Too true, Astral. And, when King George V1 died, we were all sent home and expected to reach there on our own. I was nine years old and had fields to walk across after disembarking from the bus.

Forum Saint
    View Anniemcc2's Feedback (+3934)
    All-About Anniemcc2
    View Anniemcc2's Listings
    Forum Posts

More snow overnight but already melting. Everywhere is VERY slushy and yucky. Just hope we don't get a freeze now as it would be lethal.

Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View Huddylion's Feedback (+4843)
    All-About Huddylion
    View Huddylion's Listings
    Forum Posts

Snowing in Huddersfield AGAIN
    My feedback of
    is 100% positive and has all been earnt here on Ebid

Thread Information