eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Hand written letters

Poulton-le-fylde, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View Gill's Feedback (+517)
    All-About Gill
    View Gill's Listings
    Forum Posts

Question Hand written letters

I want to write some hand written letters that can be read in 20/30 years time. The trouble is I cannot find what to write with. From what I understand a pencil won't be eligible after 10 years so will a Biro be illegible after that time too? I don't own a fountain pen.

Can some help here please? Rest assured, these letters will not be typed and printed!

Thank you.
    Gill (pronounced Jill) "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful" William Morris 1834 - 1896

Forum Newbie
    View maxfli65's Feedback (+220)
    All-About maxfli65
    View maxfli65's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Hand written letters

I have many postcards for sale here and elsewhere and some are from the Trenches in WW1 written in pencil and are still very legible also many cards from the 60’s and 70’s written in biro which are very readable in fact there is one for sale from 1955 on Ebid which you can read, so I am surprised at your times for legibility.

There are 2 parts to producing an archival document.

First, the ink (rather than the type of pen) should be permanent and non-acidic. You want your biro to contain an ink (or accept a refill cartridge) that is "ISO 12757-2" compliant. Searching the Internet on that term should give you various options. Graphite pencil will last, but is vulnerable to smudging when handling, due to the softness of the graphite-clay mix.

The second factor is the paper on which you will be writing. You want an acid-free paper or card that contains no wood pulp or other ingredients which will cause the paper to yellow, become brittle and/or affect the ink. An acid-free 100% cotton rag stock is usually a good choice.

Physicians, solicitors and others who must retain long-term records use both the ISO 12757-2 compliant pens and acid-free rag paper stock, so most office supply shops usually carry both of these - though you may need to ask a knowledgeable sales person. Archival-quality pens/inks and paper stock are also available online.
    Last edited by rocks2dust; 7th November 2018 at 07:15 AM.

Poulton-le-fylde, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View Gill's Feedback (+517)
    All-About Gill
    View Gill's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thank you rocks2dust this is much appreciated information and hopefully max will understand why I asked the question.

Now I have the info needed, hopefully, I can move forward.
    Gill (pronounced Jill) "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful" William Morris 1834 - 1896

Thread Information