Thread: Another request for handmade as a top level catagory please

Ipswich - The Jewel Of The East -, Suffolk, United Kingdom
    View squern's Feedback (+2196)
    All-About squern
    View squern's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Another request for handmade as a top level catagory please

To give another analogy:

If you went into a cake shop you would find cakes, not the ingredients.
    If you want the ingredients for a cake, you go to the supermarket.

View purplestevie's Feedback (+8205)
    All-About purplestevie
    View purplestevie's Listings
    Forum Posts

There are lots of stand alone HANDMADE sites (not going to mention them) and therefore ebid needs a stand alone handmade category.
    Remember lots of EBID sellers currently list their handmade items at these rival sites.
    Does EBID want all the cake or just a slice???

Poulton-le-fylde, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View Gill's Feedback (+517)
    All-About Gill
    View Gill's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eBid_Andy View Post
    We are currently looking at making Handmade a top level category. The sub categories would remain and move up accordingly. As handmade is currently part of the Crafts category would there be any sub categories from crafts that would benefit from being under the handmade umbrella.. any suggestions welcome.
    The sub cats currently under the Handmade Goods umbrella belong where they are. Perspective craft buyers would look in this category for items they wished to buy to make their handmade goods - as stated in Art & Painting Supplies, Floral Supplies, Jewellery Making. Personally, I believe the Category should have the title of Craft Supplies rather than crafts and sewing.

The Handmade top level category will need Cards with the current sub cats already in use under crafts and sewing, along with Jewellery and the sub cats already in use.

I would also suggest to start you off, with sub cats that can be added to:
    Knitted
    Crochet
    Lace
    Wood

I'm sure there are many, many others but to see, 'We have 180803 things for sale from 5782 British designers' on another site means eBid gets a crumb rather than a slice of the cake.

It's nearly 9 months since you replied to this thread Andy and 4 months since your last reply. Please own this request and act on it rather than pushing it to the back burner.
    Gill (pronounced Jill) "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful" William Morris 1834 - 1896

I follow, but rarely buy, the production of hand made musical instruments (i.e. not mass produced in a factory). If looking for a guitar, I'd expect the sequence to be "musical instruments>guitar>hand made". I've read this thread over the months several times and fail to see the logic. It's a language thing. Some language groups put the descriptor (the adjective) before the noun as does English. (e.g. green door); others put the noun first and the adjective second (door green). The logic is that it is the noun which is important and the adjective is secondary. It is why things get listed as "stripes, sergeants for the use of".

If your main category is an adjective (hand made) then there must be a noun "understood". There is only one noun which could be understood here, and it is "things" or perhaps "items". Whether you are selling soap, soup or sausages it means you are duplicating the noun which is the actual item being offered as you have factory produced articles in each case as well.

All-About Gill
    View Gill's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cambrensis View Post
    I follow, but rarely buy, the production of hand made musical instruments (i.e. not mass produced in a factory). If looking for a guitar, I'd expect the sequence to be "musical instruments>guitar>hand made". I've read this thread over the months several times and fail to see the logic. It's a language thing. Some language groups put the descriptor (the adjective) before the noun as does English. (e.g. green door); others put the noun first and the adjective second (door green). The logic is that it is the noun which is important and the adjective is secondary. It is why things get listed as "stripes, sergeants for the use of".

If your main category is an adjective (hand made) then there must be a noun "understood". There is only one noun which could be understood here, and it is "things" or perhaps "items". Whether you are selling soap, soup or sausages it means you are duplicating the noun which is the actual item being offered as you have factory produced articles in each case as well.
    Cam - It's been a very long time since I was at school but after reading, re-reading and reading your post again it does make sense.

Are you eBid Andy in disguise?
    Gill (pronounced Jill) "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful" William Morris 1834 - 1896

Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    Cam - It's been a very long time since I was at school but after reading, re-reading and reading your post again it does make sense.

Are you eBid Andy in disguise?
    Nay Gill! Just a very old retired schoolmaster who is still fascinated by language.

All-About Gill
    View Gill's Listings
    Forum Posts

I'm fascinated by language too. Have you mastered the oohjimiwotsit language yet as I'm still having trouble with it

I'm now going up the wooden hill so good night to you and all readers.

Laurencekirk, Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom
    View Maelbrigda's Feedback (+2605)
    All-About Maelbrigda
    View Maelbrigda's Listings
    Forum Posts

But even if that were so crafts still would be the wrong place for handmade items. If we follow Cam's logic then there should be a handmade section under many catagories as there is for soap.
    I just feel that in the current market, where handmade is now sought after, that having a top level handmade catagory would make sense
    Simply Handmade all my handmade items
    Maelbrigda's Bits and Pieces For Clothing and Jewellery, Ornaments, Odds & Ends & Much More
    Craft Store Crafty bits & pieces. Patterns, Card, Yarn, Stamps and more
    Books, Blu Rays, DVD's, CD's and Vinyl Records
    https://www.ebid.net/uk/stores/The-Pagan-Tree

Please have a look. I combine postage wherever possible.

View madelaine's Feedback (+5872)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

That, Penni, is the real problem - handmade is hidden under crafts - like, as has been said, putting cakes in the same place as flour & sugar.
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

Quote Originally Posted by madelaine View Post
    That, Penni, is the real problem - handmade is hidden under crafts - like, as has been said, putting cakes in the same place as flour & sugar.
    Absolutely correct - I had noticed your earlier point on this and apologise for not referring to it. Using my earlier example of a hand made guitar - I should never dream of searching for this under hand made at a top level; I should search under musical instruments> guitar>hand made.

That a change is needed is clear, and Madeleine makes the point well.
    Last edited by cambrensis; 9th November 2014 at 11:42 AM.

Thread Information