All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Some ideas for ebid - No 1 - Change the name

Quote Originally Posted by MPS16 View Post
    Dont take up gambling.

Its actually 20 to 1 against

Not 1 to 20 on a name change.
    Whichever, it is an irrelevance. Such a change, even consideration of such, is a decision for eBid. Even if it were 5 million to 1 for a change of name it would still be irellevant.

That's why this whole series (at least to date) is a pointless exercise. Not even anything new put forward that deserves debate - even if such debate is pointless.
    Last edited by astral276; 19th March 2014 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Stupid tablet spellchecker

Forum Diehard
    Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View cerealmunkee's Feedback (+1334)
    All-About cerealmunkee
    View cerealmunkee's Listings
    Forum Posts

It wasn't that long ago that Ebid themselves had to concede that the site isn't really an auction venue, but instead earns its living by offering fixed price listings. Remember..... when the "after auction log" changed to the "after sale log"?.....this was to reflect the direction in which the site had moved....according to Ebid themselves.
    Now....i don't actually believe that the name Ebid is all that far out of touch with the sites intentions. Sure enough .... most of main selling carried out over here is on a fixed price basis....but in all reality, will this always continue to be the case?

I'm thinking about the internet browsers who love twiddling with their mobile devices. They do this not only while at home , but when they're situated elsewhere, and i reckon that the mobile apps are going to give the site a major boost in notoriety, amongst those who matter....namely buyers and prospective new sellers.
    we have a recently registered seller here who prefers to trade their watches via an auction and they manage to attract interest, and sell by using the auction format....they even attracted new users who registered simply to get in on their auctions, this is one random example that i chose to study and there have to be more of the same......don't there?

When more sellers decide to trade on this site, then i believe that more auctions will appear, so i'm not sue that the name Ebid is so irrelevant.
    There's also the major time factor to figure in when considering a name change of the site....i mean how long would it take for people to become familiar with any new name that the site owners chose?

So....maybe any idea put forward of the site changing its name could at this time be premature.

i think the name change is a good idea but to just change the name for the sake of it would be meaningless, the new name would need to be both descriptive so people know what it is and it would also need give people a reason to buy and sell on here instead of on ebay,
    unfortunately the business model of this site is currently "ebay minus the traffic" i expect the main reason most people try selling on here is because they have been kicked off of ebay.
    there needs to be a good clear reason why you would want to buy and sell here rather than ebay and the name needs to reflect that reason.
    some examples:

BitcoinBay - reason acceptance of crypto currencies
    FreeBay - reason no fees to sell
    RewardBay - reason earn rewards for buying on the site

i can certainly see why a name change without a good reason would do more harm than good though

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    Forum Posts

www.betterthanebay.com seems to have already been snaffled.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixautosport View Post
    i expect the main reason most people try selling on here is because they have been kicked off of ebay.
    there needs to be a good clear reason why you would want to buy and sell here rather than ebay and the name needs to reflect that reason.
    That is an utterly appalling comment. I came here because the overall platform is much better than the bay - I finished with the bay out of choice, my choice.

I think you will find that the vast majority of people selling on eBid have full selling rights on the bay, a lot will sell on both and a much smaller number (including me) only sell here on eBid.

Quote Originally Posted by deanosaur1972 View Post
    That is an utterly appalling comment. I came here because the overall platform is much better than the bay - I finished with the bay out of choice, my choice.

I think you will find that the vast majority of people selling on eBid have full selling rights on the bay, a lot will sell on both and a much smaller number (including me) only sell here on eBid.

I'm the same as deanosaur, I came over here of mt own free will. Being one of the "part-time" sellers of low cost items, selling as a hobby, items collected over the years and items given to me by friends and family. Being something of a hoarder, I have lots of boxes of stuff that every now and then I take a look at and decide to list.

Because of the way I list I don't want to pay the high selling fees charged elsewhere.

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by deanosaur1972 View Post

Same here. I saw the writing on the wall at eBay in 2008 and sought out an alternative - arriving at eBid. My eBay selling account is still active at eBay, but I have never had the desire to make use of it since the day I signed up to eBid.

Though let's face it, likely the majority the do get 'kicked off eBay' nowadays get removed to suit eBay's grand plan and not for any wrongdoing.

View madelaine's Feedback (+5872)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

I am another who started to list here as a reaction to oppressive policies on the dark side. My other reason is that I know that few monopolists can resist exercising their power so I supported eBid when it wasn't worth it! When I started I sold only in YDC. I still have 3 accounts there and I use them when it suits me. However, I would not make a profit on many of my items if I sold them there.
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

I came on here thanks to someone posting a special 24 hr offer of eBid membership on one of eBay's boards. This offer remained there - complete with link (those who censor take note!) and many of us joined up at the special rate. As far as I can see, the majority are still over there - including me.

Poulton-le-fylde, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View Gill's Feedback (+517)
    All-About Gill
    View Gill's Listings
    Forum Posts

Julie - If you aren't being negative about eBid why do you suggest the name is changed?

Also, will you be paying for new business cards to be printed where needs be? At my guess that equates to a few thousand so I hope your pockets are deep.

The eBid name does not need changing to orang-utan, monkey, koala, any colour in the rainbow or whatever.
    Gill (pronounced Jill) "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful" William Morris 1834 - 1896

Thread Information