Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Some ideas for ebid - No 1 - Change the name

Poulton-le-fylde, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View Gill's Feedback (+517)
    All-About Gill
    View Gill's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Some ideas for ebid - No 1 - Change the name

Ebid is probably not a good name for ebid as it is now.
    Why not? eBid has been going from strength to strength over the last 10 years.

It may have been once.

If the boys were starting today do you think they would choose ebid.
    Why not?

Ebid conjures up bidding on the internet.
    Bidding still occurs on eBid.

Most sales are made by Fixed price.
    And your point is?

If in the future the boys wanted to expand into other activities eg car sales, real estate, jobs, ebid would not suit any of those activities
    Why can't one bid on cars and real estate? Jobs have never been up for auction or sale and never will be.

No - change the name now I say.
    The majority like eBid as is.

As I said it will be easy to do, and it won't cost ebid much at all. Its an online business, they don't have offices to repaint, stationary to redo.
    Why don't they have stationery to re-print? I do believe they will still have bills to pay.

(One thing I had not thought of was the ebid T-shirts and and ebid tape you might have bought.)

You will still have the T shirts to wear and can still use the tape.
    Why wear t-shirts and use the tape with old logo. Oh yes, I can see just what using old logos/colours etc. does for eBid and it doesn't do anything for members trying to make an impression to the outside world or their buyers.

Most of the ebid youtube videos look old and out of date.
    Don't look at so I won't comment.

Yes the ebid logo is good (for the name ebid and an auction site) but its not an auction site. (it does not even show bids!)
    Not showing bids does not make eBid a non-auction site. The management have yet to implement this request which has been asked for previously.

A new name also says - Hey were are moving ahead, and changing our business and it gives some opportunity for media reports etc.
    Why?

Every major insurance company in New Zealand changed its name from a 19th century 3 or 4 word name to a new one word name that has nothing to do with insurance. (I don't think many of their customers left them because they did not like the new name)
    Bravo to the insurance companies in NZ who changed their name. The last time I looked eBid wasn't and never will be an insurance company.

I did not mean to spend much time on the ebid.com situation, we all know the story there.
    No need to mention it then.

But a new name - eg Sparkle or Purple and the ability to say or write Sparkle.com or Purple.com would be a great advantage to attracting new buyers and sellers.
    I can see where Purple comes from (Orange) and I guess you chose Sparkle because of the NZ comms company.
    So ignoring those 2 names what is your suggestion for such a great name that eBid will say, 'Oh yes, we must use that! Let's spend a fortune on changing everything as it will make us the best on the net and we will have the monopoly.'

So have another think ?
    All the answers above are my opinion and my opinion only Julie and I did try to reply to your PM. Unfortunately your inbox was full.
    Last edited by Mark; 15th March 2014 at 04:21 AM.
    Gill (pronounced Jill) "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful" William Morris 1834 - 1896

View Juliebabe25's Feedback (+39)
    All-About Juliebabe25
    View Juliebabe25's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by squern View Post
    Where is the evidence for the sweeping statements you make ( WHY isn't eBid a good name?)
    Do you know that most sales are made by Fixed Price? I've had several bidders.
    I have given several reasons why it is not a good name (today)
    I am sure that most ebid members would agree that most sales on here are made by Fixed Price.
    (Then again I also agree that auctions have their place.)

Forum Master
    View tony41's Feedback (+10028)
    All-About tony41
    View tony41's Listings
    Forum Posts

I agree with everything Gill has said.
    I also agree with the other comments which indicate that we should stop this madness now.
    And Julie, why only answer one of Squern points.

All-About Juliebabe25
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tony41 View Post
    I agree with everything Gill has said.
    I also agree with the other comments which indicate that we should stop this madness now.
    And Julie, why only answer one of Squern points.
    Because if I answered every point I would be here all day, and would be accused of being negative and then the thread would be removed.

Hi, I don't think changing the name of an "established"? biz is such a great idea. Could confuse the confusable haha. Ya, that bad silly guy with his .com... Just don't like him. However, might it be a good idea to have? Don't know what he wants. Maybe there is some legal way to redirect from there to here? We could add names to what we are now but I would not change it. Just my opinion. At the other place where I DO have sales, I do most of my biz via on site email barter/bid. They still get their cut. Rules are rules. It's fun and I enjoy it more than the customers auctioning against each other. I always get a decent price too, well minus their outrageous cut. In addition to and while making personal contact with, new friends along the way. So, no auctions for sales as far back as I can recall. Any others just pay and are on their way. Those are very smooth and best of course. So Julie says (Hi ) if it were being started today the name would not work. Well, because we don't have a crystal ball... But as I said, maybe we could add to it. Make different "avenues"? Like direct people somehow to...Bid, Auction, Fixed, Offer etc. We kinda do that now but maybe you have an improved way? I just think a name change would add another extra kink we do not need. OK or maybe another name that redirects. Think I'm big on that. The more redirects the better! The "Bonanza" name thing is pretty obvious. Of course it would do better. Wouldn't Ebid come up in any search for "bid'? So...There is my 2c or whatever ya call it. Don't change but add, add, add... REDIRECT as much as possible. What ever it takes to let people know who, what, where and how we are. Love, Love, Love this place. I think it's best attribute is the personalness of it. That there are REAL PEOPLE who care and are like a family almost. People who are fed up with (there are a lot) the impersonal, no human help, can't find an answer if you try all day, costs/fees/double dipping, screw the small seller etc attitudes and treatments elsewhere. This is the new day of internet online but we are the most personal in that world and I believe that means something. It is valuable and means a lot to me. Hugs to all my Ebid.Buds Many Happy Sales to All!!!
    Last edited by Ebideclectics; 15th March 2014 at 01:40 AM.

View sidthelamp's Feedback (+541)
    All-About sidthelamp
    View sidthelamp's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Juliebabe25 View Post
    Because if I answered every point I would be here all day, and would be accused of being negative and then the thread would be removed.
    the simple answer too that is dont ask the question then.

if you put forward ideas and you get a response its not just manners to reply it flaws your original question if you cant answer a question about it , whos going to take you seriously if you cant answer questions about your original idea, if your predetermining an answer as being negative to the subject in hand which are you ideas to begin with, its pretty clear by your own admission your ideas are not exactly gonna go down well, which does seem to be the case.

As for changing the name of ebid , the concept of name changing has no justification ebid is not stagnant it gains new members every day buyers and sellers , why would anyone change a name of a company thats attracting trade every day, theres no logic at all to your suggestion, the reverse would only justify looking at the changing a brand name, which again is clearly not the case, the other matter of brand changing is i dont wont my customers confronted with a name change its pretty clear to any normal person there gonna question the reason WHY, anything that could possible put doubt into a customers mind has got to be a bad idea.
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/under pressure

MY ATTITUDE IS A RESULT OF YOUR ACTIONS!!!
    IF YOU DONT LIKE IT BLAME YOURSELF.

All-About Juliebabe25
    Forum Posts

I just came up with one more reason for changing the name.

If someone does a search for a product they want to buy on Google (or even Google Shopping or Bing) then they see a link half way down to a site they have never heard of called ebid, they may not bother clicking on it as ebid sounds like its an auction site, when maybe what they want is a Buy now.
    Last edited by Juliebabe25; 15th March 2014 at 03:56 AM.

All-About Juliebabe25
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sidthelamp View Post

As for changing the name of ebid , the concept of name changing has no justification ebid is not stagnant it gains new members every day buyers and sellers , why would anyone change a name of a company thats attracting trade every day, theres no logic at all to your suggestion, the reverse would only justify looking at the changing a brand name, which again is clearly not the case, the other matter of brand changing is i dont wont my customers confronted with a name change its pretty clear to any normal person there gonna question the reason WHY, anything that could possible put doubt into a customers mind has got to be a bad idea.
    Here is a personal reply to your reply
    If the name was changed, then in say 6 months any new prospective buyers or sellers would not even think about why ebid changed its name to the new name.

View sidthelamp's Feedback (+541)
    All-About sidthelamp
    View sidthelamp's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Juliebabe25 View Post
    I just came up with one more reason for changing the name.

If someone does a search for a product they want to buy on Google (or even Google Shopping or Bing) then they see a link half way down to a site they have never heard of called ebid, they may not bother clicking on it as ebid sounds like its an auction site, when maybe what they want is a Buy now.
    then if they read the product description there in for a nice surprise
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/under pressure

MY ATTITUDE IS A RESULT OF YOUR ACTIONS!!!
    IF YOU DONT LIKE IT BLAME YOURSELF.

All-About Juliebabe25
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sidthelamp View Post
    then if they read the product description they're in for a nice surprise
    Yes if they do, they maybe they will be.

Thread Information