eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213

Thread: Some ideas for ebid - No 1 - Change the name

View Juliebabe25's Feedback (+39)
    All-About Juliebabe25
    View Juliebabe25's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Some ideas for ebid - No 1 - Change the name

The thing is. it would not cost ebid much or anything to change the name.
    No massive advertising campaign is needed, as it could be handled through the blog and the newsletter and a commonly used practice of keeping the old domain name going with a link on it to say that we have now changed our name to .. XYZ

Also some of you have said that not many companies have changed their name successfully.

As I said here in NZ we had about 10 insurance companies with long old fashioned names, now they all have catchy 6 letter names and they are all still going.
    I would be willing to bet that the same phenomenon has happened all around the world..

It could easily have a high cost and could lead to a similar problem with the .com buying up the required domains. And with a name change you almost certainly have to advertise that fact to existing customers and new customers. And that leaves sellers and eBid exactly where they are now unless the money fairy has turned up. We all want sales to double or triple overnight but at least for now I am happy with the steady sales progress that is being made.

Forum Saint
    View adruml's Feedback (+1138)
    All-About adruml
    View adruml's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Juliebabe25 View Post
    No massive advertising campaign is needed, as it could be handled through the blog and the newsletter and a commonly used practice of keeping the old domain name going with a link on it to say that we have now changed our name to .. XYZ

Also some of you have said that not many companies have changed their name successfully.

As I said here in NZ we had about 10 insurance companies with long old fashioned names, now they all have catchy 6 letter names and they are all still going.
    I would be willing to bet that the same phenomenon has happened all around the world..

Yes, it has happened all around the world. Most were a boost, not a start.
    Changing the name or domain won't mean squat if not many know or care about a company.
    Flogging an almost dead horse.
    Cheerleed away if you all must, eBid does not have the marketing skills to make a difference.
    Keep listing and selling as you have been for over 15 years and keep building on that. Who knows in another 15 years the site might be twice as popular or maybe even 50 times more. Not enough. Too much, too little too late.

Poulton-le-fylde, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View Gill's Feedback (+517)
    All-About Gill
    View Gill's Listings
    Forum Posts

eBid has a catchy 4 letter name and are still going 15 years later after becoming a business without name changes. So, your point is?
    Gill (pronounced Jill) "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful" William Morris 1834 - 1896

View Juliebabe25's Feedback (+39)
    All-About Juliebabe25
    View Juliebabe25's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    eBid has a catchy 4 letter name and are still going 15 years later after becoming a business without name changes. So, your point is?
    It depend on your definition of going strong.
    And yes its a catchy name.
    But most online sales are made with Buy Now not auctions.

View FBNeNotes's Feedback (+1108)
    All-About FBNeNotes
    View FBNeNotes's Listings
    Forum Posts

This message is hidden because Juliebabe25 is on your ignore list.

View sidthelamp's Feedback (+541)
    All-About sidthelamp
    View sidthelamp's Listings
    Forum Posts

comercial suicide is what your advocating . the only time companies change there name is if there going bust, or merging
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/under pressure

MY ATTITUDE IS A RESULT OF YOUR ACTIONS!!!
    IF YOU DONT LIKE IT BLAME YOURSELF.

View sidthelamp's Feedback (+541)
    All-About sidthelamp
    View sidthelamp's Listings
    Forum Posts

Do name changes save struggling companies?

Not usually. Most studies show that a name change has either little effect on a business’s long-term prospects or a mildly negative impact. A study of U.K. corporations, for example, showed that name-changers underperform compared with the overall stock market by almost 10 percent over the three years following the switch. That’s on average. Subdividing the data makes the future look even bleaker for BlackBerry, because the companies that tend to profit from name changes are fledgling businesses. When a new company changes names, it’s usually to broaden its product offerings or market reach. (A young company called Tokyo Tsushin Kogyo changed to Sony in 1958 so that Western consumers would have an easier time pronouncing the brand name.) When an established company changes names, it’s usually to break out of a slump—and it rarely works. Research in Motion/BlackBerry has seen its stock pricedrop 90 % since its 2008 high. Corporations with falling stock prices prior to a name change perform even worse in the three years afterward, in part because the move smacks of desperation to investors. Shareholders don’t seem overly impressed with Research in Motion’s new moniker at this point. Although companies, on average, get a minor 4 percent bump in the days immediately following a name change, BlackBerry’s stock is down 12 % after Wednesday’s announcement.
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/under pressure

MY ATTITUDE IS A RESULT OF YOUR ACTIONS!!!
    IF YOU DONT LIKE IT BLAME YOURSELF.

Thread Information