eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 109 FirstFirst 12345678910111252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Scottish Independence... What are your thoughts?

View MPS16's Feedback (+3501)
    All-About MPS16
    View MPS16's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Scottish Independence... What are your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by damian_steele View Post
    I think that so far all I personally have heard on the topic has been wrapped up in so much political BS....
    One of the many lies made by Mr Fish is that an independant Scotland will be able to easily join the EU.

The Spanish government centred in Madrid will put up all sorts of barriers because of their fear that if it is made easy for Scotland to join then Catalonia will break away from Spain.
    Please Visit My Stores

Meccano Shop
    Postcards Shop
    Stamps Shop
    DVD Shop

I'm free-I'm free
    And freedom tastes of reality
    I'm free-I'm free
    And I'm waiting for you to follow me

TOMMY

Forum Diehard
    View PetBazaar's Feedback (+41)
    All-About PetBazaar
    View PetBazaar's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by damian_steele View Post
    I think that so far all I personally have heard on the topic has been wrapped up in so much political BS that I can't dig out what's true from what isn't. I hope that the Scottish people have managed to find some more honest sources of information to help them make up their minds.
    That's one of the problems in the whole situation. The arguments are overly political and mainly involved in political point scoring and spreading misinformation. The "No" campaign is relentlessly negative and is commonly known as "Project Fear", the "Yes" campaign is so positive as to be beyond belief.

What the debate needs is some balance where folk say: Yes it'll be tough but here how you gain and here's how you lose. Unfortunately that's just not happening, the newspapers are rabidly unionist, with maybe one more balanced exception. Even the BBC is showing a "No" bias.

Quote Originally Posted by MPS16 View Post
    One of the many lies made by Mr Fish is that an independant Scotland will be able to easily join the EU.

The Spanish government centred in Madrid will put up all sorts of barriers because of their fear that if it is made easy for Scotland to join then Catalonia will break away from Spain.
    Not just Spain, but possibly Belgium too, for the same reason. But what's overlooked is that there is no historical precedent for this to happen where part of a country that's a member of the EU disintegrates. No one really knows what will happen.

Interestingly, your use of "Mr Fish" and accusations of making up lies sounds exactly like the "No" campaign up here.

All-About MPS16
    View MPS16's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PetBazaar View Post
    ...Interestingly, your use of "Mr Fish" and accusations of making up lies sounds exactly like the "No" campaign up here.
    Looking on the bright side if Scotland does leave the UK then their will be about 60 less Labour MPS sitting in Westminster.
    Please Visit My Stores

Meccano Shop
    Postcards Shop
    Stamps Shop
    DVD Shop

I'm free-I'm free
    I'm free-I'm free

TOMMY

Forum Saint
    View Pink_Panther's Feedback (+177)
    All-About Pink_Panther
    View Pink_Panther's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MPS16 View Post
    Looking on the bright side if Scotland does leave the UK then their will be about 60 less Labour MPS sitting in Westminster.
    ​I got a bit dyslexic then!

All-About MPS16
    View MPS16's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pink_Panther View Post
    ​I got a bit dyslexic then!
    Another below the belt comment.
    Please Visit My Stores

Meccano Shop
    Postcards Shop
    Stamps Shop
    DVD Shop

I'm free-I'm free
    I'm free-I'm free

TOMMY

Stratford, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View billsstamps's Feedback (+31360)
    All-About billsstamps
    View billsstamps's Listings
    Forum Posts

Another separate ebid country? No, I wouldn't vote for thay.
    Rev Dr Bill Hopkinson,
    Retired professor

BillsStamps

around 50000 stamps listed, based in London

It is incorrect to say that Mr Salmond has lied about it being easy for Scotland to join the European Union. Whilst he has his own particular political bias in this matter, it is important for people south of the border who do not know him very well not to underestimate him as a politician. He is a highly skilled and honourable politician and would not lie.

To get to the truth at the heart of the matter of Scotland’s membership of the European Union rather than be misinformed by elements of the popular press and by politicians with their own agendas it is necessary to refer back to European Union law.

The current Treaty of the European Union as amended by the treaty of Lisbon has the following provisions regarding leaving and joining the European Union:

Article 50 of the Treaty contains the basis in European Union law for a country to leave the European Union.

Article 49 of the Treaty contains the basis in European Union law for a country to join the European Union.

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/...13:0046:en:PDF

As you can see, there are no specific clauses in the Treaty to address the issues arising when a member State of the European Union separates into two or more independent new States.

The Scottish Government would not wish for Scotland to leave the European Union in the event of Independence from the rest of what is currently the United Kingdom so would not act in accordance with Article 50. If it does not leave in accordance with Article 50, then it would not be possible for it to rejoin in accordance with Article 49 because it would still be a member of the European Union. Hence Mr Salmond’s correct assertion that in the event of a yes vote in the referendum, it will be necessary to work through Scotland’s status with the European Union in the post referendum period.

Articles 49 and 50 are the only elements of European Union law relating to the Scottish question. The Spanish Prime Minister might feel very uncomfortable to realise that they are also the only elements of European Union law relating to the Catalan question but he would have to act in accordance with Articles 49 and 50 of the Treaty in respect of both the Scots and the Catalans.

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

I remember hearing about this (not enough unfortunately, while every Congressional sneeze or fart is recorded for posterity, ugh) and wondering what eBidders thought, especially those in the UK. It sounds like some think this is a bad idea. Anyone think it's a good one? Curious what brought this whole question about after 300+ years.

Reminds me a bit of the Quebecois (sorry for the likely incorrect spelling, my French is non-existent, especially the spelling of French words) wanting to secede from Canada a while back, though that didn't pan out.

Best wishes for many sales to all,
    Last edited by suesjools; 16th January 2014 at 04:42 PM.

Actually the facts are pretty clear.
    The big difference will be that Scotland's future will be in our own hands. Instead of only deciding some issues here in Scotland, independence will allow us to take decisions on all the major issues. That is the reality of independence in this interdependent world.
    Scotland gets 9.3% of UK spending, but generates 9.9% of UK taxes. Scotland's finances are stronger than the UK's as a whole to the tune of £4.4 billion - that's £824 for every man, woman and child in Scotland.
    Figures released in January 2012 by City firm M&G Investments showed that Scotland’s debt as a percentage of national wealth was smaller than the UK’s. For Scotland it was 56%, for the UK 63% - as the report said, Scotland’s starting point looks better than the UK as a whole.
    And thanks to North Sea oil and gas, worth up to £1.5 trillion, we have one of the best assets for the future - there is more value to come from the North Sea over the next 40 years than has been generated over the last 40. With the powers of independence, we can build up a fund that will last for decades beyond that. Over the next six years, the tax revenues are forecast to be £48 billion.
    as for europe, the only guarrentee we will still stay in europe is to vote for independence as it looks like there will be an in out refurendum held by westminster in 2 years.

Scotland has been a member of the EU for 40 years and already complies with its body of law. The 18 month period between the referendum and the planned date of formal independence provides sufficient time for discussions settling an independent Scotland’s terms of EU membership. In the current context of devolution the Scottish Government has already demonstrated its capacity to transpose and implement the provisions of EU legislation.

Thread Information