Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 18 of 109 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272868 ... LastLast

Thread: Scottish Independence... What are your thoughts?

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Scottish Independence... What are your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by PetBazaar View Post
    That all depends on whether we get kicked out of the EU or not.

If we do then we'll need to fill the parliament with English born MSPs and then we can all complain about them for the next 200 years.
    The Electorial Commission site, which is more authoritative than the first reference I found, actually gives eligibility as:

a British citizen, an eligible Commonwealth citizen or a citizen of any other member state of the European Union.
    So, again, the definition of a British Citizen post independence is relevant.

Also, if Scotland fails to remain in the EU, would a citizen of another EU state (e.g. Spain) still be allowed to stand for the Scottish government?

Again, a statement made as to what will be the case when Scotland's situation post independence is still unknown.

View MPS16's Feedback (+3501)
    All-About MPS16
    View MPS16's Listings
    Forum Posts

That all depends on whether we get kicked out of the EU or not....
    How can you (Scotland) get kick out of the EU if you you have never been a member of it?

Please dont repeat any of Mr Salmonellas mumbo jumbo.
    Please Visit My Stores

Meccano Shop
    Postcards Shop
    Stamps Shop
    DVD Shop

I'm free-I'm free
    And freedom tastes of reality
    I'm free-I'm free
    And I'm waiting for you to follow me

TOMMY

All-About astral276
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MPS16 View Post
    How can you (Scotland) get kick out of the EU if you you have never been a member of it?
    Some 'experts' have stated that Scotland could remain in the EU post independence and apply for membership in their own right from within.

Those 'experts' though are not the people who will actually decide such matters. So, again, supposition.

Ipswich - The Jewel Of The East -, Suffolk, United Kingdom
    View squern's Feedback (+2196)
    All-About squern
    View squern's Listings
    Forum Posts

Been watching the Winter Olympics.
    It occurs to me that if Scotland go independent, Team GB will not have a curling team.

On the other hand, if predictions of global warming continue true to form, it won't be long before the rest of Britain is frozen over.

So we'll all be able to practice our curling skills down the High Street. Should get a few good players then.

All-About astral276
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by squern View Post
    On the other hand, if predictions of global warming continue true to form, it won't be long before the rest of Britain is frozen over.
    The rate the UK is flooding we may have to invade the new Scotland and take it over for somewhere to live.

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    Some 'experts' have stated that Scotland could remain in the EU post independence and apply for membership in their own right from within.

Those 'experts' though are not the people who will actually decide such matters. So, again, supposition.
    Very true. Like the financial experts from the banks and all parties who are currently shouting dire warnings about the currency!

Until Eire went with the Euro. the Punt and the Pound were the same; an Irish banknote bore the legend "I promise to pay the bearer on demand, in London..." Obviously this had been negotiated. However, if in Fishguard on holiday you'd often be asked in a shop if you minded having Irish coinage in your change. It's quite simple - if they are prepared to accept it, I have no problem either. I'd only refuse if coming back to Essex in a day or so. That was why the question was asked.

A few years back some retailers in North Wales at the time of the International Eisteddfod at Llangollen, started accepting the Euro over the counter as a boost to sales. I'm not speaking of the large chain stores which have tills set up to cope with all currencies; I mean ordinary small retailers. It was so successful that the practice has become much more widespread, now occurs in mid Wales as well and is not confined to the Festival season.

As the experts will find out, it is the people who will decide which currency they are happy to use.

Forum Diehard
    View PetBazaar's Feedback (+41)
    All-About PetBazaar
    View PetBazaar's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MPS16 View Post

Please dont repeat any of Mr Salmonellas mumbo jumbo.
    Um, well because that's what Better Together keep telling us will happen.

Lets start with a fact (don't worry, there might not be any more), and that is that there are MEP's representing Scottish Constituencies. So, unless the European Elections are all a huge practical joke (which I'm willing to concede, they might be) that would be evidence of in-ness, albeit as part of the UK.

Not using any of Mr Salmond's (notice the correct spelling, you may wish to update your spell checker ) mumbo jumbo could be tough and rather forces me to mention what the Leader of the Better Together campaign said. I know it's Alistair Darling but we have to assume that he knows what he's talking about.

He reckons it will take 9 years for Scotland to be accepted as an EU member state. So, given our current state of in-ness the fact that it will take us 9 years to get back to a state of in-ness rather implies a period of out-ness.

On the assumption that we've got no intention of writing a resignation letter, then that sounds to me like we're going to get kicked out. Of course, it could all just be mumbo jumbo from Alistair Darling.

View Brunwulf's Feedback (+90)
    All-About Brunwulf
    View Brunwulf's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    The rate the UK is flooding we may have to invade the new Scotland and take it over for somewhere to live.
    So no change there then .

I would love to see a independent Scotland but there is no chance that it will happen,

Really what sane English person living in Scotland would vote for independence, very few. and with more English votes to Scottish votes its just not going to happen.

Now a vote for more powers for the scottish parliament, that would be worth discussing.

I'm going back to bed

Forum Diehard
    View PetBazaar's Feedback (+41)
    All-About PetBazaar
    View PetBazaar's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brunwulf View Post
    So no change there then .

I would love to see a independent Scotland but there is no chance that it will happen,

Really what sane English person living in Scotland would vote for independence, very few. and with more English votes to Scottish votes its just not going to happen.

Now a vote for more powers for the scottish parliament, that would be worth discussing.

I'm going back to bed
    Eh? More English voters than Scottish voters in Scotland?

Has the invasion started early, without us noticing?

View Brunwulf's Feedback (+90)
    All-About Brunwulf
    View Brunwulf's Listings
    Forum Posts

Eh? More English voters than Scottish voters in Scotland?

Has the invasion started early, without us noticing?
    What i should've said is its only natural someone born in England or Wales thats then moved to Scotland and eligible to vote would not want independence from their birth place.

Only my opinion.

Thread Information