Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RUS versus Timed Auctions

Default RUS versus Timed Auctions

RUS (Run Until Sold) versus Time Listing !

Why not have a Store just for RUS items and another for Timed Listing lots ?

We all know RUS items get pushed back by Timed lots so why not have both as Stores of one or the other. ?

Remember though no duplication of the title and after the 365 day RUS run they would be converted to Timed Auctions.
    A small change in the Title when 'listing the same' solves the duplication problem.

The advantage I see is more listing.
    Suitable for available multiple stock (not dutch auctions)
    The choice of the buyer to buy a RUS if outbid on a timed auction - second chance.
    The seller gets to compare views and sees what works best for him or her.

The disadvantages
    may be that when an item is sold (last stock item) the lot is not terminated on either the timed or RUS auction. So the seller needs to manually amend.
    This could be addressed with some neat programming.

Running A RUS and a duplicated Timed Stores may not work for all commodities but would for sure shot up listing figures and good overview to the seller of what works best.

If you have change of heart (venture) you could just close the Store.

What do other say ?

View HerMajesty's Feedback (+1863)
    All-About HerMajesty
    View HerMajesty's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: RUS versus Timed Auctions

seems like a good idea to me!
    Ta-Ta for now!

HerMajesty

Slide Inn for Vintage 35mm photographic slides
    https://uk.ebid.net/stores/Slide-Inn

ALSO!! Click below to see my store, THE BEE'S KNEES!
    https://the-bees-knees.ebid.net

View JanetB's Feedback (+1175)
    All-About JanetB
    View JanetB's Listings
    Forum Posts

This is exactly what I love about eBid - so many selling variations/options available with 5 free stores to make this possible.

Indeed, such positive posts is what we need to see, instead of the site demolishers who certainly need be elsewhere.

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Duplicate listings (i.e. multiple listings of the same item by a single seller) are not allowed. Simply massaging the titles to circumvent this rule so you can list the same item as both RUS and timed listings would still break that rule.

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    Duplicate listings (i.e. multiple listings of the same item by a single seller) are not allowed. Simply massaging the titles to circumvent this rule so you can list the same item as both RUS and timed listings would still break that rule.
    Presently Timed auctions push RUS back. So some use either RUS or Timed auctions for their stores making RUS lots less visible on the forefront.

Now we have conflicting rules.

I was told in some thread after my duplicates were draconianly removed when I was a newbie that exact titles (knowing they can easily be searched) are removed from admin.

Fine I have adhered to the latter rule to the letter, pardon the pun !

Now you tell me that -
    >> Simply massaging the titles to circumvent this rule so you can list the same item as both RUS and timed listings would still break that rule.<<

Yes I did change the Titles of a number of listing for the following reasons.

1 To have oversight and to be able to gauge which are viewed more RUS or timed auctions.

2 No duplicate listing would be in the same store or category of the same store.

3 The idea is to have one listing in the RUS Store the other in a Timed auction store.2

4 Giving a RUS or timed auction an equal chance of a sale.

5 Moving the listing up with quality items or sets not just single stamps.

6 Not all my duplicate timed auctions would be RUS, or vice versa.

7 Having just over 500 lots on offer the stamp offers would hardly explode the total quantity

8 Not all buyers look everywhere some in RUS or Timed auction only - listing in both offers a greater
    chance of a purchase and is that not what it is all about ?

9 If I were to pass away my executor could change all Timed auction to $1.00 and remove the RUS.

10 The latter again would still bring some revenue to eBid and my lots go for a song.

11 Ultimately offering the buyers an immediate choice without the speculation (by choice) of a buy now figure.

With all due respect, your post reads more like a threat which could have been better served as PM.

I could have seen this post as a personal attack (being no PM) even though some ruling exists and gone into a hissy fit and just delete the whole damn lot from eBid much to the pleasure of the eBid doomsday critics.

But then again in your own words:-
    >>This page is not affiliated with, sanctioned, or supported by eBid.
    Any issues regarding it should be addressed to me and not to eBid.<<

Or maybe a site may live through change than antiquate !?.

Poulton-le-fylde, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View Gill's Feedback (+517)
    All-About Gill
    View Gill's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by philactica View Post
    RUS (Run Until Sold) versus Time Listing !

Why not have a Store just for RUS items and another for Timed Listing lots ?

We all know RUS items get pushed back by Timed lots so why not have both as Stores of one or the other. ?

Remember though no duplication of the title and after the 365 day RUS run they would be converted to Timed Auctions.
    A small change in the Title when 'listing the same' solves the duplication problem.

The advantage I see is more listing.
    Suitable for available multiple stock (not dutch auctions)
    The choice of the buyer to buy a RUS if outbid on a timed auction - second chance.
    The seller gets to compare views and sees what works best for him or her.

The disadvantages
    may be that when an item is sold (last stock item) the lot is not terminated on either the timed or RUS auction. So the seller needs to manually amend.
    This could be addressed with some neat programming.

Running A RUS and a duplicated Timed Stores may not work for all commodities but would for sure shot up listing figures and good overview to the seller of what works best.

If you have change of heart (venture) you could just close the Store.

What do other say ?
    I've read and re-read this post OP and you even state in your post that it would be a duplicate listing which is against the rules.

Yes, eBid would get more listings but they would be duplicates and, from memory, even the other side don't allow duplicates like this.
    Gill (pronounced Jill) "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful" William Morris 1834 - 1896

I am not shying away with a "duplicate listing" as such even massaged LOL.

However each in two different stores, not "duplicated " in the same store

>>...from memory, even the other side don't allow duplicates like this.<<

Some sites even allow duplicated listings which is tolerated to an extend and I can not understand why so many are hung up on the 'other site'

eBid can only be better through change, away from antiquated rules and thinking.

I have seen too many stagnated sites on stamps to know what can improve, not only applicable to stamp though.

Poulton-le-fylde, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View Gill's Feedback (+517)
    All-About Gill
    View Gill's Listings
    Forum Posts

I am not shying away with a "duplicate listing" as such even massaged LOL.

However each in two different stores, not "duplicated " in the same store

>>...from memory, even the other side don't allow duplicates like this.<<

Some sites even allow duplicated listings which is tolerated to an extend and I can not understand why so many are hung up on the 'other site'

eBid can only be better through change, away from antiquated rules and thinking.

I have seen too many stagnated sites on stamps to know what can improve, not only applicable to stamp though.
    A massaged listing is still a duplicate in my book. Put it this way, you have 2 identical stamps. You put one of those stamps into your RUS store and the other into your AUCTION store. The photograph will be exactly the same. You state $5 BIN in the RUS store and start the auction store at $1. If the BIN price is the minimum price you will accept you will lose $4 on the auction as potential buyers will see the same stamp and will go for the lower price. Auction wars on eBid don't exist yet.

Duplicated listings on eBid are not tolerated which I agree with and, if I see one, I will report it..

I've been with eBid for 6 years and, I think many members will agree, there is room for improvement on this site but we all like the low cost of listing and fvf's. The management will get it right one day and I hope to be here when they do.
    Gill (pronounced Jill) "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful" William Morris 1834 - 1896

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Now we have conflicting rules.
    No we don't. eBid's listing rules are at:http://uk.ebid.net/help_selling.php#29 - which includes the rules concerning multiple item listings.

I was told in some thread after my duplicates were draconianly removed when I was a newbie that exact titles (knowing they can easily be searched) are removed from admin.

What you say you were told was either wrong or you misunderstood what was said. It is not OK to manipulate titles in order to post multiple listings of identical items (or, as you are suggesting, multiple listings for the same item). It is OK where you have several similar items and you need to make the titles different in order to prevent eBid's bots erroneously picking them up as duplicate listings.

With all due respect, your post reads more like a threat which could have been better served as PM.

With comparable 'due respect'... If you managed to find any indication of a 'threat' in my post then you must have issues that extend far beyond me or my response to your post.

I could have seen this post as a personal attack (being no PM) even though some ruling exists and gone into a hissy fit and just delete the whole damn lot from eBid much to the pleasure of the eBid doomsday critics.

Your toys and your pram; you must do as you deem fit.

Why should have I PM'd you??? You posted to a public forum and I replied in kind. There was nothing in my post that could be deemed of a 'private' nature. If you cannot cope when someone doesn't agree with you then public forums may not be the best vehicle for you to use.

I merely pointed out that what you were suggesting was in breach of eBid's rules as they stand. If you feel those rules need changing then suggest such to eBid management. Simply ignoring the ones that you don't feel should apply to you is not the way forward.

I think eBid's 'no duplicates' rule is good; it provides a level playing field for both small and big sellers, and I would oppose its removal. That means I don't rate your idea as highly as you clearly do at #4 above (you missed the chance to 5 star rate your own thread there).

But then again in your own words:-
    >>This page is not affiliated with, sanctioned, or supported by eBid.
    Any issues regarding it should be addressed to me and not to eBid.<<

Totally mystified as to why you went to the effort to dig out and quote that particular text. It is entirely unconnected to, and has no bearing on, anything being discussed here.
    Last edited by astral276; 12th January 2014 at 12:37 PM.

Thread Information