Thread: Put Immediate Payment Required On Listings

Forum Master
    View tony41's Feedback (+10028)
    All-About tony41
    View tony41's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: EBid Refuses to Put Immediate Payment Required On Listings

Quote Originally Posted by Poscar View Post
    Yes you did and I agreed with your post and then elaborated on the basic workings of a cart/basket.
    I was not criticising you in any way. I was replying to Lofty who seemed to think the idea was yours.
    I was very pleased with your agreement with and improvement of my suggestion.

Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View lofty100e's Feedback (+74)
    All-About lofty100e
    View lofty100e's Listings
    Forum Posts

My apologies Tony, I have read the thread as it evolved. but did not re-read it to when I did that post to find out if it had been mentioned previously. (Very busy preparing my listings, which is taking longer than I anticipated).
    To view my listings: click here: www.loftys-stores.com

To join eBid click this link: http://uk.ebid.net/buddy/253503

Forum Lurker
    View stampsandcoins1's Feedback (+272)
    All-About stampsandcoins1
    View stampsandcoins1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Correct me if I am wrong. We all have the opportunity to send the buyer an invoice within minutes of the sale if we are checking our listings. sales etc

I would NEVER demand immediate payment from a buyer, I would say have a browse around and take your time, no problem.

Why do some sellers bash their buyers over the head? Not good for business

Kind regards
    Alan

http://stampsandcoins1.ebid.net

Forum Master
    View tony41's Feedback (+10028)
    All-About tony41
    View tony41's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stampsandcoins1 View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong. We all have the opportunity to send the buyer an invoice within minutes of the sale if we are checking our listings. sales etc

I would NEVER demand immediate payment from a buyer, I would say have a browse around and take your time, no problem.

Kind regards
    Alan

If you go back in the thread to post #44, you will see a recent situation which happened to me. A seller clicked on BuyNow, then paid for the item, then repeated the process thereby paying two postage charges instead of one. I posted #44 into a thread which was advocating there should be an option that immediate payment required should be added to eBid. I suggested that this would cause confusion for some buyers and suggested alternatives. These have been taken up and refined by subsequent posts.
    In the case I quoted there was obviously no time to issue an invoice. In any case how many sellers sit by their computers waiting for a sale so that they can issue an invoice immediately. For example, my shops are set up so that there is no extra postage charge for second and subsequent purchases which is automatically applied unless buyers pay for items one at a time. A cart, which is a universal concept on almost all online selling sites and is therefore well understood, seemed to me, and others, to be a possible solution.

Forum Lurker
    View stampsandcoins1's Feedback (+272)
    All-About stampsandcoins1
    View stampsandcoins1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tony41 View Post
    If you go back in the thread to post #44, you will see a recent situation which happened to me. A seller clicked on BuyNow, then paid for the item, then repeated the process thereby paying two postage charges instead of one. I posted #44 into a thread which was advocating there should be an option that immediate payment required should be added to eBid. I suggested that this would cause confusion for some buyers and suggested alternatives. These have been taken up and refined by subsequent posts.
    In the case I quoted there was obviously no time to issue an invoice. In any case how many sellers sit by their computers waiting for a sale so that they can issue an invoice immediately. For example, my shops are set up so that there is no extra postage charge for second and subsequent purchases which is automatically applied unless buyers pay for items one at a time. A cart, which is a universal concept on almost all online selling sites and is therefore well understood, seemed to me, and others, to be a possible solution.
    Tony I agree totally. But there are other ways and means. Shipping calculator for example. You have bought many items from me (kiss kiss) and the postage has always been discounted. You are a credit to eBid
    Best wishes
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by stampsandcoins1 View Post

Kind regards
    Alan

I agree with your philosophy. I've had buyers who took several days to finish buying all the items they wanted. It's a given for stamps, coins, and postcards; collectors like to take their time, browse, perhaps track the total amount they are spending. I also have one repeat buyer who buys an assortment over several days, my suspicion is for gifts. I have no problem waiting for them to request an invoice, and I certainly don't want to give the impression that I'm rushing them!

On the other hand, I understand that for many sellers immediate payment is necessary for them to manage their inventory and avoid losing potential sales when an item is locked up for a week. That's about how long it takes me to flag a NPB and relist the item. While I don't mind, for others it obviously is an issue.

I think, if and when eBid addresses this, they MUST make both immediate payment and use of a shopping cart (if one is developed) an OPTION, and certainly not the default. In my case, with such a mixed assortment of items, my mind boggles at how a cart could calculate the correct postage. The shipping weight I enter is not going to give an accurate total weight when I pack several items together. And I DO NOT WANT to go back and get the actual item weight for 3,000 items, which would have to be an additional field for us all to add to our listings. Even that won't allow an accurate total shipping weight. How would the cart handle inappropriate combined shipping, where a human being has to decide after the items have been purchased? I can ship several glass or china items together, with careful packing. I cannot combine a 12-inch LP record and a heavy beer stein without using an enormous box and mounds of bubble wrap; it's cheaper to ship these separately.

I myself do not use immediate payment, but can understand other sellers wanting to use it. We run our business our way & other sellers have the right to run their business the way they want.
    So I don't understand why some sellers are upset at giving sellers the option to use immediate payment if they want to. It is not like every seller would have to use it.

I'd just like to voice my support for immediate payment required as an option. That is the only way I sell items. As some people have said before, its good for some sellers and it will attract more sellers to ebid. I bought the lifetime membership about 2 years ago and listed and sold about a dozen phones. NONE of them were actually paid for. Since I list on multiple sites I had to take those specific phones down from everywhere and wait. This is a huge cost for me in both time and potential profit. I no longer list here but I check back a few times a year to see if they have added immediate payment as an option yet. As soon as they do I will be back.
    I'm very surprised it took 3 pages to bring up the cart but yes that is best solution. I personally offer free shipping so it doesn't apply to me at all. However, ebay does their combined shipping (with immediate payment) pre-calculated by the seller. For instance, you sell one stamp with postage at $0.46 and each additional stamp is free or $0.01 up to 20 stamps. I know that's not a perfect solution but that may be something to consider. I'm certainly not an expert on other sites shipping details though, as I said I always offer free shipping.

Anyway, 1 more vote for immediate payment required as an option!

I have had 6 sales since the 16th, 5 are new buyers, only one has paid for items. I would like to see Immediate Payment. I am not having issues with Paypal, or Skrill on other sites, so I know this isn't the problem. Anyone else having this problem?

Forum Lurker
    View scorpioman's Feedback (+4704)
    All-About scorpioman
    View scorpioman's Listings
    Forum Posts

To me Immediate payment is a must, there are to many Idiots willing to hit buy it now and then walk away. Nobody will force others to use this feature so it should not be an issue. As for combined postage on items such as mine, just ask and I will provide a quote for postage, it really is that simple and I get asked at least once a day for such a quote. Move Ebid forward and give all of the options needed so that every seller can choose their way of selling

Thread Information